Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

mixture leaning

I haven't tried default 172 for long time! So I'm not sure if EGT works. But you can always lean until engine goes rough and rpm drops

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

And then, there is still the inherited "leaning bug", where leaning above around 3000' causes an initial rise in FF, contrarily to what should happen.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Probably bugged.

TBH in real life back in the day, the only c172 I ever flew that had an EGT was an SP with a CSU and we otherwise did fine without one. With a fixed prop and no EGT engine rpm drop works, with a CSU and no EGT you can work it based on rpm and fuel flow.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

4 minutes ago, yankeegolf3 said:

Thank you for your inputs. It is clear that the leaning process is not properly simulated. I will check other aircraft.

99% 172  I flight instruct have no EGT gauge. They older model B, M,N,P We lean (LOP) by gradually pulling mixture until engine run rough and then few "screws" forward. Asobo bug related not to leaning itself but fuel flow vs leaning vs cylinder head temperature. For example, as you lean fuel flow decrease then  increases and then decrease again.

However, you can still lean without EGT. In fact you can have EGT inop in real airplane and still legally fly IFR or VFR (in US.) EGT gauge is nice to have gauge but not required. I personally would choose cylinder heads temperature gauge over EGT!

20 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I haven't tried default 172 for long time! So I'm not sure if EGT works. But you can always lean until engine goes rough and rpm drops

This is exactly how I was taught. I did find it concerning when a person demonstrated it to me in a Piper. Coming from jet engines, they don't run rough like that. It immediately made me nervous when he nonchalantly pulled the mixture back and it started running rough and coughing. He then eased it forward until it was smooth. He looked at my alarmed expression and stated, that's how you lean the engine. I told him that I did not like it one bit 🤣.

2 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

This is exactly how I was taught. I did find it concerning when a person demonstrated it to me in a Piper. Coming from jet engines, they don't run rough like that. It immediately made me nervous when he nonchalantly pulled the mixture back and it started running rough and coughing. He then eased it forward until it was smooth. He looked at my alarmed expression and stated, that's how you lean the engine. I told him that I did not like it one bit 🤣.

LOL it's no the only time engine go rough. We just removed STCed electronic right mag from one 172P because of the same reason (rough engine). So sometimes things that suppose to make flying better do opposite LOL

2 hours ago, yankeegolf3 said:

It is clear that the leaning process is not properly simulated. I will check other aircraft.

Today I flew the Just Flight PA28 out of LFEF (Amboise, France) and climbed to 4000 ft AGL, and leaning the mixture affected EGT peak as expected. Tried the same with the default C172, and leaning produced little noticeable affect on EGT. 

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I am quite fresh user of MSFS, but i think mixture leaning is still broken.

I have B247D and P38L birds and both tried - when try to lean those nothing happens until i cross the border when engines shut down.

Before that limit no sign of any engine condition change. 

Artur 

On 12/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, sd_flyer said:

99% 172  I flight instruct have no EGT gauge. They older model B, M,N,P We lean (LOP) by gradually pulling mixture until engine run rough and then few "screws" forward. Asobo bug related not to leaning itself but fuel flow vs leaning vs cylinder head temperature. For example, as you lean fuel flow decrease then  increases and then decrease again.

However, you can still lean without EGT. In fact you can have EGT inop in real airplane and still legally fly IFR or VFR (in US.) EGT gauge is nice to have gauge but not required. I personally would choose cylinder heads temperature gauge over EGT!

I flew the C 152 alot and of course you had to lean it while taxing for takeoff to keep the plugs from fouling on the 100LL.  One time, I was taking someone for their first  ride, and leaned it when moving away from the ramp, a bit too much and the engine quit. I had some quick explaining to do to keep them from wanting to turn back and get out. 😉

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Question is... Does it still reduce FF as you lean ( initially and specially evident above 3000' ) on reciprocating engines ?

Last time I tried it the of fs9/ fsx bug was still there...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

4 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Question is... Does it still reduce FF as you lean ( initially and specially evident above 3000' ) on reciprocating engines ?

Last time I tried it the of fs9/ fsx bug was still there...

What is "FF"...? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

14 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What is "FF"...? 

Fuel flow...usually measured in Gallons per hour (GPH) in light planes IRL.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

On 12/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, yankeegolf3 said:

Hello,

I fly the default Cessna 172. When I want to lean the mixture, the EGT does not change (only the fuel flow changes). I find it strange because I cannot find the EGT peak which is the usual way to lean the mixture. (Auto mixture not activated). Any idea?

THX

I am currently flying the G1000 version (nxi) and the EGT seems to work there.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5