Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

United Airlines signs deal to buy supersonic jets

More than a dozen supersonic jets ordered from Boom.

• Upvote 1

Who in their right mind would ever set foot on an airplane made by a company named "Boom"?  🙂

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

53 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Who in their right mind would ever set foot on an airplane made by a company named "Boom"?  🙂

Do you know how many times that joke has been told in the comments section on YouTube? 600 billion times. 😁👍

I expect something original. 

Interestingly   this guy will be carbon neutral. They have teemed up with a company called Prometheus fuels that make aviation fuel from the air! All they need is CO2 from the atmosphere and renewable energy.  

In June 2019, Boom announced its partnership with Prometheus Fuels to supply carbon-neutral jet fuel during the XB-1 test program. Prometheus’ technology economically removes CO₂ from the air and uses clean electricity to turn it into jet fuel.

https://blog.boomsupersonic.com/boom-announces-first-fully-carbon-neutral-aircraft-program-dee6e4115f0b

https://prometheusfuels.com/

https://prometheusfuels.com/mission

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

The same people who would fly with Amelia Earhart luggage. Don’t know if that brand exists anymore, but I remember that it was among the prizes people could win on TV game shows years ago. I remember always thinking which marketing “genius” came up with that brand name?

• Like 1

I agree that Boom is probably the worst name a company making supersonic aircraft should be named.  People hated SS AC for this reason - BOOM!

But there is hope!  Lockheed Martin announced this program a few years ago to develop quiet SS aircraft. I posted this info back then, where I noted that fuel costs will make this tech impractical, for that's what basically did-in commercial SS travel over 40 years ago.  But this new SS tech coupled with Prometheus tech fuels...Bring It On!  In this light, perhaps Boom should consider renaming themselves Hush.

I just hope that Prometheus tech fuels are truly feasible.  You'd think that such carbon neutral fuel tech should be front and center of international attention for weaning humanity away from fossil fuel use.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Prometheus' technical explanation reads like science fiction and "too good to be true." I certainly hope its not sci-fi!

If this is really sound chemical science, I wonder just how much the infrastructure will cost to bring it into real use?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Glad to see that SS passenger aircraft may be returning soon.

As far as the magical, free "fuel from the air" is concerned, well, let's just say that I'm a bit skeptical.  First of all, has the company successfully done what they claim or are they just talking while taking money from investors?  How much will this wonder fuel cost? 

Moreover, everyone does understand that CO2 is necessary for life, right?  Plant life "breathes" this gas to live.  It's not a poison.  Anyway, I'm not sure that having large facilities all over the place(and it would take a lot of them to make a viable amount of fuel from the air) stripping CO2 and water from the atmosphere to make hydrocarbon fuels is such a great thing.  I thought that we were trying to transition away from hydrocarbon fuels?

There is no such thing as "net zero" emissions.  This is happy talk to make some folks feel less guilty while they're sipping champagne on a supersonic flight to Europe. 

Let's stick to developing safe nuclear power, making electric vehicles more efficient and practical, and conservation.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

59 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Prometheus' technical explanation reads like science fiction and "too good to be true." I certainly hope its not sci-fi!

If this is really sound chemical science, I wonder just how much the infrastructure will cost to bring it into real use?

Well, the company have signed an agreement with them so they must think its viable. 

NASA have been doing it. Their device converts to methane though. 

https://technology.nasa.gov/patent/TOP2-160

https://www.motortrend.com/news/direct-co2-to-fuel-conversion-technologue/

Transforming carbon dioxide into jet fuel using an organic combustion-synthesized Fe-Mn-K catalyst

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-20214-z

Now Prometheus Fuels is aiming three new silver bullets at this problem:

• Aqueous CO2 electrolysis using base-metal catalysts to turn CO2 directly into ethanol;
  • Separating the ethanol from the water without an energy-intensive distilling process; and
  • Upgrading the ethanol to gasoline, diesel, or jet fuels using exothermic catalytic reactions, which give off heat rather than absorbing it.

The CO2 collection step still requires a large air-to-water contact area like a cooling tower. But rather than trying to chemically isolate pure CO2, the electrolysis step can happen with just 2 percent CO2 in water.

The electrolysis step employs sheets of graphene covered in carbon nanospikes doped with copper nanoparticles. This anode's intense folds and spikes help reduce the CO2 to CO and then grab hydrogen from the water to form ethanol at a 63 percent Faradaic efficiency (the number of electrons that end up in the ethanol) with 84 percent of the CO2 becoming ethanol.

Ethanol then gets separated from the water via carbon nanotube membranes that are highly selective for alcohols while rejecting water (I have friends like that). Minimal energy is consumed in this step.

Upgrading from ethanol to complex hydrocarbons involves novel but inexpensive zeolite catalysts involving indium and vanadium (InV-ZSM-5). The reaction takes place at atmospheric pressure without added hydrogen, and the process can tolerate water in the intake stream. It occurs at elevated temperature, but the overall net reaction produces its own heat.

The resulting CO2-based crude stock contains no sulfur, benzene, heavy metals, or other impurities that petrochemical refiners must contend with. A third of the resulting liquid hydrocarbon mix includes chains of five carbons or more, and the calculated research and motor octane numbers are 105.7 and 90.6, respectively. The entire process can be operated with (clean) electrical input only and can be turned on and off quickly to match intermittent renewable energy supplies.

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Do you know how many times that joke has been told in the comments section on YouTube? 600 billion times. 😁👍

I expect something original. 

I don't do "You Tube" so it's original to me.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

37 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

As far as the magical, free "fuel from the air" is concerned, well, let's just say that I'm a bit skeptical.  First of all, has the company successfully done what they claim or are they just talking while taking money from investors? 

See the article in Nature and other links above. I recall this has been regarded as feasible for something like 100 years. 

37 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Moreover, everyone does understand that CO2 is necessary for life, right?  Plant life "breathes" this gas to live.

We've put plenty of excess carbon into the atmosphere.  Half the C02 we have emitted since the early 1800's is still in the atmosphere, the rest is in the ocean. This process takes it back out. Or put another way, the CO2 they take from the atmosphere gets put back in by the engines. 

I thought that we were trying to transition away from hydrocarbon fuels?

We are. But we can't do supersonic flight or even medium haul journeys without jet engines currently, This way the CO2 they generate can get taken out again for the fuel manufacture. Pretty much. 

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I just hope that Prometheus tech fuels are truly feasible.  You'd think that such carbon neutral fuel tech should be front and center of international attention for weaning humanity away from fossil fuel use.

There has been a lot of interest and research into the process over recent years. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

See the article in Nature and other links above. I recall this has been regarded as feasible for something like 100 years. 

I should have been more specific.  I mean doing it on a large scale, big enough to provide ample fuel for jet aircraft.

It's one thing to do something in the laboratory or on a very small scale, but a whole other ballgame to scale it up enough to produce millions of gallons of fuel per year.

Anyhow, I'm all for it as long as it doesn't end up having adverse impacts on the atmosphere and doesn't use more energy than it produces, like ethanol production which is a scam IMO.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Believers will invest, looking for another opportunity like early Tesla!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Concorde was never too loud. It stayed within the noise limits set by the US authorities when departing JFK. I have no knowledge of departures from Washington. The Canarsie departure off 31L at JFK was very challenging but with judicious application of the throttles the noise limits were rarely breached.

As for Boom. Well there are no reheats so noise levels will be lower but it will be interesting to see how much runway is required to get 70 pax airborne given it also has no flaps.

Concorde’s slower relation 60 years later. 215mph slower and with fewer pax. Progress? Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather