Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

The most realistic weather with ActiveSky

Ok, I know it's a lottery, but how do I get the most realistic weather in 5.3 HF+ with ActiveSky :

1. EA on / Volumetric clouds ultra

2. EA on / Volumetric off
3. EA off
4. Any other combination I've missed...

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

It appears...none of the above is the right answer. Bit better but I still see haze. And Volumetric is so unrealistic and odd puffy. It is up to your liking. I keep EA on and VC off. With EA off my clouds are totally dark. ASCA+ASP+ENVSHADE here. Other than that...performance is stunning. First flight was CTD after 3Hrs...will see second flight. But never been smoother than now.

• Upvote 1

Alex 

7 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

It appears...none of the above is the right answer. Bit better but I still see haze. And Volumetric is so unrealistic and odd puffy. It is up to your liking. I keep EA on and VC off. With EA off my clouds are totally dark. ASCA+ASP+ENVSHADE here. Other than that...performance is stunning. First flight was CTD after 3Hrs...will see second flight. But never been smoother than now.

Sorry, I'm confused...what is your set up?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

ea on for me.  Then I use rex sky force for the clouds.  

• Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

29 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

Sorry, I'm confused...what is your set up?

I keep EA on and VC off.

Alex 

#2 for me until they get dynamic themes in Trusky. 

Eric 

I like EA on and volumetric clouds off.

I'm using ENVSHADE and ENVTEX and like them both. 

The only issue I have with EA is that the sun reflection effect is excessive IMO.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

EA on VOL Clouds off, using  default clouds at the moment  and AS here 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

EA on, VC High for me

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Variety is the spice of simulation. Don’t care for volumetric clouds but EA on most times and sometimes off to enjoy a brilliant day. Even try VC occasionally. No wrong answer.

• Like 1

Vic green

EA on Volumetric Clouds off. ActiveSky on and Active Sky cloud art on Full Dynamics. Finally I’m liking what I see, sure it could be better but works for me.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

44 minutes ago, joepoway said:

EA on Volumetric Clouds off. ActiveSky on and Active Sky cloud art on Full Dynamics. Finally I’m liking what I see, sure it could be better but works for me.

Joe

Ditto, best for me.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

18 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

What the best or most realistic weather settings are is so subjective that someone is always going to challenge what anyone says.  With that in mind, cyyzrwy24 is correct in my opinion.

This same question has long been asked, so as someone who did a fair amount of flying (and in different areas of the world), I went to work along with a private pilot friend mine and we came up with not only what we believed were the best addons (we worked with and tried them ALL), but the best settings for the addons we decided on.

The guys at REX have always done a great job of marketing and hoping for the best, but the simple fact is that ActiveSky is the finest weather engine I've ever used, and ActiveSkyCloudArt is simply a must have.  If you want to push textures even further, then add the Toga products!

So, ActiveSky P3D. ActiveSky Cloud Art, and Toga's EnvTex and EnvShade is in my opinion, the way to go.  I would provide the files with the settings I use for the AS and Toga products, however short of some work I did earlier this year for the US Navy, I haven't booted up P3D this year due to health reasons and I have no updated my AS or Toga products so the files wouldn't be very useful to you guys.

While I have and run both P3Dv4 and v5, I do not use EA or Volumetric clouds in P3Dv5 (not yet anyway).

I sincerely hope this makes a differernce for those looking to achieve terrific and realistic weather in P3Dv4/v5.

Best wishes and a very Happy upcoming New Year!

Disclosure:  I believe it's fair to say that I have a long history of providing fair and unbiased opinions regarding anything flight simulatuion related.  As a matter of full disclosure, I worked with the REX Team for several years and Reed Stough was a very good aquitence of mine. Damian Clark at HiFi is a very good aquintence of mine with whom I have worked closely with in the past.  I am not directly affliated with either company.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The guys at REX have always done a great job of marketing and hoping for the best, but the simple fact is that ActiveSky is the finest weather engine I've ever used, and ActiveSkyCloudArt is simply a must have.  If you want to push textures even further, then add the Toga products!

Furthermore, I would like to add my disappointment wit REX guys. While, up to v4.5 everything worked really perfect and with new platform launch it seems that they are not much interested in LM product. I've been following their Discord announcements for quite some time now and I could clearly see delay after delay for any change or update for P3D. Also, even last "patch" doesn't do anything anymore to my SIM. 

With latest 5.3 update, and same day, I added ASCA and P3D got new dimension. Of course, still not my liking but considerably better look. This is due to some other limitations P3D has. But again as I mentioned before, we all see it differently.

Question that I have is, since I have SF installed, I am not sure if it interferes with everything now. Or should I remove it completely off my PC and leave only ASP3+ASCA+Envshade?

Alex