Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

DirectX 12

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

Well, it is really simple in fact: y

The forums which are a bit agitated on normal days  will become wild if they really do that.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, Maxis said:

They can.. but will they.. and even if they do code for both will they optimize for both. Your example indicates that AMD raytracing was added after release while Nvidia's was built in before release.

Added to that Cyberpunks implementation of raytracing for AMD brings even 6900xt's to its knees which while technically correct that they can claim  they coded for both one could argue they didn't individually optimize for each implementation of it.

That's because AMD cards do not have dedicated hardware for ray tracing. Their "support" kills the performance like it did for GTX cards and Battlefield V.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

10 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

That's because AMD cards do not have dedicated hardware for ray tracing. Their "support" kills the performance like it did for GTX cards and Battlefield V.

The 6000 (RDNA2)  series has dedicated hardware for ray tracing.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3597292/rdna-2-deep-dive-inside-amd-radeon-rx-6000-graphics-cards.html#:~:text=ray tracing too.-,Ray tracing with RDNA 2,each RDNA 2 compute unit.

Again .. by no means there is performance parity when enabling Ray tracing from a purely hardware neutral perspective. Nvidia is on their second gen. RDNA2 is AMD's first gen. However, what i am hoping the developers are shooting for is "filling the gap" with optimizations where feasible and not half word not allowed it or simply just make it hardware neutral and call it a day. The sim still needs to play decently on both so it will be interesting to see what tech makes it and what gets dropped.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

21 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Stop it. Microsoft wants multiple things, but it will never be solely streaming as not everyone has reliable internet, they'd lose money.

21 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

They also talked about DX12 in the SDK Q&A this week, but I don't remember exactly what they said.

Edited by Tuskin38

To echo what Maxis posted above, there is indeed dedicated ray-tracing hardware in RDNA 2, in the form of ray accelerators. To explain it simply, each CU features a ray accelerator, however it shares resources with the texture mapping units, so only one of the functions can be performed at the time.

That said, it is important to note that most games right now are optimised for NVIDIA's implementation. Battlefield V was a launch RTX title, and undoubtedly the development team of Cyberpunk 2077 had a lot more time working with NVIDIA for optimisation (and considering how bugged this game remains, optimising for AMD is probably really low on their priority list at the moment). We need more time to gauge the full potential of RDNA 2's ray-tracing capabilities. Maybe Battlefield 6 at the end of the year, which is said to be ditching the old consoles.

2 hours ago, RXP said:

As a matter of fact, FS2020 has been using the AMD CAS Shader for some time now (I don't remember anymore what was the first version).

That would be 1.10.11.0 according to the patch notes. 1.10.7.0 was also said to replace the TAA/TAAU and sharpening algorithms (did not specify which ones), and I thought it looked really good at the time. 1.10.11.0 however boosted the sharpening's strength greatly, which in my opinion negated the higher-quality filter's advantages. Really wish they would provide an in-game toggle, or even better a sharpening strength slider.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Really wish they would provide an in-game toggle, or even better a sharpening strength slider.

The CAS Shader is working good in general, much better than their in-house shader in prior version in my opinion.

As for the strengh, I agree, especially given the CAS Shader code is meant to have a sharpen adjustable value...

At least if not in the UI, it would have been great they support manually editing the Sharpen value in the UseCfg.opt with fractional digits.

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Stop it. Microsoft wants multiple things, but it will never be solely streaming as not everyone has reliable internet, they'd lose money.

Please watch yesterday's Game Stack session video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x34g6tVLwc

At 2:33 "Our mission & strategy: Play the GAMES you want, with the PEOPLE you want, on the DEVICES you want"

But I agree with you, since Flight Simulator is not a game, this doesn't concern us 😈

Edited by RXP
grammar

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)