Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Road rage and general rudeness causes!

Rolling coal.....Never heard that one!  But, in case others haven't:

Rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to increase the amount of fuel entering the engine in order to emit large amounts of black or grey sooty exhaust fumes, diesel fuel that has not undergone complete combustion, into the air. A predominantly North American phenomenon, rolling coal is sometimes used as a form of anti-environmentalism.[1] Such modifications may include the intentional removal of the particulate filter.[2] Practitioners often additionally modify their vehicles by installing smoke switches, large exhausts,[3] and smoke stacks. Modifications to a vehicle to enable rolling coal may cost from US$200 to US$5,000.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

No where so far in this topic is there any reference to a speed limit being a limit and not a target.
Anyone, and there are indeed many, who thinks that a speed limit on a road is too high and is therefore causing danger is missing the point altogether.
I am reminded of the tale of the irate motorist who rang 999, the UK police emergency number, to berate them for "making"
him drive at 70 mph in the thick fog on the M25 motoway because that was the limit.
If you think that he was right to do so, then you need to reconsider your approach to driving.

"Anti-environmentalism" is a similarly thoughtless practice which is already biting at us, though often not directly at the perpetrators.

Disrespectful and abnormal driving invokes road rage:
Force merging without signaling or waiting your turn.
Going under the speed limit.
In the city, passing at high speed on the right that is the parking lane, not a true lane.
Running late yellow to red stop lights.
Weaving in and out of traffic.
Rolling coal.
Construction dump trucks or semi's being every 3rd vehicle on the road.

Not one of these should invoke anything more than mild disapproval.
It is the driver's responsibility to maintain their own driving to a standard and deal with hazards that present themselves.
It is not the driver's responsibility to police the driving of others and if the driver's self control is so poor that they are thrown into an uncontrollable rage by the presence of large goods vehicles, then it is perhaps time to either give up driving altogether or seek anger management advice.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Which is worse, going under the speed limit or going over the speed limit?

Dugald Walker

Going below the minimum speed limit. Everyone then starts to dodge the slow vehicle and issues begin.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

8 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Going below the minimum speed limit

I have never heard of a minimum speed limit but, if there is one, it should be followed just as much as a maximum speed limit. 

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to increase the amount of fuel entering the engine in order to emit large amounts of black or grey sooty exhaust fumes, diesel fuel that has not undergone complete combustion, into the air.

That's just weird. Doesn't it shorten the life of the engine?

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, Reader said:

It is the driver's responsibility to maintain their own driving to a standard

That standard would be the traffic laws of that jurisdiction, including maximum speed limits, wouldn't it?

Dugald Walker

I think going slower than the posted limit on four lane highways is reasonable.  On two lane highways where you are holding up traffic and opposing traffic is such that you cannot pass the slower car is rude and worthy of a traffic citation.

Normally everywhere I have lived exceeding the speed limit by 5mph or less is ignored by traffic cops.

Beating the yellow light is permitted as a long as you have cleared the crossing highway or street by the time it turns red.

Common sense  is crucial while driving.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

A predominantly North American phenomenon, rolling coal is sometimes used as a form of anti-environmentalism.

Sheesh, the lengths some will go to purposely force their bitter feelings on, or towards, others...this pretty much sums up the act of road rage in general.  A better rule to live by:  "in a world where you can be anything, be kind".

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

4 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

If its super slow I can see issues. But in theory we should all be going under the speed limit. If at the speed limit you will nudge over. The highway code in the UK suggests slightly under. Nobody should be restricted from driving slower. Many who drive slower do so because they aren't familiar with the roads or comfortable with high speed.

In the UK we have country lanes replete with cyclists and pedestrians out for a country walk and a 60 mph limit. And trust me, if you do drive at 60 on some of those lanes, disaster is heading your way.

Hear in Guernsey we have a 35 mph limit and 25 mph limit. Sounds slow, but the roads are so narrow and so many bends and pavements (if you are lucky) on one side, plus busses would you believe, that its actually too fast for many situations. Granite walls are unforgiving. Much harder driving here than in the UK, you have to be prepared to decelerate well below the speed limit at a moments notice. 

31 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Normally everywhere I have lived exceeding the speed limit by 5mph or less is ignored by traffic cops.

There has to be a margin of error because speedometers aren't accurate. 

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

That standard would be the traffic laws of that jurisdiction, including maximum speed limits, wouldn't it?

Of course, but my point is that maximum speed limits do not mean that the driver must strive to achieve that maximum.
Perhaps you are one who believes that is in fact the case.
In the UK, there are a few minimum speed limits but they are designed for specifics, often tunnels, where to stay for too
long is bad for the health.
As mentioned earlier, there are countless places where to adhere to the maximum speed limit would be foolhardy.

1 hour ago, Reader said:

Perhaps you are one who believes that is in fact the case.

No, I don't strive to achieve the maximum speed but I strive not to exceed the maximum, which was my point. Still I usually end up doing the maximum or a little bit over. On the expressways, I strive also not to do more than 10mph faster than the next lane. 

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

And trust me, if you do drive at 60 on some of those lanes, disaster is heading your way.

For me, the scary part was the frequent curves combined with the tall hedgerows on both sides which limited your forward view to about 60 feet.

Dugald Walker

3 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I have never heard of a minimum speed limit

I found one on the Trans-Canada Highway, Route A15, near St Jerome in Quebec. It's 100 kph max and 60 kph min.

Dugald Walker