Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Super Power My Machine

6 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

It may help in VR or if playing in 4k in Ultra, but it's unlikely anyone with a 2060 would have much luck at Ultra settings anyways.

He is running 1080p so a 2060 Super with 8GB VRAM should be OK to run Ultra.

However that also makes it less likely he will get a huge benefit from more RAM.

• Like 1

Start saving for a major rebuild if and when chip shortages subside more.   Install and run MSI Afterburner w/ RTSS to assess CPU/GPU/VRAM load continuously, and dial back settings until you can keep the CPU's main thread at 90% or lower, same for GPU at a maximum of 90% or so, and VRAM as well.  32Gb of RAM will help avoid more frequent paging but in terms of frame rate you won't get anything significant out of that change.  Keep your 1080p as moving to 1440p or 4K will only worsen frame rate ultimately, no matter what the parts.  Sit a little farther from the screen which subjectively sharpens image quality.

FWIW, for reasons I can hardly appreciate, ofttimes you can dial back settings substantially and hardly notice a difference.  Decide which settings matter most, run this as as able, and leave the others down to Medium or whatever is needed--still looks remarkably good I've learned.  I purchased a 3rd party airport that was really hard on my machine's capabilities (mostly all at Ultra, LOD 200/200, AF16x, 8xSSAA) and just dialing several back to Medium, LOD to 125/125, kept me in good smooth frame rate at 30 or better.  If your screen can do 30Hz try vsync to that--this will allow all parts to ONLY have to deliver 30fps ever, which certainly helps retain good fluid video while leaving headroom for spikes in demand.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

33 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

However that also makes it less likely he will get a huge benefit from more RAM.

It's not that great on Ultra at those specs, it's ok in less dense and rural areas. I had exactly the same PC as him and was playing in 1080p, but now I have the 5800 + 64 GB Ram (still have the 2060s though). GPU is the way to go. speaking from experience with his EXACT specs, upgrading anything else will not help. The issue is even if he were to spend $500 upgrading the CPU, he mise well skip it for now and just put that towards a new video card.

FYI to others
Most stutters are not memory related, they are bandwidth / server related mainly (there are other causes, but that is the main one). I can play stutter free with 16 GB, 32GB, or 64GB. I have 2 copies running on 2 different PC's here simultaneously, and I can absolutely 100% say with certainty that memory is a total waste of money unless you are in Ultra at 4k or VR (and even then it's tiny improvement). The stutters don't change if I change memory between the 2 machines, but they do change when I switch servers.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

16 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Yup, A 2060 super has no issue whatsoever with ultra everything at 1080p. (as long as you find 30fps minimum acceptable)  I only hit my vram limit in certain parts of London/Paris etc or poorly optimized freeware scenery.

Going from 16 to 32gb of ram made an immediate difference to how smoothly the sim ran overall, but of course made no difference to FPS.

The OP clearly has issues with his system somewhere if he's dropping into the teens or single digit FPS.

If the OP is reading this...   what other games do you run on that system?  If you have anything i run as well i'd be happy to test performance/settings to compare and see if we can find out what may be going on.  Or let me know what plane/airport combo you are getting such horrible frame rates at and i'll run a comparison test.

12 minutes ago, The_Moose said:

Yup, A 2060 super has no issue whatsoever with ultra everything at 1080p. (as long as you find 30fps minimum acceptable)  I only hit my vram limit in certain parts of London/Paris etc or poorly optimized freeware scenery.

Do you have a 2060 super?

Let's clarify, there is no such thing as an FPS, because it depends on the elevation.
So you'd have to say X-City at X-time setting with X-weather flying at X-elevation. 

If you say I get 30 FPS, unless you mean in ALL conditions in EVERY city, and there is no way a 2060 super can get 30 FPS flying over NY in Utlra at sub-1000 feet in elevation, it won't happen unless you tweak (and tweaking means your no longer truly in Ultra). It's even worse flying in a dual cloud layer (like flying between a low altitude top and bottom cloud layer).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

12 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Do you have a 2060 super?

First off, let's clarify one thing right now, there is no such thing as an FPS, because it depends on the elevation.
So you'd have to say X-City at X-time setting with X-weather flying at X-elevation.

Otherwise, no such thing as a universal FPS.

Yes, i have a 2060 Super/Ryzen 5 3600 combo like the OP

Any area, any weather,  from ground level to 10,000ft i stay at 30FPS locked.  (very occasional quick dips to mid 20's in the very worst circumstances)

I dont fly big passenger jets though. Strictly GA, The H135 and a few military jets.

Edited by The_Moose

3 minutes ago, The_Moose said:

Yes, i have a 2060 Super. Ryzen 5 3600 combo like the OP

Any area, any weather,  from ground level to 10,000ft i stay at 30FPS locked.  (very occasional quick dips to mid 20's in the very worst circumstances)

I dont fly big passenger jets though. Strictly GA, The H135 and a few military jets.

The planes can make a huge difference, so it just depends what plane you are flying as well.

I am guessing your not flying in pure ultra then, you are using a tweaked subset of ultra, technically Ultra means pure Ultra.
The reason I note that is because that is what reviewers and testers go by (unaltered Ultra).

NY is not 30 FPS on a 2060 Super with a Ryzen 5 3600 in Ultra 1080p, not the denser parts of the cities.
It is around 24-28 FPS if you are lucky when flying low, and it can even dip below 20 in short bursts in certain parts.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

16 hours ago, NZAA said:

Okay, first of all - I know there's a million and one topics on this but bear with me. 

I've got a Ryzen 3600X CPU, SSD drive, RTX2060 Super GBU 16GB DDR4 ram and I'm happy with the performance of MSFS.

But I get 8-20FPS in busy airports and want to crank up some settings to improve graphics. My love in this sim is scenery 

What options will give me best bang for buck and or what order should I do these in?

• Upgrade to 32GB DDR4 ram with 2 more 8GB cards
  • Move to 2x 16GB DDR4
  • Wait for DDR5 ram and get 32GB
  • Move to dedicated SSD
  • Move onto M.2 
  • Upgrade to Ryzen 5900X or similar
  • Get second GPU 2060 Super? (not sure if this can be done)
  • Just wait and get RTX 3000 series card

At this stage I'm playing 1080p but would like to increase this

CPU is the best upgrade if you want more FPS in urban areas. 

A Ryzen 5600X or 5800X would give you a serious boost. The 5600X would give you most bang for the buck. If you have some more money to spend I would go for the 5800X for more future proofing due to 8 cores. 

A 30-series GPU would give you more FPS overall, but in urban areas / busy airports the sim is being held back by CPU, not GPU. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

6 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

CPU is the best upgrade if you want more FPS in urban areas. 

A Ryzen 5600X or 5800X would give you a serious boost. The 5600X would give you most bang for the buck. If you have some more money to spend I would go for the 5800X for more future proofing due to 8 cores. 

A 30-series GPU would give you more FPS overall, but in urban areas / busy airports the sim is being held back by CPU, not GPU. 

I must politely disagree, because after you get the tweaking optimized, the CPU helps by 3-4 FPS. If you don't tweak, sure, but then everyone tweaks. That's why the tested CPU results are bogus, because no-one runs it like that (and if they do, they shouldn't). There are some basic tweaks which will make no real visual difference which level off the GPU/CPU combos and make it more GPU heavy.

I did exactly the same upgrade as you are saying, and I'm a programmer and an FS developer, I have in-depth ways of tracking the performance. The 5600 is worth it from the 3600 (I went from 3600 to 5800), but not in this VIDEO CARD market, I would put it all towards the GPU.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

16 hours ago, NZAA said:

But I get 8-20FPS in busy airports and want to crank up some settings to improve graphics. My love in this sim is scenery 

• Just wait and get RTX 3000 series card

I think you answered your own question here. Your priority is scenery. Get a 3080. Max out scenery and dial back CPU-intensive settings so you’ll always be GPU-limited. No other upgrades needed. Done.

-Elliot

• Like 1

Intel Core i9 10900k @ 5.1 GHz / Asus Maximus Hero XII / Nvidia RTX 3090 FE / 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-16-16-36 / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB NVMe / Noctua NH-D15 / EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 / Honeycomb Alpha Yoke / CH Pro Pedals / Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant / HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, Eman said:

I think you answered your own question here. Your priority is scenery. Get a 3080. Max out scenery and dial back CPU-intensive settings so you’ll always be GPU-limited. No other upgrades needed. Done.

-Elliot

Exactly, the problem is the best CPU upgrade for an AMD is the 5800 (or 5900), and you also have to buy a $100 cooler with it. That means after tax it's almost $600, the 5600 is a bit cheaper. But think about it like this, $600 less to spend on the card, mise well spend it on the GPU like you said, upgrade the CPU later when they go on sale like during XMAS (because CPU won't help as much).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

8 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I must politely disagree, because after you get the tweaking optimized, the CPU helps by 3-4 FPS. If you don't tweak, sure, but then everyone tweaks. That's why the tested CPU results are bogus, because no-one runs it like that (and if they do, they shouldn't). There are some basic tweaks which will make no real visual difference.

I did exactly the same upgrade as you are saying, and I'm a programmer and an FS developer, I have charts tracking my performance. People are just watching FPS counters, but they aren't truly using the proper tools probably.

Tweaking the simulator is definately important. 

I can only speak for myself, and I have mine dialed in. The biggest difference for me was not RTX 2080 Super to RTX 3090, it was R9 3900X to R9 5900X. That's on 3440x1440 100Hz with G-Sync. I rarely use the FPS counter myself anymore. G-Sync seems to handle the frame times such that FPS becomes less relevant. 

As an example, if I fly over desert or ocean, the FPS theoretically goes through the ceiling almost no matter what GPU you're using. If you fly into urban areas and busy airports, you will get held back by CPU. How much is up to your CPU and your tweaks. The thread starter said he wanted more performance in busy airports.

So I recommend a CPU upgrade.

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

7 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Tweaking the simulator is definately important. 
So I recommend a CPU upgrade.

Yes, but your in a higher res, he is in 1080p. The CPU won't help him as much, even in dense cities. I don't think he was planning on changing his resolution. He is also coming from a much lower-end GPU than you were on.

He is on an RTX 2060 Super. A 2080 Super is in a totally different league, it's not even close to the same ratio as what he is using. As a matter of fact, the 2080 Super is up to 50% faster than the 2060 Super, that's why it's not apples to apples.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Just now, Alpine Scenery said:

Yes, but your in 4k, he is in 1080p. The CPU won't help him as much, even in dense cities.
I don't think he was planning on changing his resolution.

I'm not in 4K, I'm in 3440x1440. 

He says he's on 1080p but he wants to increase this. If he wants to go to 1440p or 4K he needs more VRAM. That's when the GPU upgrade becomes more relevant again. Which falls into your argument. 

I just politely disagree about CPU not helping in dense cities, it definately helped for me. 

4 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I'm not in 4K, I'm in 3440x1440. 

He says he's on 1080p but he wants to increase this. If he wants to go to 1440p or 4K he needs more VRAM. That's when the GPU upgrade becomes more relevant again. Which falls into your argument. 

I just politely disagree about CPU not helping in dense cities, it definately helped for me. 

The CPU does help more if your GPU is at least a 2080, friend has that on his PC and we compared. The CPU doesn't help as much if you have a GTX 1070/2060 or lower, because it becomes GPU limited much easier than on a 2080+ or 3070+, especially at 1080p.

Edited by Alpine Scenery