Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

ASP3D + ASCA Perf vs EA

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Maybe its blooming but it looks better , more dramatic and real

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwr22qk24703w54/AADU2bz10JwNryWzkB0v5nkea?dl=0

Michael Moe 

Sitting on the fence with EA on. It's very subjective.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So in short, you can't have volumetric clouds with EA enabled? Correct?

You can have 2d clouds (ASCA type) or volumetric (trusky) with EA enabled, with EA disabled its 2d only aka legacy atmospherics 

Thanks. I've reduced Volumetric Clouds setting to Off. Volumetric Fog is shown as selected but is greyed out so I'm not sure if they're on or off. HDR is off.

The result isn't an instant turn-off although there are some issues. There's a bright white area on the horizon which seems to disappear once I'm high enough. Is that normal?

The outside view is brighter but the cockpit one is duller. I've only tried one flight with the Carenado PC12 so need to try other aircraft to see the impact with those.

No fps hit for me. My monitor runs at 30Hz and with VSync on I'm guessing there's plenty in the GPU tank to cope.

Has anyone experimented with different ASCA cloud settings? Mine are all around the middle mark but I'll increase them to the 2048 (32-bit) setting with Overcast at High Quality and see how that fares.

So in short, you can't have volumetric clouds with EA enabled? Correct?

Hi Ray,

You can have volumetric clouds provided by LM with EA enabled but you cannot have 3rd party clouds with EA enabled AND cloud resolution on any setting other than off. Have it set to low or medium et al and you get what shipped with the product and it ignores 3rd party input. On, you get what comes in the box and ASCA et al is ignored.

It is one or the other.

Your system is not too dissimilar to mine with the exception being I am on a 6700K. I also run with HT on like you (yes I read the forum 😊).

Try EA on, cloud resolution medium, (volumetric fog is ticked and greyed out), HDR on, all 3 HDR settings at 1.0, Auto Exposure unticked, dynamic lighting ticked, ASP3D launched but close ASCA and see what you think. You can’t bork your sim, just clear your shaders before you try.

I have no idea why we all have such different experiences with similar systems, the joy of simming I suppose!

Anyway your up and about and on my side of the world it is time for bed. Look forward to any further insights you gain.

Mark

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kand said:

You can have 2d clouds (ASCA type) or volumetric (trusky) with EA enabled, with EA disabled its 2d only aka legacy atmospherics 

Thanks. I discovered volumetric was not available when I turned EA off. I've switched back to EA=OFF and do prefer the overall effect. Neither is perfect but the darkened VC was a factor. And if I've bought ASCA I suppose I might as well use their textures until such time as Hi-Fi can integrate them into EA mode.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@mwa05, thanks Mark, I shall try your suggestions. Still not a lover of HDR though. Outside is too bright and inside is too dark. Maybe clearing the shaders folder will help.

Now running with HT off after installing Asus AI Suite III and letting it o/c my CPU. 5.2 on 3 cores; 5.0 on the other 3.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sitting on the fence with EA on. It's very subjective.

Yes its subjective , i use the enhanced Volumetric option in ASP3D btw. 

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks. I discovered volumetric was not available when I turned EA off. I've switched back to EA=OFF and do prefer the overall effect. Neither is perfect but the darkened VC was a factor. And if I've bought ASCA I suppose I might as well use their textures until such time as Hi-Fi can integrate them into EA mode.

I can recommend Chaseplane to use for brightness seperately in VC, Static and outside view.

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

2 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Yes its subjective , i use the enhanced Volumetric option in ASP3D btw. 

Michael Moe 

I've set Prevent...EA volumetric cloud control to True and also Enabled detailed clouds in P3D. Is that what you mean?

2 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

I can recommend Chaseplane to use for brightness seperately in VC, Static and outside view.

Michael Moe 

I've never spotted that setting but I'll try the above and see how I get on. I do like the lighting effect on the ground and trees with EA on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've set Prevent...EA volumetric cloud control to True and also Enabled detailed clouds in P3D. Is that what you mean?

I've never spotted that setting but I'll try the above and see how I get on. I do like the lighting effect on the ground and trees with EA on.

Hi Ray,

i think i have it opposite  ?- I have it unticked (Prevent ASP3D EA Volumetric control) I suspect i give access to ASP3D to control Volumetric control by this (default btw in ASP3D)

And ticked "enabled detailed EA clouds in P3dv5)

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

3 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Michael Moe 

Chaseplane can control the lighting brightness in views?

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

47 minutes ago, joepoway said:

Chaseplane can control the lighting brightness in views?

Joe

Yeps a really nice thing . I let it control HDR and you can choose better lighting in VC, static and outside view.

Set you self up in VC and adjust , etc for the other views but choose a view first before adjusting

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Hi Ray,

i think i have it opposite  ?- I have it unticked (Prevent ASP3D EA Volumetric control) I suspect i give access to ASP3D to control Volumetric control by this (default btw in ASP3D)

And ticked "enabled detailed EA clouds in P3dv5)

Michael Moe

Thanks Michael. The Prevent option is now unticked. Enable detailed clouds is ticked. ASCA still running.

In P3D I have HDR enabled. Brightness 0.66; Bloom 1.0; Saturation 1.0; Dynamic Reflections = Medium.

Volumetric clouds is High.

If I increase brightness any more to help lighten the VC the sky just gets whitened out. Bloom seems to do nothing except at the right end of the scale when again, it whitens everything out. Saturation is left alone as my monitor is colour calibrated.

The ground lighting is great with patches of sunlight breaking through. Trees seem better lit too. I like the way the ground is depicted.

Regarding the skies the jury is out. I'll need to read more about getting the best from ASP3D / ASCA and P3D.

ChasePlane doesn't seem to be able to lighten the VC without the outside views lightening too. I need to research that more.

I'll stick with it now as there's no point switching back and forth. Maybe a bit of tweaking will improve things further.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Michael. The Prevent option is now unticked. Enable detailed clouds is ticked. ASCA still running.

In P3D I have HDR enabled. Brightness 0.66; Bloom 1.0; Saturation 1.0; Dynamic Reflections = Medium.

Volumetric clouds is High.

If I increase brightness any more to help lighten the VC the sky just gets whitened out. Bloom seems to do nothing except at the right end of the scale when again, it whitens everything out. Saturation is left alone as my monitor is colour calibrated.

The ground lighting is great with patches of sunlight breaking through. Trees seem better lit too. I like the way the ground is depicted.

Regarding the skies the jury is out. I'll need to read more about getting the best from ASP3D / ASCA and P3D.

ChasePlane doesn't seem to be able to lighten the VC without the outside views lightening too. I need to research that more.

I'll stick with it now as there's no point switching back and forth. Maybe a bit of tweaking will improve things further.

This method is only for ASCA NOT running as i intend to use EA fully . 

I think you got confused Ryan

The only way ASCA is running is with EA Clouds resolution set to off

PS!

You are right about outside views also is being brighter from VC changing values in Chaseplane

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

6 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

This method is only for ASCA NOT running as i intend to use EA fully . 

I think you got confused Ryan

The only way ASCA is running is with EA Clouds resolution set to off

When I find Ryan I'll tell him. 😁

Having tried EA clouds on and off I much prefer the off option that allows ASCA to draw detailed clouds. The P3D generated ones are just ill-defined blobs with no detail or texture.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

When I find Ryan I'll tell him. 😁

Having tried EA clouds on and off I much prefer the off option that allows ASCA to draw detailed clouds. The P3D generated ones are just ill-defined blobs with no detail or texture.

Sorry Ray :-)

The illustration combined with ASP3D + EA Volumetric Clouds is a "hit and miss" as it can be very impressive at best.

I missed my weather radar using ASP3D in the PMDG/FSL and it only works with EA clouds off. I am just not a fan of 2d anymore . (FPS hit)

But as we say - its subjective and there is room for this in avsim forums

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png