Sign in to follow this  
Noel

If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on please respond.

If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on...  

96 members have voted

1. 1. If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on, do you find it fluid and stutter-free now, post WU6?

• Yes, I find it fluid and stutter-free to a high level and I'd rather have the greater graphic complexity and processing overhead that the lower frame lock affords.
    • I like chocolate or vanilla ice cream

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

The fact people believe "There is no difference" is still mind blowing to me.  Not that they prefer it, that I completely understand and don't question, not the fact that they can't see a difference, that I understand and don't question, I've never have questioned others personal preferences but to say there is "no difference" between 30FPS and 60FPS is factually incorrect period.  Facts are Facts.  

There may not be a "perceivable difference" to everyone due to a magnitude of reasons but to sit here and say "There is no difference" is factually wrong.  Period. 

You can call it chasing FPS, you can say people are doing nothing more than pushing their machines, you can call them names for doing it, you can say it is unnecessary because you couldn't see a difference, you can say what you like, BUT to factually deny there is a difference is wrong. Again, some people want to keep their machine cooler and ensure it doesn't work as hard, others prefer to use everything there machine has and push it 100% of the time.  I personally buy my cars and computers to push them to their limits and to quote Buzz Lightyear "And Beyond"  LOL.  The concept of taking it easy on a machine doesn't exist to me, I run things to their limit until they break and in all my years I've never had a CPU or GPU go from being run at 100% consistently.  I've had a motor and a transmission go but not a CPU or GPU and from a $$$ perspective I'd have far preferred to fry the computer LOL  In fact the only PC component that has ever failed on me is DDR.  

If we want to call out spreading misinformation, then saying "There is no difference between 30FPS and 60FPS" is technically and factually incorrect regardless of opinion.  Even your control inputs are not the same, it's not just what you are seeing on screen. 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 hours ago, 6297J said:

That's because there is no difference at higher fps. I was determined to run mine at 60fps for the longest time as I finally had a system that could do that but having switched back to 30 the only difference I noticed is that my GPU was a lot quieter and cooler. There was no loss of quality or smoothness at all. 

That was me for many years in FSX then P3D until I learned vsync to 30 offered no deterioration in animation fluidity w/o getting a microscope out, and even then it's so marginal if at all relative to the cost involved--as you say quieter, cooler less wattage and stress on parts, and really, for almost nothing.  It was a liberating eureka moment for me and thankfully it still applies in MSFS.  Thank you for bringing up the issue of stress on hardware I forgot to mention this but it's absolutely true.   I've even been able to turn my CPU overclock down because it's just not needed now post SU5's improvements in performance.  Remarkable now to be able to run any plane, anywhere in any conditions w/ all ultra except LOD now at 400, RS 120 and still see all parts running cool.

I'm at KPHL right now in the lovely 787-10 HD mod.  Notice the GPU is at 51% utilization, CPU temp 41C--cool, quiet, smooth, fluid and stutter-free, and ample headroom and the best possible image quality and ready for anything coming this way inc DX-12 port, PMDG ware, and more.

spacer.png

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

More FPS are better(whatever that means)! But it depends on what you are doing...

Not that anyone cares but my personal preference is 30FPS for MSFS. Of course there is a difference (which i can clearly recognize) between 30 and 60 FPS. But for (and only for) MSFS i can live with that. Its neglectable.

I have been a gamer (and simmer) for as long as i can remember and you can consider me as a FPS chaser if you will. I use 60FPS for any game that is "low and slow" as it is providing the best smoothness for me. But i have spent a couple of thousand hours playing CS:GO for example and i run it a 400FPS and it makes a huge difference in regards to reaction time and latency.

So my humble conclusion is:

Yes there is a huge difference between 30, 60, 120, 144 and even 400(or more) FPS. It is clearly recognizable. The question is: Is it necessary for your purpose. And only you can answer it.

Happy gaming/simming!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

After two days of forced vacation. I come back to this fascinating subject in the midst of fascinating people.

In any case since I have been at 30 fps locked in 4k and thanks to the optimization of ASOBO. I have never had so much pleasure to fly in a smooth world and no matter the airport or the weather scenario or the plane i use.It is stutter-free for ever!. And to finish whatever of the speed of change of camera view.

The main thing is that you don't need 60 fps and a powerful PC to have fun with FS. Forget that!

I replaced my purchase of a new PC with a future purchase of an amazing 4k TV.

I will keep my old I7 4790k and my GTX 1080 until the next stutter...

• Like 2

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

31 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Of course there is a difference (which i can clearly recognize) between 30 and 60 FPS.... Its neglectable.

That's right, and the cost for that negligible, the increase in computing power required to maintain double the frame rate, is substantial, of course. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

That's right, and the cost for that negligible, the increase in computing power required to maintain double the frame rate, is substantial, of course. 

Which is what some more watts of power use and some heat ?  graphics cards are meant  to be used hard,,, its not like they are old classsic cars or something.

Dont be afraid to stress your cards...

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

graphics cards are meant  to be used hard,,, its not like they are old classsic cars or something.

Dont be afraid to stress your cards...

Absolutely, more watts, more heat, and I keep my systems for a good 6y.  In fact my GTX Titan still lives now over 7y/o and is driving my digital audio workstation.  But sure stress your components all you wish that's up to you.

• Like 1

Noel