Sign in to follow this  
rob0203

Clouds

8 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

I respectfully disagree.

Opinions are never wrong. 😉 I have tried EA on and prefer it off. Why stay with a setting I find unrealistic?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Of course, everyone is free to set up their sim as they please and have their own standards of beauty as the beholder of their eyes 😉  I just wanted to show how Rayleigh scattering looks in the real world.

• Like 2

Following this thread.

I just turned on EA and VOL clouds and absolutely love it. Using Ultra clouds also with AS setting.

But i don’t see cirrus clouds at high altitude?

Vernon Howells

@coastaldriver,

I just switched on EA and Volumetric clouds and ticked AS setting for EA.

I also have ENVSHADE, should we still use these settings you posted? I though EA controls the shaders?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Large quoted post removed. Please don’t quote large posts.

Vernon Howells

5 hours ago, Driver170 said:

@coastaldriver,

I just switched on EA and Volumetric clouds and ticked AS setting for EA.

I also have ENVSHADE, should we still use these settings you posted? I though EA controls the shaders?

Driver 170 yes I have not changed anything and I am quite satisfied with how it looks and works. My brightness tessalation bloom is suited to my HDR monitor you may find tweaking those settings for your own monitor makes a little difference. Yes I still use the shader changes via ENSHADE it selects a different shader to the normal stock P3D shaders I find it backs of the haze effect with little change as indicated. 

Here is how it looks for me as an illustration I have no problems with how cloud and sky is shown by P3D and True Sky with EA. 

At flight levels on top of OVC

DVLSxic.jpg

Heavy early morning cloud at an island location in the Pacific.

4xHRUV3.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Driver 170 yes I have not changed anything and I am quite satisfied with how it looks and works. My brightness tessalation bloom is suited to my HDR monitor you may find tweaking those settings for your own monitor makes a little difference. Yes I still use the shader changes via ENSHADE it selects a different shader to the normal stock P3D shaders I find it backs of the haze effect with little change as indicated. 

Here is how it looks for me as an illustration I have no problems with how cloud and sky is shown by P3D and True Sky with EA. 

Is that a Widgeon? A Mallard? A Goose? Or an Albatross? (the only Grumman seabird I don't have in any sim!)

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Embedded images removed

7 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Looks awesome. Mine isn’t far off.

So what does the EA on option in ENVSHADE actually do then? 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Embedded images removed

Vernon Howells

BostonJeremy - the flying boat is the old JBK Sandringham (FSX) updated and rebuilt for P3DV5.2 The updated package is available in the library only at SOH I am afraid. 

As for the Albatross, the old Virtavia HU16 works just fine in P3DV5. If you have it or still can get it. This is a shot of it in the sim when I was first playing around with True Sky settings (Build ups near Guam)

O7NiHG7.jpg

Edited by coastaldriver

Driver170 I cannot give you a good answer on that switch function in ENVSHADE. I  have presumed that it sets the shaders accordingly if EA is ON or OFF via the P3D controllers but EA on/off is actually controlled via the P3D Controls GUI. . 

This is a quick screenshot taken this evening in Northern Texas with widespread severe thunderstorms about. In the cruise at F290, This is the cloud picture being generated. 

dPYaRI1.jpg

Actually i changed my setup in the last days quite often - from Volumetric Clouds OFF to ON and back again 🙂

Right now i am quite happy with following setup:

P3Dv5 Settings:

EA to ON

VOL CLOUDS to ON (Medium)

HIFI Settings:

Prevent ASP3D EA volumetric cloud control to FALSE (=DEFAULT)

ENABLE Detailed EA CLOUDS to FALSE (=DEFAULT)

Maximum Cloud Layers set to 9

Greets,

Markus

Bildschirmfoto-2021-09-18-um-14-28-53.pn

EKCH-2.png

Edited by MäxliBäxli
  • Like 1

Win11Pro - i713700KF - RTX3080Ti

An observation about EA and True Sky is that is does not do high level cirrus very well at all. I do get wispy light cloud in small patches but nothing distinctive like real cirro cumulus or cirrostratus. I find the cloud being shown is very good from ground level through to about F300, that is realistic and well shaped with mutliple layers and development. As cirrus cloud is defined in the volumetric cloud config it seems some changing and testing is needed here to see if a flatter more distinct cirrus cloud is possible. 

I’ve decided to turn Vol clouds off. I’m at LEPA and CBs are reported and VOL clouds show clear skies?

Vernon Howells

Asca for now for myself.

vol clouds has potential! Not quite there yet 

needs smoother outer edges and definition and also cirrus clouds 

then ill make the switch. 

mike

Can different conditions be realized with volumetric clouds regionally? So one can see what one is flying into.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else