Sign in to follow this  
ctalpas

Pilot Emilie Spotlight

Undoubtedly videos of women flying tend to be popular.

That does not equate to it always being about sex though.

EXAMPLE: This clip below has 2 million views but it is almost certainly connected with the cute adorable, nervous but enthusiastic attitude and the excitement displayed on her first solo ...

There are plenty of examples outside of aviation.   It hard to fathom exactly why 12 year old Japanese schoolgirls in party dresses singing heavy metal would get 27,000,000 views and 2,000,000 subs and go on to form the most successful Japanese metal band of all time ...  but the fascination with Baby Metal clearly has something to do with gender -  but is not sexual

Then you have Sina, a German teenage drummer who has over a million subscribers and regularly gets hits in the tens of millions for drum covers of 70's classic rock, to the annoyance of technically better drummers who do not have her feel and enthusiasm for the music that makes her so popular, 

These critics often claim it is because she is female (and she does play a bit on the "wholesome teenager I would love to adopt" trope)  but having worked in the music industry it seems pretty obvious to me they are yet another sad example of someone that is technically brilliant but you may as well listen to a drum machine, no soul.  Sina has soul.   Is being young and female part of her appeal ? Sure. But is it sexual? Not really,

Sooo ... is the popularity of Pilot Emilee partly due to gender ?   Sure.

Is it also due to some weird sexual fetish people have about female pilots - well not really.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

25 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Undoubtedly videos of women flying tend to be popular.

That does not equate to it always being about sex though.

EXAMPLE: This clip below has 2 million views but it is almost certainly connected with the cute adorable, nervous but enthusiastic attitude and the excitement displayed on her first solo ...

Not intentional Glenn, but perhaps reiterates my point....."cute adorable".   These adjectives, while not specifically objectifying the subject, indeed lend themselves to "attraction"...."A cute, adorable lion cub" in the video title will certainly attract more hits than "A normal, everyday lion cub". 😉

Your innocent and unconscious thought to add those adjectives to the description would be completely overlooked if our discussion was not of the very meaning of attraction.

Yes.....obviously this vid has nothing to do with sex...nor does Emile's of course...however Emile's undeniable sex appeal "could" be overlooked (and should be) while she is pictured in her uniform (but as others have mentioned, WestJet needs to special-order some shirts for her uniquely shaped physique as not to risk blouse buttons unexpectedly popping and flying around the cockpit and jamming in the flight controls! 😲).  The additional pics of her that go along with that article showing her "out of uniform" can be viewed with whatever intent the viewer decides, however I'm not going to relate her in a bikini striking a very convincing super-model pose as anything related to aviation, would you? 😉

As to your vid.....I love watching young kid's reactions to their 1st solo....and this one was no exception (nor was Annalynn's, Abigail's, Maddie's....the list of cute, adorable young female aviators is long...young males, not so much 😞 ).   Sadly this is just reality.

My favorite part of Nat's video, is when she touches down....how her entire demeanor changes (she just did it after all!)....look at her face at 3:35 just after takeoff...full of concern, concentration...NOT having fun at this point....just does not want to screw up.  Then the touchdown at 8:09..."Yo Shutup!"...then again after takeoff, a few moments later...at the exact same point of her initial takeoff at 3:35...face and demeanor completely different...although in the same situation, but with one solo landing under her belt.  Smiling, relaxed, in complete control of the situation. I could watch that transition of demeanor all day!  She just realized that she is, in fact, a PILOT...in sole control of an aircraft, and all doubts up to that point she had floating around in her head instantly vanished when she heard the "squeak" of the rubber hitting the runway. 🙂 

58 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

This clip below has 2 million views

I don't want to confuse views with subs when I was mentioning how many Emilie had.  Very different metric. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

23 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I don't want to confuse views with subs when I was mentioning how many Emilie had.  Very different metric. 😉 

True. I agree on your Nat comments as well.

I had just added some examples from outside aviation as you posted, where there are a lot more subs and long term popularity (Baby Metal are huge), but basically whilst the appeal may be partially related to gender or attractiveness in a round about way ... it is not the core reason for the huge popularity. 

Worth noting is that they are all  examples of girls/women succeeding  in a mainly male dominated area.

We probably mainly agree on this.  

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

20 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I added some examples from outside aviation where there are a lot more subs and long term popularity (baby metal are huge), but basically whilst the appeal may be partially related to gender or attractiveness in a round about way ... it is not the core reason for the huge popularity.

Great examples and you're right......reasons for huge popularity on any social media site runs the gambit of things I would never expect would ever be "pop"-ular. (google dr. pimple popper....nuf' said about any subject being popular on the web, LOL)

Need to steer back to the subject.   Love aviation, love women (not going to apologize for that, ever).  When they intersect and make themselves readily available for public view, I'll watch them, probably enjoy them (but not JUST because of the gender choice).....Pilot Emile is very attractive IMO.  She is ALSO a Captain on the Q400, loves aviation in general, and is dabbling into flight simulation....and takes the time to produce and post her vids. (which is an accomplishment and a LOT of work in of itself). 
So even regardless of any other opinion I would have of her...respect the fact that she can, and DOES do it, with the obvious reason of her love of aviation. (you can't fake that in the eyes an aviation enthusiast who's loved aviation for over a half-century as I have).

So kudos for her and the recent spotlight she's been given, I think she deserves it (So does Chewwy94 as well....but...well....you know...I find him just as entertaining, he cracks me up, and laughter and humor is also a very "attractive" reason to watch vids....why do you think there are so many "Funny cats, dogs, Huskies, animals, etc" vids out there.   I'm particular fond of funny Husky vids....the coolest and funniest dogs on the net...although Boxers can also have me rolling on the floor). 😉  

Edited by Steve Dra
spelling

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 minute ago, Steve Dra said:

Great examples and you're right......reasons for huge popularity on any social media site runs the gambit of things I would never expect would ever be "pop"-ular. (google dr. pimple popper....nuf' said about any subject being popular on the web, LOL)

Need to steer back to the subject.   Love aviation, love women (not going to apologize for that, ever).  When they intersect and make themselves readily available for public view, I'll watch them, probably enjoy them (but not JUST because of the gender choice).....Pilot Emile is very attractive IMO.  She is ALSO a Captain on the Q400, loves aviation in general, and is dabbling into flight simulation....and takes the time to produce and post her vids. (which is an accomplishment and a LOT of work in of itself). 
So even regardless of any other opinion I would have of her...respect the fact that she can, and DOES do it, with the obvious reason of her love of aviation. (you can't fake that in the eyes an aviation enthusiast who's loved aviation for over a half-century as I have).

So kudos for her and the recent spotlight she's been given, I think she deserves if (So does Chewwy94 as well....but...well....you know...I find him just as entertaining, he cracks me up, and laughter and humor is also a very "attractive" reason to watch vids....why do you think there are so many "Funny cats, dogs, Huskies, animals, etc" vids out there.   I'm particular fond of funny Husky vids....the coolest and funniest dogs on the net...although Boxers can also have me rolling on the floor). 😉  

Yep, and the fact she is Canadian adds just another element of interest.

Though to be totally honest I actually follow Missionary Bush Pilot's channel a lot more closely than Emilie's most of the time.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Personally, I very much enjoy her content, she is a REAL commercial pilot, has a fantastic personality, and an easy voice to listen to.  These attributes alone would be enough to engage me as a viewer if she is posting about anything aviation-related.

Feeling a bit jealous now. I thought I was the only commercial pilot you followed 😂

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

58 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Feeling a bit jealous now. I thought I was the only commercial pilot you followed 😂

Get a channel and a shirt that fits like that and we'll talk. 😉

Just kidding .....before I get cancelled for a sexist remark said in jest. 🙄

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Just now, Steve Dra said:

Get a channel and a shirt that fits like that and we'll talk. 😉

Just kidding .....before I get cancelled for a sexist remark said in jest. 🙄

Ain't nobody wanna see that.  I seriously doubt my wife wants to most of the time haha

• Like 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Fairly attractive woman is popular in male-dominated environment. Well, I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you, to find this is the case... 🙃

Personally, I find videos by Mentour Pilot, FlightChops and Flightdeck2sim much more interesting/engaging. Each to their own, though.

I do hope that she, and all other aviation professionals laid off by the effects of the pandemic, will get back to the careers they love and soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

@Janov, I’m not arguing that physical appearance doesn’t impact social media viewership, but specifically your statement (intended or not) can certainly be interpreted as you saying she brings nothing to the table but good looks. To rephrase...Airline captain experience or baking cookies, she’s so hot it doesn’t really matter. Now I expect that you didn’t intentionally mean any disrespect in that comparison. It was probably an extreme juxtaposition used to illustrate a point about social media. You are an experienced airline transport pilot, correct? You know the hard work and long hours and financial sacrifice it takes to earn a captain position...and they certainly aren’t awarded on looks.

Again, on further reflection, I don’t think you intended any disrespect. Just understand and that it could be easily interpreted in a very different way. 

Chris

3 hours ago, snglecoil said:

Just understand and that it could be easily interpreted in a very different way.

To tell you the truth - it was a bit of both ways. I respect her for making it to the position of airline pilot, but I feel disdain for her employing her physical attractiveness to get clicks. And if you want to argue that intention, just look at the other pictures on her social media profile (the link is in one of the posts above) and tell me that her social media presence is only about her profession as an airline pilot and someone that likes to travel.

Edited by Janov
  • Like 1

Ha, well at least concede this practice isn’t limited to the female gender. There are a couple of particularly egregious examples who are male...that I won’t name to further promote their nonsense. 

Chris

1 hour ago, snglecoil said:

at least concede this practice isn’t limited to the female gender.

Absolutely. We had a First Officer in my airline that went by the name of "Pumping Pilot" on Instagram - his show of being in love with himself was so bad that some guys (probably his classmates from Pilots School) actually made a parody instagram account "pooping pilot" 😆.

Eventually (I heard) my company disallowed him to show any logos or decals of the airline in his videos.

Edited by Janov
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Janov said:

made a parody instagram account "pooping pilot" 😆.

That actually made me laugh out loud, fantastic.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU