Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The couldn't have made it more complicated, but they did...

On 3/30/2021 at 3:20 AM, qqwertzde said:

Of course, that is kind of a very old issue 🙂
asterix-and-british-food3.jpg

More classic than money

I can understand it for £5 and maybe £10 but £20 and especially £50 should be on paper.

Where are you? Not Guernsey.

Why 20 and 50 on paper? There are lots in circulation, so they wear out and need replacing. All plastic I favour.

Yes, Guernsey. Paper money here. We have our own notes and coins, although  UK dosh is accepted. We even have £1 notes.

Doesn't work in reverse though. UK shops won't accept Guernsey money. Banks aren't too happy either.

Edited by martin-w

Martin, simply because they're higher value notes and with so many people moving to non-cash methods of payment there should be far fewer in circulation than lower denominations.

Having visited family in Jersey it was a relief the pubs accepted Bank of England currency.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Typo corrected

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Martin, simply because they're higher value notes and with so many people moving to non-cash methods of payment there should be far fewer in circulation than lower denominations.

The notes last three times longer though. So save manufacturing cost. And they only need to last 1.33 times longer to achieve a lower global warming potential. Also harder to counterfeit. Can be recycled too.

Edited by martin-w

3 minutes ago, martin-w said:

The notes last three times longer though. So save manufacturing cost. Also harder to counterfeit. 

Yes, I accept all that but it still doesn’t feel like proper money.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I agree. We don't have plastic notes yet but I have seen them in New Zealand . We used to have 1 rand, 5 rand ,10 and 20s. Then with inflation, the 1's and 5's have been dropped, leaving 10's, which are getting very dog-eared. Then they added 50's, 100's and 200's. The way things are going, it won't be long before 500 Rand notes are introduced.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, I accept all that but it still doesn’t feel like proper money.

😀 Fair enough.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Having visited family in Jersey it was a relief the pubs accepted Band of England currency.

Band of England?  Would that be the Beatles? 🎸

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Band of England?  Would that be the Beatles? 🎸

🤪 K and D aren’t even next to each other. 😧 No, Dire Straits edge it for me. 😉🎸

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 3/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, Freo said:

Still dont understand why its called "math" in the States, while the rest of the world says maths !

Well, to be fair, it's called "math" in Canada, too.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Fair enough 😉

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

4 minutes ago, JRMurray said:

Well, to be fair, it's called "math" in Canada, too.

Oh dear. ☹️ What ever happened to arithmetic which is what most simple calculations are.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Oh dear. ☹️ What ever happened to arithmetic which is what most simple calculations are.

"Arithmetic" is still used for simple calculations in Canada. For example, elementary school-aged children study arithmetic. That said, I think that "math" is also used as well ... as in the "new math" that started being taught in elementary schools years ago.

Anyway, math is used at higher levels as well. I was the Associate Dean of the Faculty of Science and Horticulture for a number of years at a local university (I moved onto a directorship in November, 2020), and Math was one of the seven departments and programs in the Faculty. So ... math was taught (e.g., MATH 1100) in the Math Department. 🙂

Edited by JRMurray
Removal of a wayward space

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

1 minute ago, JRMurray said:

"Arithmetic" is still used for simple calculations in Canada. For example, elementary school-aged children study arithmetic. That said, I think that "math" is also used as well ... as in the "new math" that started being taught in elementary schools years ago.

But addition, division, subtraction and multiplication is arithmetic irrespective of age.

I’ve never heard a Brit use the saying and they would get a very strong stare from me if they did. I suppose that’s the downside of the English language being used by so many other countries. Variations become common but that is one that really grates with me. No offence intended.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Where I come from it was called ciphering! 🤔

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: