Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

New nvidia settings just released

5 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

I disagree. It's another option for people who perhaps have less powerful PCs to gain a little bit of additional performance. It's not all about MSFS (which I acknowledge you didn't say).

I hope it helps someone.

"So just another scaling slider. There's no way I'd give up a crisp image for a few measly frames."

"The Windows desktop looks horrible after turning this on...."

"I have a 3 FPS increase (42 to 45) but I also noticed a small image degradation."

"The image is slightly softer though but very good."

This one sounds like another rob Peter to pay Paul w/ its associated image degradation for better 'performance'.   If you're after a significant improvement in panning be sure to set Low Latency to ULTRA in NCP this does make a difference for me and at least several others who've tried it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It's a choice; an option. That's all it is.

I don't understand the angst.

Edited by spacedyemeerkat
  • Like 2

Yep it's a choice and it appears to largely be a bad choice so not one I'd want to use as I much prefer crisp imagery. 

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

You get nothing for free, a downscaling is always a deterioration.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

57 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yep it's a choice and it appears to largely be a bad choice so not one I'd want to use as I much prefer crisp imagery. 

Yes, and that means you're not the target audience on this occasion. There are others to whom this will be a tangible benefit and they'll be happy with the trade off.

I give up... might as well go and eat chocolate or vanilla ice cream.

• Upvote 1

Please explain the significance of Image Scaling and the relevance of the percentage that's applied. Exactly what does it do and at what expense does it do it?  Pardon my ignorance on this.

I did notice the WATER looked more natural when Image Scaling was off (Princess Juliana airport in MSFS).  At 85%, the water was shimmering and not acceptable from a realistic viewpoint.  I fail to see the advantage of this tweak

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The advantage is you get more fps if you need that with some loss of quality. You need to judge for yourself if its worth it. I`m using 4k resolution with 50% scale now and i need to test if this driver upscale is better than game downscale.

6 hours ago, Ixoye said:

What resolution do you use in the game for your 3440x1440 monitor?

Check the resolutions table here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-image-scaler-dlss-rtx-november-2021-updates/

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

3 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I don't get any of those 1440 resolutions.

Then it looks like you didn't activate it correctly. Go to the Nvidia Control Panel Global Settings and make sure it is on. You can also check the overlay indicator so you can be sure it is working inside the sim. Then you should have those resolutions in the sim graphics options.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Just now, Alvega said:

Then it looks like you didn't activate it correctly. Go to the Nvidia Control Panel Global Settings and make sure it is on. You can also check the overlay indicator so you can be sure it is working inside the sim. Then you should have those resolutions in the sim graphics options.

I was on, I had the green logo on the left upper corner, and windows looked horrible, but are the recommended resolutions really for widescreen monitors? I use a 3440x1440 monitor.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

39 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I was on, I had the green logo on the left upper corner, and windows looked horrible, but are the recommended resolutions really for widescreen monitors? I use a 3440x1440 monitor.

Hmmm, that I don't know, sorry.

Alvega

3 hours ago, Tva said:

The advantage is you get more fps if you need that with some loss of quality. You need to judge for yourself if its worth it. I`m using 4k resolution with 50% scale now and i need to test if this driver upscale is better than game downscale.

I too use 4K resolution with 50% scale -- which works out to a clean 1920 x 1080 display. My own brief experimentation is that No, driver upscale is not better than game downscale. Perhaps I wasn't doing something right. But I quickly reverted to my previous settings.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Come on Man! All this specs chasing? LOL!  Just look at how far this has come:  150 lines per second?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS1_Flight_Simulator

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere