Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

To Steam or not to Steam that is the question

Steam is your friend.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

On 6/25/2021 at 5:55 AM, Noel said:

Can't see the point of putting another piece of software between installers and the sim.  MS Store has been 1000% flawless, I've had only a very rare CTD, never any problems with any updates, never settings altered after an update, etc.

That's how I feel. I thought why introduce another piece of software.  Steam really started irritating me when the community stuff started crashing my games and then I'd have to figure out what mod I was subscribed to was crashing the games. I didn't want a repeat with Flight Simulator.

Last night I tried to play Ghost Recon:  Wildlands after a 7 month hiatus, on Steam, and it was stuck in an endless loading loop, so that was the end of that.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, aniiran said:

Steam really started irritating me when the community stuff started crashing my games and then I'd have to figure out what mod I was subscribed to was crashing the games. I didn't want a repeat with Flight Simulator

But that's not Steam's fault, it's the mod maker's fault.

If you start getting crashes in MSFS you'd have to do essentially the same thing. Go through all the addons in your community folder one at a time to figure out which one is causing a crash (if it's the addon's fault and not the sim itself).

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Last night I tried to play Ghost Recon:  Wildlands after a 7 month hiatus, on Steam, and it was stuck in an endless loading loop, so that was the end of that.

What had an endless loop? If it was the game, how the hell is that Steam's fault?

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

What had an endless loop? If it was the game, how the hell is that Steam's fault?

I think it's time to ignore Tuskin38 as he's hell bent on being confrontational.  Bye Bye, adios, sionara, auf wiedersehen.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm on the Steam edition but the big downside to Steam is that you don't get future access to the XBox version like you do with the PC MS Store version.

If this had been explicitly communicated to buyers I might have bought the MS Store version instead, just in case I ever wanted to play on the XBox.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

7 hours ago, Noel said:

I have Steam and I have that game too and I also went back to GRW after a long time but have not seen that issue. Is it Steam not loading or the game itself? Check to see if Steam and the game itself are updated to latest version. Also check in Task Manager , kill Steam from there and restart.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I think it's time to ignore Tuskin38 as he's hell bent on being confrontational.  Bye Bye, adios, sionara, auf wiedersehen.

Confrontational? What? I was asking a question.

37 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

I have Steam and I have that game too and I also went back to GRW after a long time but have not seen that issue. Is it Steam not loading or the game itself? Check to see if Steam and the game itself are updated to latest version. Also check in Task Manager , kill Steam from there and restart.

Steam loads, the game splash screens display, then it's just gets stuck w/ the word LOADING and never stops.  I did use TM to kill and retry, but no joy.  I'll get back to it and fix it at some point thanks.

Noel

For somewhat illogical reasons based around disliking Valve and finding many Steam users a sort of toxic version of full on Apple fans I try and avoid Steam whenever possible. On the odd occasion where they have a complete monopoly on a particular game I want and I am forced to buy it on Steam if I want it at all,  Steam does work OK for me -   though I find it really annoying you must run Steam to play the games (other store fronts like Epic only require you to run their app when you want to update your library) .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Steam loads, the game splash screens display, then it's just gets stuck w/ the word LOADING and never stops.  I did use TM to kill and retry, but no joy.  I'll get back to it and fix it at some point thanks.

Ohh ok, could try verifying files. Good luck!

First thing I did was google it, and others have had this happen, but I saw no 'fixes' per se.

Noel

14 hours ago, Noel said:

Then that's a game issue, not Steam's.

I went with steam for the following reasons:

• I've used steam since they first rolled it out for the original half-life and it has always worked well for me.
  • I find the file structure and permissions used by MS store apps to be annoying.
  • I heard many complaints about download/update issues with the MS store.
  • I have found the DRM to be more restrictive and problematic with MS store.

Some downsides to the steam version:

• DLC is not managed through steam and this causes issues with receipts/proof of purchase. It also makes refunds difficult. As a result, I generally buy directly from addon developers.
  • License will not transfer to the Xbox version.

Overall, I'm happy with the decision to use steam.

• Like 2

Steam for me seeing as I've used it for years and need SteamVR for VR usage anyway, works just fine for everything i use it for.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)