Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Today's Royal Navy?

On 4/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, Wink207 said:

8 Jets, 14 helos?

Can those numbers be correct?

Those numbers are not correct.

There are 21 F-35B delivered to the UK (48 officially ordered to-date).
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/more-f-35-jets-being-delivered-to-the-uk/

It's a bit more difficult to ascertain the number of frontline helos, including the Commando Helicopter Force's three squadrons, without falling back on Wiki for details.
Not to mention that there are numerous training aircraft, including Hawk T-1 jets.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, goates said:

I believe the F-35s might be technically assigned to the RAF, so don't show under the Fleet Air Arm.

The F-35B is absolutely a FAA aircraft. It's just that Wiki is not a good resource for information.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/aircraft/fixed-wing/f35-lightning

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Thanks guys.

Didn't sound right to me...but in this day and age...who knows?

Those two aircraft carriers should be able to carry up to 50 aircraft each. I really hope that the Royal Navy isn't thinking about putting a handful on them, and calling them warships.

In short....do it properly, or don't do it at all.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

17 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Those two aircraft carriers should be able to carry up to 50 aircraft each. I really hope that the Royal Navy isn't thinking about putting a handful on them, and calling them warships.

There are our F35b's on-board but there's also the US Marine's F35b's. At least 24 UK F35b's are the aim but the carrier takes up to a max of 36. So the remainder are the US marines' I would imagine.  Uncertainly remains regarding the extent of the final order for F35. They are saying that  a pool of about 80 aircraft might be required.

Only 36 aircraft for a ship of that size??

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Only 36 aircraft for a ship of that size??

Yep, apparently.  That's just F35, doesn't include other aircraft. Its a big ship by our standards, but not by conventional carrier standards.

If you include "theoretical surge capacity" they could cram in 72 aircraft total. Normal is 36 F35's and two helicopters. 

Edit: I shouldn't have said "max". In theory they can exceed that. Should have said "normal". They can certainly exceed 40 if required. Provision for more than two helicopters also. 

Edited by martin-w

On 5/7/2021 at 11:17 AM, martin-w said:

Normal is 36 F35's and two helicopters.

'Normal' is now expected to be 24 F-35Bs, but it's a lot more than just two helos - count 'em! 😉

HMS-Diamond-HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-Portsmou

Here's the official release regarding the upcoming Carrier Strike Group 21 deployment:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2021/april/26/210426-csg21-deployment

The aircraft in the Carrier Group include:

• 8x F-35B (617 Sqdn)
  • 10x F-35B (VMFA-211 from USMC)
  • 3x Merlin Mk2 (820 NAS) fitted with the new 'Crowsnest' airborne surveillance and control capability
  • 4x Merlin Mk4 (845 NAS)

^^All aboard HMS QE.

• 4x Wildcat (815 NAS). Two deployed on the two Type 23 Frigates and two deployed on the two Type 45 Destroyers for maritime attack.

And here's the anticipated build-up to full operating capability:

ALqp2nF.jpg

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

7 hours ago, F737NG said:

Normal' is now expected to be 24 F-35Bs, but it's a lot more than just two helos - count 'em! 😉

Read my replies again. I said they were aiming for at least 24. I also said more helicopters were possible. 

Edited by martin-w

Here's a picture of Wasp (compared to a real aircraft carrier), on which I spent many a not-so-fond day until I got booted off under disreputable circumstances that no one wants to know. She's really big, but supposedly can carry "just" 20 fighters. Carrying and using are two different things. Wasp makes a bit more sense to me, since it's really a big gator whose mission is to put Marines on the ground and give them air cover. I don't know enough about British naval strategy these days to say whether these are the right vessels for it. These are not "strike carriers." The last time Great Britain projected force in a big way they got a rude shock. I hope they're developing much faster nuclear submarines, too!

1920px-USS_Coral_Sea_(CV-43)_and_Wasp_(LHD-1)_underway_in_1989.JPEG

On 5/7/2021 at 10:45 AM, Christopher Low said:

i think they couldnt afford to buy too many f35s ??  

Im sure some top admiral said something along the lines of

"buy enough f35s to put on the deck to make it look like we have lots" 

14ppkc-6.png

7 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

The last time Great Britain projected force in a big way they got a rude shock. I hope they're developing much faster nuclear submarines, too!

Falklands would have been the last time and we were succesful

We have Trident nuclear subs, they are fast enough. Some would argue we don't need any.

Edited by martin-w

I don't know enough about British naval strategy these days to say whether these are the right vessels for it.

Our new carriers eguiped with F35b are very capable and suitable for our needs.

We have Astute and Trafalgar class hunter killer subs too.

Edited by martin-w

compared to a real aircraft carrier

USS Coral Sea, San Francisco's own, out of NAS Alameda

vtn_button1rc.jpg