Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

Justflight Warrior or turbo Arrow…which to get?

So Just flight is supposedly coming out with both planes, but the turbo arrow probably first. 
Which one to get? The turbo seems not that different from the PA28, which is great plane. It will be discounted though for owners of the PA28. 
How does the Warrior fit into the GA lineup between the Pa28, the A36 and the Mooney? 

What’s your preference?  

I own Arrow III and am actually more interested in the Warrior as it differs more from the standard Arrow than the Turbo version.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

The Piper Turbo Arrow is more useful for higher altitude touring since it is a bit speedier than a normal PA28 when up high, but it's not suited to terrible weather since it is not really equipped for serious icing conditions. It has a T-tail (not all versions) which can make it a bit trickier to land than the normal PA28 with a tailplane mounted lower down, since the elevator authority can be blocked somewhat by the wings at high angles of attack.

The Piper Warrior is pretty much the 'bottom of the range' PA28 with its fixed gear which makes it a favourite as a GA trainer or at least it did until cheaper aeroplanes started showing up, but it is a very sturdy aeroplane and not a bad VFR tourer. If you are using your flight sim to practice for real world training or some such, then the Warrior would be the better choice, since although it isn't as fancy, it is far more likely you'll find yourself in one of those than a T-tailed turbo PA28.

Basically, your Turbo Arrow is a bit like the Cessna 182T and your Warrior is more like a Cessna 172. The Mooney M20 shape was originally going to be made by Piper when they tried to buy the design as the basis for developing a rival to Cessna's 172, but they couldn't finalise a deal so they ended up designing their own aeroplane which became the PA28, the design for the M20, which had a lot of wood construction was fancied up a bit and given a bit more metal construction and put into production by Mooney and so it is a lot more upmarket than a PA28. Basically what Piper did when designing the PA28, was look at the Cessna 172 and determine ways they could make something similar for a bit less money. This means it has some clever innovations in its construction, but in some ways it is pretty basic because they also did not want to damage sales of their Comanche by making something which was as fancy as that is.

If you wanted a Piper more akin to the Bonanza or something, that'd be the PA24 Comanche, which was sometimes referred to as the 'poor man's Bonanza' although not because it is vastly worse than the Bonanza, just that it is vastly cheaper than it, although it is ever-so-slightly slower than a Bonanza.

All of the Just Flight PA28 derivatives were worth having in FSX/P3D, because they had enough subtle variations to make them all have their own character and it will probably be the same with their MSFS versions. With the exception of A2A's GA aeroplanes in FSX and P3D, the ones from Just Flight were about the best you could get, and their discount offers for people who'd bought other variants, plus their loyalty points scheme made them all pretty good value. You are unlikely to be disappointed with any of them.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yep, the Warrior is a touch slower than the 172 but not enough to matter.  Totally different handling to the 172 (they turn into a brick with flaps and no power) but fulfil the same role. Basic trainer and day tripper.

The Turbo Arrow is more like a Mooney in terms of performance but not quite as slick. It seems to sit in that same odd part of the market as the 182, 177RG etc - not super economical and basic but not quite a Mooney/Cardinal/Bonanza either.

Biggest differences:

• the Warrior is fixed gear with a fixed prop and slow
  • the Turbo Arrows are retractable gear with a CSU variable prop and above 10,000 feet relatively quick

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I would choose the Warrior (or get them all instead?😁)

The difference is greater between warrior/arrow III than vs the Arrow variants R/T. Nomenclature below:

PA28A : Warrior (Archer)

PA28R : Arrow III / Turbo Arrow III

PA28T:  Turbo Arrow IV

I'm on the JF beta, and they are passionate bunch. Their MSFS PA28's are all fine products, making the most of what is possible within the MSFS environment. Like all MSFS airplanes (not a knock on JF) , landing roll outs are not as realistic as I would have it in real life and some improvements in stalling characteristics is notoceable in my opinion.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

7 hours ago, Chock said:

The Piper Turbo Arrow is more useful for higher altitude touring since it is a bit speedier than a normal PA28 when up high, but it's not suited to terrible weather since it is not really equipped for serious icing conditions. It has a T-tail (not all versions) which can make it a bit trickier to land than the normal PA28 with a tailplane mounted lower down, since the elevator authority can be blocked somewhat by the wings at high angles of attack.

If anyone does find the T-Tail Arrow IV a problem the Turbo module does also include the Turbo version of the traditional tail Arrow III

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

If anyone does find the T-Tail Arrow IV a problem the Turbo module does also include the Turbo version of the traditional tail Arrow III

Yes, there is a low-tailed variant included too. I wouldn't sweat it though, it's different with the T-Tail, but it's not some kind of deadly death trap with the tailplane up there; it was just briefly trendy to do that on GA planes at the time because it looked more 'airlinerish'.

TurboArrow_MSFS_010421_8_VnpHEgqquhH.jpg

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

There's also one MASSIVE change with the JF Warrior compared to the Arrows - the AP has buttons not dials !

It's still a very basic single axis unit but it is slightly newer 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yes, there is a low-tailed variant included too. I wouldn't sweat it though, it's different with the T-Tail, but it's not some kind of deadly death trap with the tailplane up there; it was just briefly trendy to do that on GA planes at the time because it looked more 'airlinerish'.

TurboArrow_MSFS_010421_8_VnpHEgqquhH.jpg

I'm just happy to be getting an Arrow that can get to 10K ft before the heat death of the universe 🙂

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 2

Yup, the nice thing about having a turbo Arrow in the sim is that unlike the real things, it isn't a money pit either!

As they say, how do you get to be a millionaire?. Easy, you start out as a multi-millionaire and then get into aviation🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

BTW have there been any hints on possible release dates for the Turbo in any of the preview videos ?

• Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I will be all over the Piper Warrior when it is released since this is what I fly in real world. Just took her up on Friday so I am anxious to get one for MSFS.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 3

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

1 hour ago, PilotPete99 said:

Just took her up on Friday

Fridays are usually flydays for me aswell 🤓. 4hr x-country last friday.

DEKCCbQ.jpg

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

How bout the Just Flight Lancair Legacy?!

Haha I wish!

I'm going for the turbo arrow.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |