Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The "I don't get it" post...

I am not sure why use the P3D internal frame limiter to 120 and use 33 outside of the sim through the driver.  Does this give an advantage over no frame limit in P3D and using the external limiter se to 33?

Alan

23 minutes ago, exeodus said:

I am not sure why use the P3D internal frame limiter to 120 and use 33 outside of the sim through the driver.  Does this give an advantage over no frame limit in P3D and using the external limiter se to 33?

Yes

5 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yes

Can't see how that would work..... Usage of the internal limited has always required more processing power for m which inturn lowers frames. Not saying thats what would happen here if you're externally limiting to 33 anyway, but can't see how it would improve anything over setting to unlimited internally.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

13 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Can't see how that would work..... Usage of the internal limited has always required more processing power for m which inturn lowers frames. Not saying thats what would happen here if you're externally limiting to 33 anyway, but can't see how it would improve anything over setting to unlimited internally.

Why 33? Supposed to be multiples of your Monitor refresh rate. So 66, 132, 264. Seem like odd figures.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

11 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Why 33? Supposed to be multiples of your Monitor refresh rate. So 66, 132, 264. Seem like odd figures.

Yeah I agree. But they’re not my settings so don’t quote me quote @Sesquashtoo

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

41 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

I agree.

I have mine externally limited to 30fps (half refresh rate) and within sim set at unlimited.

If I set 120fps (within sim) I will drop about 3-4 fps.

If the sim frame rate is set internally to a value other than unlimited, you'll then have control over the value in FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION, as when the sim is set to unlimited, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION value is ignored and a default extremely low value is used internally.

The idea of the extremely low internal value being to keep the frame rates high as possible with one of the costs being the rate of scenery loading, one of the reasons why there is a frame rate drop when stepping back a notch from unlimited.

This is the area where FFTF Dynamic can assist by dynamically allowing control over the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION while having the sim set to unlimited. If using FFTF you'll not likely see much in the way of fps increasing, more you'll see less chance of blurries.

The above said, yes limiting the frame rate to around 30 fps (Vsync is ideal if your monitor will do 30 Hz or the NVida CP half option if your panel is 60Hz only), will reduce load on both CPU and GPU and allow higher slider and prepar3d.cfg settings.

I personally enjoy very smooth 30 hz vsync'd flying in almost all conditions - well.. as much as my poor 1070 Ti can handle.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Interesting, so you're saying FFTF only has an effect if you have an internal frame rate set? So FFTF Dynamic (the program) would be useless if you run unlimited frames?

Kael Oswald

3 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I was told years ago, that you add 3 frames (limited) to what you want to drive 1/2 refresh rate, and the Dev behind FFTF,  has stated that the best FPS rendering, (with using FFTF) is to set to what you want ( I of course use 30+3 (banking for process rendering allowance) and his recommendation of 120  FPS internal (in sim) set (the one setting just before unlimited.  If wanting further explanation, just poll the Dev for the FFTF product and he (I hope) would answer you why he has recommend the 120 internal setting.  How does all this play out on my system?  33 FPS in the nVidia mask, and 120 FPS in the sim?  BUTTER SMOOTH....you could break your neck sliding on the FPS....(lol).  A keeper duo setting two-punch for my needs.

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo

2 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Interesting, so you're saying FFTF only has an effect if you have an internal frame rate set? So FFTF Dynamic (the program) would be useless if you run unlimited frames?

As I stated in my just posted post...the Dev of FFTF has stated (recommended) to set to 120 if using his software.  I do, so I have set and forgot it...  33 external and 120 internal gives me butter smooth sim animation.

3 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I responded to his query.

Rogen, actually

I read in a post where the FFTF dev recommended that you DO USE 120 set and not unlimited with his program. You might want to check with him....I don't believe he advises to use unlimited in sim with his program. That is why I have set to 120 internal as I do use FFTF, but have not since it needs an update (that I, and others are waiting on for HF1 (light vix) Client.

4 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Not quoting anyone! Just adding a comment continuing on from your statement.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

48 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I of course use 30+3 (banking for process rendering allowance) and his recommendation of 120  FPS internal (in sim)

45 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I do, so I have set and forgot it...  33 external and 120 internal

36 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

That is why I have set to 120 internal

'So what are you saying?' 😁😁

On a side note, if you have applied the latest HF(s), which I think you have, I assume you are not presently using FFTH Dynamic, as AFAIK it hasn't been updated yet.

1 hour ago, Sparkrite said:

'So what are you saying?' 😁😁

On a side note, if you have applied the latest HF(s), which I think you have, I assume you are not presently using FFTH Dynamic, as AFAIK it hasn't been updated yet.

Right, not using it until the update...but I still have the sim set ready for it...so yes...I use external 33 FPS and internal 120 FPS.  The 120 internal is recommended by the Dev...in a lot of prior posts of users asking for his help or advice.

5 hours ago, Rogen said:

The idea of the extremely low internal value being to keep the frame rates high as possible with one of the costs being the rate of scenery loading, one of the reasons why there is a frame rate drop when stepping back a notch from unlimited.

This is the area where FFTF Dynamic can assist by dynamically allowing control over the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION while having the sim set to unlimited. If using FFTF you'll not likely see much in the way of fps increasing, more you'll see less chance of blurries.

This is actually what the developer of FFTF Dynamic confirmed more than once.

Cheers,

PS: anything but Unlimited puts more load on cpu due to generating more frames ahead. On the other hand if you don't control FFTF somehow you'll eventually see blurries and missing autogen just in case somebody forgets.

Edited by Dirk98