Sign in to follow this  
jfri

P3D 5.1 is useless in VR because of these two issues

I try to use my new HP Reverb G2 with my flight sims among which one is P3D 5.1. VR works the worst in P3D. I have two show breaking issues

1) On many airports when going to VR I find my plane placed above the runway. It seem to affect random airports (for example 3W5 1S2) and nothing seem to help like Reset seated position or restore point of origin. I might point out that I use Orbx scenery. But the same flight shows the plane correctly placed on the runway when not in VR mode.

2) Severe shimmering. Like the other sims the world seem more fussy than on a monitor. But in P3D there is also a shimmering both on instruments and the outside world.

Do any one recognize this or have any idea about what to do about it ?

7 hours ago, jfri said:

I try to use my new HP Reverb G2 with my flight sims among which one is P3D 5.1. VR works the worst in P3D. I have two show breaking issues

1) On many airports when going to VR I find my plane placed above the runway. It seem to affect random airports (for example 3W5 1S2) and nothing seem to help like Reset seated position or restore point of origin. I might point out that I use Orbx scenery. But the same flight shows the plane correctly placed on the runway when not in VR mode.

2) Severe shimmering. Like the other sims the world seem more fussy than on a monitor. But in P3D there is also a shimmering both on instruments and the outside world.

Thanks for sharing. I use also A HMD Reverb G2 and have seen these issues too. I also reported them at the appropriate Forum over at LM to make sure the developers are aware and solve the issues.

I am confident that these are things that can be solved.

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

9 hours ago, jfri said:

This is a stupid thread title. Prepar3d is my favorite VR experience of the 5 sims I fly VR.

There's a difference between the sim being useless and the user having problems/not knowing how to use the sim.

VR should not change the location of the plane. Eye point, yes, plane sounds unlikely. Have never seen it in many hundreds of hours of P3D VR use. This suggests that the switch to VR mode is somehow changing the plane's altitude or the scenery mesh. Post a picture in external view to demonstrate if this is really happening.

Shimmering is a function of anti0alieasing. It is also worse on some old, non-SDK compliant objects and Orbx has lots of these.

Suggest choosing a less inflammatory title for your next VR post, sir!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

This is a stupid thread title. Prepar3d is my favorite VR experience of the 5 sims I fly VR.

There's a difference between the sim being useless and the user having problems/not knowing how to use the sim.

VR should not change the location of the plane. Eye point, yes, plane sounds unlikely. Have never seen it in many hundreds of hours of P3D VR use. This suggests that the switch to VR mode is somehow changing the plane's altitude or the scenery mesh. Post a picture in external view to demonstrate if this is really happening.

Shimmering is a function of anti0alieasing. It is also worse on some old, non-SDK compliant objects and Orbx has lots of these.

Suggest choosing a less inflammatory title for your next VR post, sir!

I can agree that a better title would be
P3D 5.1 is useless for me in VR because of these two issuesFrom my post it is indicated that it was I mean since I ask if other users have this problem thus suggesting that the problem is with my setup.Unfortunately a screenshot does not show what I am seeing in VR but rather what is seen on the monitor where it is not visible. But it is very clearly seen for me in VR where it looks like the plane is placed around 10 feet above the runway.

7 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Thanks for sharing. I use also A HMD Reverb G2 and have seen these issues too. I also reported them at the appropriate Forum over at LM to make sure the developers are aware and solve the issues.

I am confident that these are things that can be solved.

Marcus

I have also made a post about the first problem in the LM forum but only a couple of users has answered and they had not the solution.

Do I understand you correctly that you also see the first problem ?

10 minutes ago, jfri said:

I have also made a post about the first problem in the LM forum but only a couple of users has answered and they had not the solution.

10 minutes ago, jfri said:

Yes. Within P3D V5.1 and single pass mode there are some airports which have strange appearance of the ground. It seems like an invisible layer "above" the real groundlevel. Having vehicles, like your plane, GSX vehicles, etc., looks like they "hoover" above ground.

This issue does not occur when changing your VR mode to Stereo rendering, which is indeed very demanding.

I think it is that what you meant in your first issue. Right?

Issue 2 is also existing since P3D V5.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

57 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Yes. Within P3D V5.1 and single pass mode there are some airports which have strange appearance of the ground. It seems like an invisible layer "above" the real groundlevel. Having vehicles, like your plane, GSX vehicles, etc., looks like they "hoover" above ground.

This issue does not occur when changing your VR mode to Stereo rendering, which is indeed very demanding.

I think it is that what you meant in your first issue. Right?

Issue 2 is also existing since P3D V5.

Marcus

Yes I noticed that the issue is gone when switching to stereo mode.

I have also seen that in a couple of examples that the issue was gone after uninstalling the Orbx airport. But of course you don't want to do that. And after reinstalling the airport the issue was back.

VR is rubbish in P3D, no native-controller support, unlike X-Plane which needs no other software. 

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Jude Bradley said:

VR is rubbish in P3D, no native-controller support, unlike X-Plane which needs no other software. 

Because you have no native controller support it's rubbish?

O common. That's why the professionals at military are training with P3D VR right?

You could be a bit more constructive.....that would help. 

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

23 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Utterly unfair and inaccurate to say P3D VR is “rubbish”. DCS and MSFS are also built on a non-controller paradigm, and i’d hardly call them “rubbish”! It’s just designed to be flown in a different way ie with a HOTAS or similar hardware. For my money VR + HOTAS /yoke (+ Voice Attack for FOO) is more realistic than trying to click buttons or control axes with hand controllers. Axis control via hand controllers in particular feels very fake, and you can’t hold even one hand controller while using a yoke and throttle.

X-plane VR was my main sim last year, I switched back to P3D as my primary VR sim with version 5 and have not missed X-plane much (though I have fond memories of it and mean to fly it again some time!).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Ditto to above

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I agree VR is useless in P3D, but mainly because of the frequent GPU driver crashes.

spacer.png

On 4/4/2021 at 3:30 PM, Boomer said:

I agree VR is useless in P3D, but mainly because of the frequent GPU driver crashes.

I never experienced any VR-caused GPU driver crash in P3D. Have you tried to find the cause?

BTW, VR is (almost) perfect for me; I am using HOTAS, Pedals, a small gamepad and Voice Attack, which turned out to be much more convenient than hand-controller use in XP11.

Felix

5.4 crashes immediately when switching to Oculus VR, same ol same ol.

spacer.png

I'm on 5.3.  Waiting for 5.4 to finally settle down.

I'm fortunate to have flown P3D in VR, many hundreds of flights, using five different headsets starting with an Oculus Rift.  Throughout, my experience has been smooth as  silk, with no problems at all.  My settings in P3D are those I've carefully matched to the capabilities of my system.  I've no other explanation for my good luck.

I hope you can find a solution to your problems, for P3D can deliver an excellent VR experience.

Cheers, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.