Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

DC6 versus GA aircraft in MSFS

Yep same here, love the DC6 but 98% of the time I fly the 20MR as its easy to get in and just go and fly low and not so slow. For longer flights when I have something else to do and only have time for takes offs and landings I handle the departure, go do my business and come back to land, that's when I either fly the DC6 or occasionally jets. In my previous life on FSX it was the other way around, jets 99% of the time.

Although I am quite certain I will fly more jet when PMDG comes out with their 737 or other jet.

My all time favorite was the 767, would love to see it return for this sim. Somehow anything Airbus just don't appeal to me that much. Probably due to its fly by wire stuff.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

unless I am crossing huge bodies of water, I fly my Xcub at 1500 AGL... Max. 

• Like 1

For me slow is better.

Not everyone likes low and slow with minimal horsepower of course but for me personally pottering about below 1000' in something that could not get to 15,000 feet or faster than 140 kts if life depended on it, is relaxing, almost meditative and a great way to unwind.

My favourite ride at present is the C140.  it has a GPS option but I have not once been tempted to hit the switch that upgrades the old school radio to a gtn430 and autopilot. (in fact if I could get it to tune in some Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller that old radio would be perfect)  Flying by hand low and slow and navigating by maps and visual references is most of the fun.

This recent video (which I have posted before in other threads but it is totally relevant here) is typical of how I spend my evenings lately.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3

I would like to fly the DC6 more but it cripples my FPS. Same airport and conditions against the JF Turbo Arrow is 70fps Vs 30fps...I get that it's a more complex aircraft, but THAT much more complex? Does this happen to anyone else?

3 hours ago, Bigbluss said:

I would like to fly the DC6 more but it cripples my FPS. Same airport and conditions against the JF Turbo Arrow is 70fps Vs 30fps...I get that it's a more complex aircraft, but THAT much more complex? Does this happen to anyone else?

PMDG said that they had a pre release of SU5 where they got great FPS with the DC6. Then the final release, the increase in FPS disappeared. They are not sure why this happened. I find that the FPS with the Piper Seminole is more than double what I get in the DC6 cockpit. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, Bigbluss said:

Yes, but it is an issue that PMDG has taken up with Asobo. It seems Asobo has made a few last minute changes to SU5 that particularly hurt fps in the DC-6. According to PMDG, before these last minute changes they saw the same fps improvements as with other aircraft.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Most of my time is spent in the likes of the Grravel or H135, and I like to be able to spot the birds' nests in the trees. Even in something like this -

sMyQhVr.jpg

my preferred ceiling is a couple of hundred feet.

I do occasionally get up high, but it's rare for me. It's just so good to see the different bits of the world up close - it's all so well done.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

12 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Yes, but it is an issue that PMDG has taken up with Asobo. It seems Asobo has made a few last minute changes to SU5 that particularly hurt fps in the DC-6. According to PMDG, before these last minute changes they saw the same fps improvements as with other aircraft.

Asobo temporarily removed an entire render channel they were having issues with in SU5 that the DC6 relied on for cockpit performance.  Fortunately for current owners the improved FPS from SU5 generically has roughly compensated for the performance hit from losing access to the render channel.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

For me slow is better.

Not everyone likes low and slow with minimal horsepower of course but for me personally pottering about below 1000' in something that could not get to 15,000 feet or faster than 140 kts if life depended on it, is relaxing, almost meditative and a great way to unwind.

My favourite ride at present is the C140.  it has a GPS option but I have not once been tempted to hit the switch that upgrades the old school radio to a gtn430 and autopilot. (in fact if I could get it to tune in some Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller that old radio would be perfect)  Flying by hand low and slow and navigating by maps and visual references is most of the fun.

This recent video (which I have posted before in other threads but it is totally relevant here) is typical of how I spend my evenings lately.

http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us/

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Thanks for the info guys, I wasn't aware. I hope in the future the rendering channel is activated again. I'd love to fly this aircraft at high fps!

I don't think I've been over 10,000 feet in MSFS to be honest.  I'm pretty much GA flying only at this point. 

Some people love to fly the heavies and that's great too.  The most "complex" aircraft I own is the Piper Arrow.  I have the turbo and regular and I actually fly the regular more.  The turbo tends to make the scenery go by too fast! 

Back in my early days when I had more time and energy, I'd definitely dive into a complex airliner.  Now though, I'm good with my short GA flights that take an hour or two total.  Again, there's lots of ways to enjoy the sim. 

• Like 2

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

3 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

Some people love to fly the heavies and that's great too.  The most "complex" aircraft I own is the Piper Arrow.  I have the turbo and regular and I actually fly the regular more.  The turbo tends to make the scenery go by too fast! 

I ended up buying all four.  The Warrior II is different enough to be worth getting, especially with 25%  off for owning the Arrows.

• Like 1