Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

London eats up all 24GB of VRAM

So I've been tuning, tweaking, fine-tuning and then some more for the last few days. Finally very happy with performance in my upgraded rig. CPU's strolling along at 20-30% usage, HT on. GPU usage is increased after WU4, hence at +90%. I don't mind this - performance is top notch, all ultra settings, 4K HDR, fps 40+ mostly, not dropping below 30.

EXCEPT: Did a flyaround today in various aircraft - G36, DA62, TBM. Orbx' EGTK Oxford, EGMC Southend, stellar performance all the way down to the tarmac. HOWEVER - approaching London City from northeast, and my rig is at it's knees. Fps way below 10 over the Thames. Funny thing is - GPU and CPU usage didn't exceed 50%. What did increase though was memory usage. Both RAM and VRAM in fact. Never seen so high usage on my system. Not in MSFS, not in Cyberpunk, not ever. Until today. MSFS sucked up all of the 3090's VRAM which Rivatuner reported as MORE than 24GB. RAM was also high - 34-35GB if I remember correctly. Did a PRT SCR just before landing at EGLL but somehow it didn't save. 

I've not seen any posts about this so I'm throwing this up to perhaps get some input as to whether anyone else has experienced anything similar. 

EDIT: Just remembered, somewhere passing Canary Wharf I got this message that my bandwidth was too low and the suggestion that I turned off photogrammetry. And so I did. The remedy was not enough to salvage the situation however. I had rolling cache on with a size of 50GB - I can never decide if performance is better with it or without. Not sure if it has anything to do with the issue at hand though. Btw my internet plan is 600Mb/s. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Dude... you need to upgrade you're computer... Lol just kidding. We have similar systems I will give it a try and report back. I have London city scape and London City airport both, I do remember this area being very heavy on the system from memory.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Maybe time to revisit this discussion:

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

7 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

Dude... you need to upgrade you're computer...

Just had a minor heart attack there. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Just had a minor heart attack there. 

LOL

I've not tried flying over London yet, but I've experienced the same thing when I'm over downtown LA. And I mean only in downtown and partly towards Hollywood, not in the more suburban areas. It almost seems like there's a memory bug.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I'm assuming it's a bug. Some sort of memory leak? Everything is pretty peachy otherwise, performance-wise. VRAM usage rarely goes beyond 13-14GB. 

Of course, trying to avoid entering menu from a flight as it gets annoying having the throttle idling. 

I flew today for the first time around Paris.  Maybe something to do with the cache but it was a stutter fest.  1 sec pauses for a minute at a time....then maybe 5 minutes of flying....1 minute of stutters etc.  Didn't go away until I was about 30 miles outside of the PG zone in Paris.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yea.  I have the same thing with Orbx EGLC and London City installed.  Impossible to fly to/from EGLC.  10fps at best. 

52 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I flew today for the first time around Paris.  Maybe something to do with the cache but it was a stutter fest.  1 sec pauses for a minute at a time....then maybe 5 minutes of flying....1 minute of stutters etc.  Didn't go away until I was about 30 miles outside of the PG zone in Paris.

I had to do some testing today for a dev so I went to Paris. I tried settings on Ultra but fps was not good. I disabled AI traffic and the sim became much smoother. I was able to successfully run with a setting of high-end. System RAM & VRAM were high, but I had a few gigs to spare.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just tried a flight around Paris (WU4 and Orbx Landmarks Paris City Pack. Didn't have any of the issues that happened in London. Stable fps 30+ all the way. Even directly above city centre at 1500 feet. TBM 930 by Mugz. GPU usage above 70% in most intense photogrammetry areas, otherwise 50-60%. CPU only around 20-30% - don't think it increased much above 30%. Hyperthreading on, 5,2GHz. FPS locked to 33fps in-sim (keeps GPU usage from running at +95%). Smooth all the way except few microstutters here and there. 

The worst performance actually happened on approach to Charles de Gaulle - had fps below 30 approaching the airport - seems it was loading - then around 30+ fps on approach and landing. 

Very happy with this performance. I could go try London again now. Or maybe not. 

EDIT: Almost forgot - highest RAM usage around 20GB. VRAM also 20GB.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Paris is just as bad.  It's like flying through a flipbook and eats up 26GB of RAM. London, the same

UB4jbFw.jpg

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I stay away from large metro areas just like in previous sims.  24GB of VRAM / RAM seems low from what I've seen of the world update areas.

Less is more I'm guessing lol.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER