Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

The most realistic weather with ActiveSky

5 hours ago, spilok said:

Do you feel that the sim is better overall with ENVSHADE or without it?  I'm not seeing much difference, but I believe my cockpit is darker when I use ENVSHADE.

Your question got me curious so I ran a couple of tests at different locations, altitudes, and weather.  When I used Envshade in P3Dv4.5 it had a noticeable performance improvement and looked good, plus I didn't use EA with 4.5.  Now with v5.3 I use EA and like it. 

Anyhow, I see no difference with Envshade vs the stock shaders.  I can't replicate what I've seen with the exaggerated sun reflection, but I'll grab a screenshot next time I do.

For now, I've decided to run without Envshade enabled.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I like EA except for the tan snow.  So, it's off for now. Is there any way to correct this?

• Upvote 1

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Your question got me curious so I ran a couple of tests at different locations, altitudes, and weather.  When I used Envshade in P3Dv4.5 it had a noticeable performance improvement and looked good, plus I didn't use EA with 4.5.  Now with v5.3 I use EA and like it. 

Anyhow, I see no difference with Envshade vs the stock shaders.  I can't replicate what I've seen with the exaggerated sun reflection, but I'll grab a screenshot next time I do.

For now, I've decided to run without Envshade enabled.

Dave

That's exactly why I asked the question.  Happy that ENVSHADE is a very inexpensive program.  I don't see the advantage.  I JUST bought ASCA from HI FI Technologies (Active Sky people), and I have to say I was extremely impressed with the cloud formations and cloud movement in a flight of about 300 miles or so.  I really am liking ASCA and there was an immediate UPDATE to the program after I bought it.  ASCA looks like a keeper!

• Upvote 1

This is the very bright arc sun effect near the horizon when using Enhanced Atmospherics  I was getting this with ENVSHADE enabled as well.

Doesn't it seem a bit too much, or is this actually realistic?

Dave

kU9aJI3.jpg

gexb6AY.jpg

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

On 12/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, spilok said:

Do you feel that the sim is better overall with ENVSHADE or without it?  I'm not seeing much difference, but I believe my cockpit is darker when I use ENVSHADE.

Try this with Envshade:

Eric 

Like the rest of you, I have been using AS, ASCA, ENVTEX AND ENVSHADE. The horizon haze issue has been a touch one.

This morning, I tried something else. I used the freeware program P3DWX, It is snowing this morning where I live in Northern IL...this is what my home airport KUGN looks like with the freeware instead of AS, 

As you can see, there is no band above the horizon. P3DWX interprets the current NOAA Metar...

Sherm

YHcjVoT.jpg

22 minutes ago, shermank said:

Like the rest of you, I have been using AS, ASCA, ENVTEX AND ENVSHADE. The horizon haze issue has been a touch one.

This morning, I tried something else. I used the freeware program P3DWX, It is snowing this morning where I live in Northern IL...this is what my home airport KUGN looks like with the freeware instead of AS, 

As you can see, there is no band above the horizon. P3DWX interprets the current NOAA Metar...

Sherm

YHcjVoT.jpg

Slew up as in the other pic. You sitting on the ground with clouds. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

1 minute ago, reecemj said:

Slew up as in the other pic. You sitting on the ground with clouds. 

Yes, but at ground level I have always had a banded horizon with AS. Full  disclosure. I do not fly the big jets and rarely go above 15000, except when flying a turbo or the rare tubeliner. So, high altituted issues that affect you, do not really bother me.

Sherm

• Like 1