Sign in to follow this  
dsmbell

Solved my CTD issue

Hi, thought I would post this in case it helps anyone else.

I have been experiencing random CTD for the last few months (Sim was previously stable) and I have now solved this. I have been having trouble for a long time with the wifi occasionally dropping out (on my pc not the router) for a couple of seconds (which I am yet to solve), previously this wasn't an issue for MSFS as I would just get a 'lost connection' error and a few seconds later it would re-connect. However, I have found that my CTDs were timed with the wifi dropping out. I have not been getting any error in MSFS as I did before, it was simply resulting in an immediate CTD. I now connect my PC via ethernet - no more CTDs.

I can only guess that in one of the updates that Asobo has done something to the error reporting when network connection is lost such that the Sim is no longer able to cope with network loss.

• Upvote 1

Intersting, I would have never thought that folks were running this latest sim over a WIFI.  The impact on slower transmission rates (about %10) alone drove me to a hard connection years ago.  Say nothing of signal loss.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

My new PC came with built in WIFI and even has two antennas which I never bothered to mount. There is something I will never use. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

31 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Intersting, I would have never thought that folks were running this latest sim over a WIFI.  The impact on slower transmission rates (about %10) alone drove me to a hard connection years ago.  Say nothing of signal loss.

I've been using wifi since the beta. Never had an issue with connection or updates. I'm using the built-in wifi on my motherboard. I'm using the msi mpg z490 gaming edge wifi. 

Hi, thanks all for the comments. I would use ethernet all the time but the location of my router and pc don't make this easy. The wifi I was using was on my Asus motherboard but that was dropping out about every 30 min. What is strange is that something changed in the sim - previously I just got a brief error when it dropped out, now immediate CTD unless I run the ethernet cable to stop the drop out.

Been using the built in Wifi on my rig since i built it. Rock solid connection with no dropouts or issues. I also use the same rig in Zwift (online cycling training and racing ap) which is even more sensitive to connectivity. Tech has evolved and when implemented correctly it just works..

I cant see myself going back to a wired connection for home use. With the one exception being my xbox  which is pretty much next to the router anyway.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I get 600 mbit/s via 5Ghz WLAN, using a PCIE wlan card, I get pings below 5 in Battlefield games, perfectly fine. No idea why I should go through the hassle to install an ethernet cable reaching fron the router to the office where my rig is placed. And no, never had any CTD in MSFS due to WLAN neither...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I use Wifi also without problems, it ranges from 40-50Mbps. Not super fast but does the job. Late at night it jumps up to about 80-100Mbps. 

On 7/5/2021 at 4:09 PM, Bobsk8 said:

My new PC came with built in WIFI and even has two antennas which I never bothered to mount. There is something I will never use. 

Mine did too and I hooked it up with the only expectation of using it with my phone when my internet cuts out and I need to remote into work using my tether. 

Little did I know that most wireless controllers not only do wifi but also Bluetooth... and it is BA I can be in my kitchen two rooms over and they can still hear me on my conference calls. 

Tyson Rose

That's very interesting, hopefully the info helps some people. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s