Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

MSFS now not starting- suggestions solicited

Due to a HW problem I had to upgrade my MB, CPU and RAM. All the nVme HDs are the same.

W10 recognized the machine logged into my account and promptly reactivated Windows. DCS and P3D work fine. I can access data on each M2 drive. For MSFS, my DIGITAL OWNERSHIP was missing. It took several tries to get that to download, but it finally did. Still MSFS will not launch.

Reading, I have logged out and back in to the MS Store. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Store. No joy. I do have a Zendesk ticket open (no response so far), but I was hoping some of our more sagacious members might be able to point me in the right direction?

I’ve flown MSFS since day one, and this is my first “unable to start” issue…, fingers x’ed!

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Do you have the Xbox for Windows app installed?

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

Do you have the Xbox for Windows app installed?

Yes, and I am logged in there as well. Thanks.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Last line of the "UserCfg.Opt" showing the correct path to your MSFS installation?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I will check later today, but all the storage has not changed- just the MB, CPU and RAM.  Still, it's worth double checking, so thanks.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I did much the same as you did and ended up with two computers in my Windows account,
the last one and the current one, essentially the same device at the same location but with
some different harware.
Microsoft seems to choose the motherboard as the defining factor.
Perhaps MSFS is linked to the last one and not your new configuration.

Edited by Reader

Whats the Motherboard you upgraded to ? And can you describe what happens when you try to launch the sim? The reason why i am asking is that depending on the features of the motherboard there are a few services and processes that dont play well with the sim.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

After many form emails back and forth with Zendesk without success, I re- downloaded the game.  Now it starts and gets to the XBox logo and quits.  I really do not have any more ideas- and am fairly frustrated, so it's probably best I do something else for a bit and then try again tomorrow.

FWIW it's a Gigabyte Aorus z590 Ultra with a 11900k and Corsair DDR4... not really sure what the BIOS could be changed to, to help...

Thanks to all who are trying to help!

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

36 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

FWIW it's a Gigabyte Aorus z590 Ultra with a 11900k and Corsair DDR4... not really sure what the BIOS could be changed to, to help...

If MSFS is your core focus then perhaps reset the BIOS to its default values.  That should tell the tale!  Just understand that if you never did any tweaking to the BIOS settings then that may not effect any change....  In now well over 40 years of my best efforts to manage many personal systems, operating systems, and hardware variations, I do not recall that installation routines provided for any of them performed any changes to BIOS settings without at least some form of user interaction.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Carl,

Interesting issue, but I'm not surprised. I usually do full installs whenever I do any motherboard upgrade. That avoids these types of issues. More work, but I avoid these kinds of hassles.

You can hope that the MS responds to your support request or you can go with a fresh new start.

Good luck.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

13 minutes ago, fppilot said:

If MSFS is your core focus then perhaps reset the BIOS to its default values. 

Also need to reset the power profiles in the bios (you need to manually toggle them back and forth) and also within Windows if you’ve done an in-place install - you can trigger all kinds of CTDs and BSODs when the power states change.

Just now, DylanM said:

Also need to reset the power profiles in the bios (you need to manually toggle them back and forth) and also within Windows if you’ve done an in-place install - you can trigger all kinds of CTDs and BSODs when the power states change.

One of my points is that he should not need to reset anything he has not modified in the first place.  Would be highly unusual to need to do so. Later perhaps for performance.  But certainly not to find the ability to simply start the sim.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

One of my points is that he should not need to reset anything he has not modified in the first place.  Would be highly unusual to need to do so. Later perhaps for performance.  But certainly not to find the ability to simply start the sim.

It’s actually a bug seen across a number of motherboard vendors (both in legacy and UEFI setups). Even if you’ve never touched the setting, what is indicated may not be what is applied or active.