Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Call your Customer Loyalty ISP department!

My service contract was going to be up next month, so as I always do, I contacted them a month ahead, and asked to speak with the C.S.L.D.  Connecting, I asked for the current deals...and after we 'negotiated' for a bit, with my tactic of "well, I just got Bell's Fiber latest promo in the mail"...my cable ISP, offered me (wow!) just 1/2 hour ago, to go from my present service package speed of 360 Mbits, to a full 1GIG!  What was the price to climb 290 percent in speed?   It was $25 dollars a month LESS, than what I have been paying for a 360 Mbit speed the last two years. So...they reset my modem , I watched all the lights go out, and then over two minutes come back online, and I now have 970 Mbits of download, and 40 Mbits of upload.   For $25.00 LESS per month over the next three years!

Call your Loyalty ISP Department, and do the mild  'threat' of going somewhere else...and see what sticks to the wall... for I got 1 GB download and 40 upload for 3 years, no cost increase! Heck NO...a cost DECREASE!!!!

For myself, it was a Californian coastal landslide...lol!   360 Mbits to 1,000 Mbits (possible).

Getting a real world, real line, 970 Mbits download speed, (current, but that can climb to 1,000 Mb's as they tweak the system)  constant over ten tests, ain't bad!

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Upvote 1

I do that every December for both my Comsat internet and DirectTV satellite. Those folks will do almost anything to avoid losing a customer. I too would say try it, you'll like it.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I get a kick out of Direct TV. Every few months they try to sneak an increase. When I call to tell them I’m cancelling they immediately transfer me to the “preferred customer department “ who “ just for me” knocks off the increase. Competition is a great thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I get a kick out of Direct TV. Every few months they try to sneak an increase. When I call to tell them I’m cancelling they immediately transfer me to the “preferred customer department “ who “ just for me” knocks off the increase. Competition is a great thing.

My next door neighbor just got Bell Fiber Optic put in...and they are thrilled with the performance. The only thing is that Bell is FAMOUS for cranking your rates (read the micro print....) 3 months into your initial install.  Their 'right' to break your agreed price contract is right in the micro print...take a magnifying glass to that block at the bottom of the mail box insert....  My neighbors won't be singing the praises, come 90 days from now, I'll wager!

I switched from cable Comcast to AT&T fiber optic just over a year ago mainly so I could get 1 Gb service. The only downside is that all of my television now is "streamed" via WiFi to each of my three television's WiFi receiver boxes. The WiFi transmitter provided in the "modem" isn't very strong, so some days the televisions will lose connection and most often require a "cold boot," that is I have to unplug the power and reconnect power, then wait up to five minutes before getting a signal again. I've tried using a WiFi booster but had no success.

They are never really 'synched' with each other either, which makes for some annoyance when walking from the living room to the kitchen and/or the bedroom. They are always out of synch by at least two or more seconds.

Recently AT&T entered an arrangement with DirecTV as the content provider but thus far nothing has changed content wise.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Don't look for any new content on DirecTV in the near future, if ever. AT&T has spun off DirecTV as a stand-alone company. AT&T retained a 70% ownership and the other 30% was sold to a capital management group (TPG). The Time-Warner assets are being off-loaded to Discovery so no new stuff there either. I was employed by AT&T for over 30 years and as a retiree I get a discount on DirecTV service. But, the likelihood of significant future price increases takes away much of the reason I went there to begin with. I'm going back to Comcast where the management knows what they are doing.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

My youngest brother, ever the spend thrift, doesn’t pay for cable at all. He put up a HD antenna and manages to get fantastic reception of well over a dozen stations. He also streams and uses ROKU.  I guess I’m just lazy but I like having Direct TV with the DVR so I can skip commercials. I also have a ROKU and a pretty large library of DVDs I collected over the years. But nothing beats a good book. Except a good sim flight of course.

• Like 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

My youngest brother, ever the spend thrift, doesn’t pay for cable at all. 

I can beat that 😂😂

My mother in law doesn’t have internet, cable, landline phone or a tv. She just uses her cell for everything and it’s not even a current model. 

I didn’t know this until a week ago and was shocked. Asked my wife why and she said she just doesn’t care to watch tv, doesn’t own a computer and can do just about anything she needs from her phone.

For her isn’t not even about being thrifty, she just doesn’t care about that stuff.

@Sesquashtoo

I need to do that. I have AT&T internet service and get like 15-20mbps download speed for around $75-80 per month including tax.

I know I can get a better deal but calling AT&T is worse than getting a tooth pulled imho. You call, get on a waiting que for like 40 minutes, speak to someone who then transfers you to someone else, who might also get you into a hold que.

I’ve been luck that 15-20mbps has been sufficient for what my wife and I stream on tv and her iPad, but eventually when I move to MSFS, I’ll probably need faster service.

10 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

My youngest brother, ever the spend thrift, doesn’t pay for cable at all. He put up a HD antenna and manages to get fantastic reception of well over a dozen stations. He also streams and uses ROKU.  I guess I’m just lazy but I like having Direct TV with the DVR so I can skip commercials. I also have a ROKU and a pretty large library of DVDs I collected over the years. But nothing beats a good book. Except a good sim flight of course.

I only have cable service for the Internet.  For TV, I have one of those (from Amazon) 12x12 inch flat panels, that I have near a window. With that...(amazing!) I get over 52 digital free stations, 5 word not allowed (advertising clubs) 2 dedicated (again for free!) movie only stations, and the rest, the normal networks along with public broadcasting.  So, for a $22.00 antenna, I picked up 52 stations.  Cable...only for the Internet. 🙂

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

@Sesquashtoo

I need to do that. I have AT&T internet service and get like 15-20mbps download speed for around $75-80 per month including tax.

I know I can get a better deal but calling AT&T is worse than getting a tooth pulled imho. You call, get on a waiting que for like 40 minutes, speak to someone who then transfers you to someone else, who might also get you into a hold que.

I’ve been luck that 15-20mbps has been sufficient for what my wife and I stream on tv and her iPad, but eventually when I move to MSFS, I’ll probably need faster service.

For MSFS, I was doing great (Ultra) at 360 Mb's, but what the heck...if they want to bump me up to 1Gb, and DROP my rate $25.00 in the process...well, who am I TO COMPLAIN?! ?  LOLOLOL.   Yep...do try the 'give me, or I'm leaving' line...and see what 'fish' you bring in with that net...  Good luck!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

On 9/9/2021 at 12:09 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

@Sesquashtoo

I'm paying now, for Cable Internet and Phone (U.S. and Canada no charge, Long Distance, with Hawaii included..

Internet: 1Gb download and 40 Gb upload

Phone (as the above) I have the phone as back up to my Cell in case that ever goes for a dumper...

$80.00 per month,  locked in (on their part, no cost increase) for 3 years, with no cancellation penalty any time within those 3 years, (on my part) ...but like really...why would I cancel this deal...and they know that, LOL!!!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

Done so last night: I was watching Argentina vs Bolivia football match with some friends, and I wanted to watch the Colombia vs Chile match (which started 30 mins earlier) in my phone, using my ISP app (they offer not only internet, but also TV and mobile phone services). It never worked.

During the match, I called my ISP reporting the problem, they promised to have a solution in 24 hours. For a football match? Really? 90 minutes is already too much! I told the customer support agent so, and told him that I was seeing no value in the service they offered.

They agreed to give me a 25% discount hehehehe

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:23 AM, Sesquashtoo said:

I'm paying now, for Cable Internet and Phone (U.S. and Canada no charge, Long Distance, with Hawaii included..

Internet: 1Gb download and 40 Gb upload

Phone (as the above) I have the phone as back up to my Cell in case that ever goes for a dumper...

$80.00 per month,  locked in (on their part, no cost increase) for 3 years, with no cancellation penalty any time within those 3 years, (on my part) ...but like really...why would I cancel this deal...and they know that, LOL!!!

Typo...40 Mb UPLOAD..., not Gb...sorry

1000 Mb download (1 Gb).

I guess that people knew what I should have typed,  for upload speed. lol!

Edited by Sesquashtoo