Sign in to follow this  
rob0203

New Atc software announced

I messaged them on Facebook and they replied pretty quickly. From the reply it does sound like it's a one-person dev team. I asked if they would do a Q&A on Avsim to answer some of our questions, but, quite reasonably, they replied that they are busy working on their release but that they do intend to put out more info soon, and that there will be a product support forum here eventually.

I'm happy to just wait and see. Stuff like this that can be built for both P3D and MSFS is one area where we can hope to still see innovation that will benefit P3D users.  

• Like 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

14 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

From the reply it does sound like it's a one-person dev team.

That really surprises me. How can one person know everything there is to know about ATC rules and phraseology for both FAA and ICAO, trigonometry and crack the problem of controlling Ai in the ESP engine? That last one has never been solved to any great degree. My expectations have been lowered.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That really surprises me. How can one person know everything there is to know about ATC rules and phraseology for both FAA and ICAO, trigonometry and crack the problem of controlling Ai in the ESP engine? That last one has never been solved to any great degree. My expectations have been lowered.

Well, judge for yourself... here's a portion of the reply from Facebook:

Regarding Avsim and Flightsim - I do have a plans to open forums and post articles. And not only... For now I'm more busy to finish things up for production

The use of 'I' everywhere (and there was more) strongly suggests it's a one-man band. But it's also clear that English is not their first language so I may just be reading things into the reply that aren't there. 

1 minute ago, neilhewitt said:

Well, judge for yourself... here's a portion of the reply from Facebook:

Regarding Avsim and Flightsim - I do have a plans to open forums and post articles. And not only... For now I'm more busy to finish things up for production

The use of 'I' everywhere (and there was more) strongly suggests it's a one-man band. But it's also clear that English is not their first language so I may just be reading things into the reply that aren't there. 

You’re right Neil. English is not his first language but that isn’t necessarily a drawback. It’s just that the complexity of an ATC program requires more than one person as the knowledge and skills are so demanding.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Having read through their site there is mention of the team when referring to different aspects of the development. High hopes that this will work well. I still want a working voxatc type program for all my sims though.

While I welcome any development in this area, I am also skeptical that we will finally see the "real deal". None of the existing developments has really reached a broad adoption and become a staple in the same way ActiveSky has when it comes to weather, for example. Personally, I find that default ATC + Edit Voicepack + EVP mods still give the best result, which is not a bad one. Still, improvements are greatly needed. But these should ideally come from within, i.e. from LM themselves. However, P3D is not an ATC simulator. Since ATC is still a human task for the most part (a complex one at that), replicating real-world operations would likely require some type of artificial intelligence, which is of course a highly sophisticated endeavor. Therefore, I cannot see it happening. It would be a good start though if ATC started giving climb clearances earlier than 200 feet before level off...

14 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

The existing ATC programs have rested on their laurels too long. Pro-ATC/X gets an annual update (if you're very very lucky). Radar Contact is basically abandoned (not in a bad way, the devs just aren't developing it any more), IIRC. PF3 is not super-friendly.

Pilot2ATC is actively developed by a very responsive developer. It's voice controlled though -- more realistic but, I know many prefer menus and buttons.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 minute ago, Pete Dowson said:

Pilot2ATC is actively developed by a very responsive developer. It's voice controlled though -- more realistic but, I know many prefer menus and buttons.

Pete

Hi Pete.

Yes, I have Pilot2ATC but I've never really gotten into it, largely because I do prefer key control. One day I'll feel confident enough to go on VATSIM. But not today. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sound expert and volunteers for mass recording of all the wav files required. RC4 has over 3,000 for a Controller and 2000+ for a pilot.

These days computer synthesis saves all that and can be very realistic, not "robot-like" like those of the past. However, good voices are rather expensive (but not when compared to the cost of a hardware cockpit!! 😉 ). I have about 16 different voices, but they did cost between £300 and £400 all told. 

Pete

1 minute ago, neilhewitt said:

Yes, I have Pilot2ATC but I've never really gotten into it, largely because I do prefer key control. One day I'll feel confident enough to go on VATSIM. But not today. 

I did enlist in VATSIM, but like you I'm not confident enough and hate to make a fool of myself. That's why I tried Pilot2ATC. Hopefully I'll develop confidence with that (though, admittedly, lot of the time I'm using a "Say It" button to get a copilot response. That's mainly because most of my flights are for testing things -- changes in my drivers or in the ProSim software I'm using).

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete Dowson said:

These days computer synthesis saves all that and can be very realistic, not "robot-like" like those of the past. However, good voices are rather expensive (but not when compared to the cost of a hardware cockpit!! 😉 ). I have about 16 different voices, but they did cost between £300 and £400 all told. 

Pete

Hi Pete, how do you findPilot2ATC compared to Voxatc, which was always my go to until wanting voice atc for MSFS?

6 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Pete

If the ATC program itself is very good then I wouldn't mind buying additional voice sets. The main thing is that they can be added to when new airlines come along. What about pronunciation? Listen to Nicosia in Radar Contact as a classic example of wrong pronunciation.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

how do you findPilot2ATC compared to Voxatc, which was always my go to until wanting voice atc for MSFS?

I  tried VoxATC for a short time when my cockpit was using a flat screen and single projector, but even then I didn't really like having to use the sim's screen for interaction. With Pilot2ATC there's nothing at all on my curved screen, everything I need including a conversation log (in case I missed something) is inside my cockpit once P2A is connected and a plan has been filed.

I main deficiency in P2A at present is the lack of AI control and interaction. ATC does beat it in that area, certainly.

I did look again at the most recent version of VoxATC but although there were hints about running it on a networked PC I could see no way of completely stopping all use of the sim screen or of getting what it does need into one of the smaller PC screens in my cockpit.

Pete

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What about pronunciation? Listen to Nicosia in Radar Contact as a classic example of wrong pronunciation.

Yes, this does occur with synthesis as well of course.  For more general words, as opposed to proper names these are often spelled peculiarly (internally) to get them pronounced correctly.

If you are interested enough you can go to one of the voice websites and get selected voices to say whatever text you enter. A "try before you buy". Typical website is https://harposoftware.com/en/ which has a large number of voices. Another would be Cereproc.

Pete