Sign in to follow this  
charliearon

NASA gearing up to launch V'ger

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On a side note.....I would argue that Voyager 1 and 2 are currently nowhere near interstellar space.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

On a side note.....I would argue that Voyager 1 and 2 are currently nowhere near interstellar space.

What was their distance??  110 and 120 Billion miles out?  Once past our solar system, isn't that the beginning of interstellar space?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Unlike many people apparently, I thought the first movie was pretty good.  But the second and third were FAntastic!  Khannnnnnn!  hours like days ... minutes like hours  "well what if we don't go anywhere?" Well then this will be your big chance to get away from it all"

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

What was their distance??  110 and 120 Billion miles out?  Once past our solar system, isn't that the beginning of interstellar space?

The entire orbit of the hypothetical Planet 9 is well beyond the current positions of the Voyager spacecraft, and the Oort Cloud is way beyond that.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Interstellar space is usually defined as the space between the stars. Hence "inter" and "stellar". The distance between two stars is usually defined as the distance between the two heliopauses. Given the fact that Voyager 1 is now some 23 billion miles from Earth, and Voyager 2 is out some 19 billion miles, and given that our heliopause is 11 billion miles away, I'd say they are both well into interstellar space and have been for some time.

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Voyager is beyond the heliopause, which is usually considered the boundary with Interstellar space.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I disagree, but then I also disagree that Earth has seven continents :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

That'll largely be because it doesn't have seven continents. 🙂

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

22 minutes ago, Chock said:

That'll largely be because it doesn't have seven continents. 🙂

Are you counting Europe and Asia (Eur-Asia) as one because their land masses are connected?

Charlie Aron

Just now, charliearon said:

Are you counting Europe and Asia (Eur-Asia) as one because their land masses are connected?

I'm ignoring what everyone else says about it and instead following the criteria for what a continent actually is in terms of the meaning of the word, i.e. a big isolated land mass largely surrounded by water.

On most map projections of the Earth, when you squint so that you can make a fair appraisal of how things are bunched together or set apart, there are five (or six, depending on how picky you are about whether the Mediterranean is enough of a gap between Europe and the Middle East or not), but whatever you decide, it's definitely not seven. So that'd be North America, South America, Australia, Asia (including Europe, and possibly even including Africa as well since it isn't separate by much) and Antarctica.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I grew up recognising five continents (America, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica), and that's where it stays as far as I am concerned.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Continents have always been defined by convention rather than any strict criteria:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

By some of the logic used in this thread there are only 4 continents, America, Australia, Afro-Eurasia and Antarctica.

8 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

If we hadn’t done what we did at Panama and Suez, there could be an argument for three continents: America, Africa/Eurasia, Antarctica.

After the canals, late 19th / early 20th century Redneck geopolitics tried to force the notion of 7.
Europe was a continent: the Urals were where civilisation ended, and Oz was so far away as to be lucky to be classified at all.
New Zealand wasn’t thought about all that much either: but it is bigger than the UK.

But of course there are only five:

Continents.jpg

Interestingly around here we sit on a submerged continent called Zealandia. Once properly mapped it might be almost the size of Australia.
Being mineral-rich, it could cause us some discomfort in a resource-hungry future world.

Edited by WingZ
  • Like 1