Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Reverb G2 - great images/sharpness but image vibrates

i7-9700K 32GB/RTX 3060Ti SteamVR/OpenXR Reverb G2 

I finally got things working just the way I want and am very pleased with images/immersion. 

But, in the cockpit when I rotate my head (in vertical or horizontal axis) the entire instrument panel seems to "vibrate" when I initially move my head.  The strong vertical or horizontal lines seem to move a mm or so back an forth and then stabilize.  The effect is quite disturbing and almost makes me queasy.  This started with a flight today in which I believe I had made NO changes to any sim parameters.  I have stopped and restarted the sim several times but there is always that vibration of straight lines or even the entire dash.

As long as I hold my head still - the G2 images are magnificent and stable. 

I see no such effect in Assetto Corsa

Any ideas what might be causing this illusion?

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

I had the same issue and had to turn down the settings, particularly render settings, try something like 100 and see how it goes, but I got rid of this by turning things down a bit. Hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

May have something to do with Motion Reprojection (if your using OpenXR Development Tools for WMR)  I found no real improvement in FPS with it, and a lot less visual artifacts with it off.

45 minutes ago, bszuch said:

May have something to do with Motion Reprojection (if your using OpenXR Development Tools for WMR)  I found no real improvement in FPS with it, and a lot less visual artifacts with it off.

That was my first guess - turned it off/on/off but same shifty lines

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

This might be an artifact caused by having low fps.  The only true fix for low fps is to lower your settings; note that too high a resolution/scale factor will lower fps considerably.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Ok, weirdly I just had this happen mid flight. No idea what happened but it’s awful and had to turn it off after 30 seconds. Didn’t matter if it was the cockpit or outside the plane, the view would “vibrate” if I moved my head at all. 

it happened mid flight and hadn’t happened previously (though I do have a clean windows and msfs install as of last week). Shut down my computer and haven’t restarted to see if the problem resolves itself. 

similar specs as you except 3080 and 64 gigs of ram. 

I've done a lot of testing and "fooling around" with settings to see if I can reliably and consistently reproduce the "vibration" appearance.   Short Answer: NO

I've increased to 110 and decreased to 80 all combinations of sliders, sharpeners, and NSI Mod values.  I've increased other settings from High to Ultra and then back to Medium.

The vibrating image appears in some but not all flights.  Once it begins in a flight - only shutting down the sim makes it go away.  

At my current settings   - I only see the vibration in one of five or six flights. 

Have you tried resetting the headset room boundaries in the mixed reality portal?  I get the effect sometimes, probably less than you, and I've always assumed it's a headset tracking problem ?

I had cockpit shake with win 11 had to go back to win 10. Bit drastic I know but may help.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Weirdly I had this today, restart of the sim fixed it. Running the public beta and the NIS sharpener. 

5 hours ago, subn3t said:

OP, are you running Windows 11?

Windows 10

Changing the sharpness level did help a little but the effect was still noticeable

when I upgraded to FlightSim 1.21.18.0 the problem went away. 

On 12/23/2021 at 11:53 PM, TacomaSailor said:

i7-9700K 32GB/RTX 3060Ti SteamVR/OpenXR Reverb G2 

I finally got things working just the way I want and am very pleased with images/immersion. 

But, in the cockpit when I rotate my head (in vertical or horizontal axis) the entire instrument panel seems to "vibrate" when I initially move my head.  The strong vertical or horizontal lines seem to move a mm or so back an forth and then stabilize.  The effect is quite disturbing and almost makes me queasy.  This started with a flight today in which I believe I had made NO changes to any sim parameters.  I have stopped and restarted the sim several times but there is always that vibration of straight lines or even the entire dash.

As long as I hold my head still - the G2 images are magnificent and stable. 

I see no such effect in Assetto Corsa

Any ideas what might be causing this illusion?

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Download that tool, and the set Prediction dampening too a value of -25% or higher, adjust to your liking. This will solve you shaking issue for sure

I run my headset with the power adapter, I may have read somewhere that just using USB power can cause issues.