Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pardue802

Is it time to go Mac?

>I think I've heard of MAC.>They're computers for kids, aren't they?I think so...They come in a bunch of weird colors and shapes, I believe.L.Adamson

I've also worked prefessionally with MAC's since the SE.The biggest complaint has always been, and still is, that the Apple/ MAC OS implementation does not allow the intense personalization and customization of the PC.Moving to unix based OS has helped - but the MAC is more big brother than Windows, even Vista.Complaints about Vista driver signing, incompatability of addon hardware - I see that all across this thread.The great stability of the MAC is due to much stricter hardware and software compatability requirements than the PC/ XP / Vista.The concept of the hardware abstraction layer and denying hardware access if it is not certified and verified was stolen from the MAC by Microsoft.DRM is already implemented on the MAC, yes at a lower layer - but it is there. Microsoft never invented anything - all their 'best' ideas come from others and this one comes from Apple - like so many.Don't get me wrong, MAC's are fantastic computers - largely because people give up much of the ability to 'tinker' with the inner workings that PC gamers like those on this forum love.From a corporate network standpoint they are great because users cannot mess them up like they can PC's. I'd love to have our half-million computers moved over to MAC. It would cut our application and hardware issues by half. Because people can't mess them up so much.I really regretted the day we dumped 10,000 MAC's in 97 and went to IBM laptops.The biggest problem the company I work with has is viruses. We only have a couple thousand MAC's, and have not found a corporate edition centrally managed AV solution for them.There are viruses which attack MAC's every month. Thankfully for us, they are a low profit return for the virus writers - so their efforts are focused on the PC.MAC's a very good - but going to a MAC to get away from Vista's restrictions is not going to be a decision people will be happy with in a year or two.

Guest gmoney

>>I think I've heard of MAC.>>They're ********s for kids, aren't they?>>I think so...>>They come in a bunch of weird colors and shapes, I believe.>>L.AdamsonYou guys need to keep up with the times.Macs run windows and any other OS natively via bootcamp.I'm running XP and FSX @ 1922X1200 on my 24" mac with 20fps or higher with autogen off.That's the only reason i use windows on my mac.I recently switched to the mac osx about 2 months ago and i swear i will never go back to windows.

It seems to me that if Steve Jobs now has the Mac OS running on Intel he could do the same with AMD. I often wondered why Apple won't code their OS to run on any hardware and give MS a run for their money.Maybe it's because MS sunk $ 150,000,000 into Apple back in '97.Jobs has long said, and his vision has always been, that the MAC is a PC where the user does not have an open architecture.Where every hardware item put into the computer will be certified and verified. Cutting edge or oddball hardware will be denied access to the OS.Jobs concept is stability - and keeping complete control of what the hardware and software can do is essential to that concept.Selling the MAC OS without the hardware really doesn't make financial sense. OS over the counter sales are a very minor part of the sales / profit.It's kind of funny all the promotion and hype over Vista. It was the most highly sold and profitable OS ever before a single box hit the shelves. OEM sales are where the money is made.The main value to Microsoft of sales over the counter is to get Vista onto the home computers of decision makers in the corporate IT world - to speed the introduction of Vista to corporate enviornments.As to why MS put the money into Apple.I have two thoughts.(1) MS needs a rival - best one with as small a market share as the MAC - to avoid significant monopoly issues.(2) MS needs Apple to keep innovating - so they can 'borrow' the great ideas. MS never invents anything.

>"- If MSFT is so "despised", "alienated," and "completely>ignoring which direction the overall industry is going," why>is its stock at 52 week highs?">>Do you need the stock market to decide for what you will have>for breakfast ? Unless "Stock Market" has become the new>Intelligence Quotient...>>Jean-Paul> >Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT>TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi>T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2>Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster>204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 ProThat comment shows you don't understand the market. Of course I don't let it tell me what's for breakfast, and neither do I let a bunch of anti-MS zealots influence my thinking on a forum.The stock market is the barometer of what people think of a company and the direction in which it's headed. Whether or not people want to invest in your company is a very important indicator of whether its direction is considered correct.Since the comments made were about Microsoft heading in the wrong direction and being "despised", the market is very relevant. It seems that whether due to technology religion or just piling on the bandwagon, it's become really popular to bash Microsoft. My response to all of it is that if people really hated MS and its products, and voted with their wallets, then Apple and Linus Torvalds would be at the top of the heap instead of bit players. That hasn't and won't happen. BTW, if you talked to CIOs and CTOs as I do about technology, they are not worried about how many frames they get from FSX. They are thinking about how to get business value from technolgy that translates to their company's bottom line. That's real life.

Guest Charlie

>I'm writing this post on one of my two "beloved" Macs (I'll>post pics of them if you don't believe me) and I still say you>(And a few other people in this thread) are full of crap>here.>>Anyway, exaggerated FUD regarding whatever is not good for>anything useful, and usually it doesn't really fool anyone>either.>>Ahhh....riiiight....Much better than we have the clear, concise enlightenment brought about by this gem. Your last sentence sure gets us back on track. :-ufo2

>If Macs are 'for kids', why are they the only computers>Hollywood or most photo pros will use?Because most photo pros are kids?!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest diajohn2

Good one Reggie.Actually, I think Macs are great machines for their users. They are attractive and have great graphics. You don't have to worry about appications making the machine go belly-up. It doesn't get attacked.Its easy to make a machine with great graphics, complete compatability with software and no viruses.I think they often call them Wi, Playstation, Xbox.

No need for much of a computer to process video? I don't know what kind of video you process, but the production video many of deal with takes a bit more than just "much".Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest RGH

Hi I always thought that Mac's came from Scotland Rex:-yellow1 :-yellow1 :-ukliam Did I say that sorry jock

Guest cwright

>FSX is a disaster,.......I regard FSX as the best flight sim I ever used, by far. Some disaster....Best regards, Chris

"...The stock market is the barometer of what people think of a company and the direction in which it's headed. Whether or not people want to invest in your company is a very important indicator of whether its direction is considered correct."You seem to be a bit mixed up between what is best for consumers and what is best for shareholders... This thread is about consumers exploring other and perhaps better OS options... Not about Microsoft's profits. Unless you still believe that profits=quality ?"... neither do I let a bunch of anti-MS zealots influence my thinking on a forum..."Nothing to worry about, it is actually quite hard to influence your lack of thinking.Jean-PaulAsus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4