Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Kodiak Feather question

Has anyone been able to feather the prop in the Kodiak?  I reduce prop lever till it hits the gate, and can't get past that point to feather 90% of the time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

30 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Has anyone been able to feather the prop in the Kodiak?  I reduce prop lever till it hits the gate, and can't get past that point to feather 90% of the time. 

When my axis go all way to idle and I can't move it anymore, then I use mouse and drag it down to feather! 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Yup....  peripheral axis doesn’t pull it into feather. Drag or mouse wheel. The throttle may get in the way at idle though. 

I found a tip on the official forums that while not completely ideal...does feather the prop. 

I'm using a Honeycomb Bravo, but I'm assuming anything with a detent will work the same.

From the forums:

The two keybinds I have bound to the detent are:

1. Hold propeller reverse

2. Increase propeller pitch

When you pull prop lever back fully and hold on that detent, the 1st command changes pitch from 0 to -0, then the 2nd changes pitch from -0 to -X, feathering the propeller and holding it there as long as I stay on the detent.

To stop feathering, I simply leave the detent and “shimmy” it a bit to refresh the signal sent to the sim.

44 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

When my axis go all way to idle and I can't move it anymore, then I use mouse and drag it down to feather! 

Mouse doesn't work either. It hits that offset and stops dead. I tried to get onto Discord to ask about it, but as usual, Discord is a world not allowed, and I can't get authorized, or get an email from them. I wish developers would stop using Discord

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Mouse doesn't work either. It hits that offset and stops dead. 

Did you try to "grab it" in other words click and hold while moving mouse down?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

Did you try to "grab it" in other words click and hold while moving mouse down?

Yes tried pushhing it down, grabbing it, cursing at it, pushing left , pulling right..  Nothing gets it to go past the gate around 95% of the time. Every once in awhile it will go past. 

This is a repost from the Kodiak Review thread for implementing prop featuring if you have FSUIPC7:

The below seems to work where switch T 7 is activated when the Saitek TQ prop lever is pulled all the way back. BUT..... I don't fully understand why if works. In particular, I don't understand why when the switch is activated I need to use Prop Pitch Decr. I first tried using Prop Pitch Incr since when a prop is feathered it is in high pitch (blades turned approximately parallel to the incoming wind direction), but using Prop Pitch Incr moved the prop lever in the sim in the wrong direction.  I can only guess that the below seems to work because of how the sim is making use of the input, but If anyone can help me understand better what is going on I would certainly appreciate it.

Al

5970d00a0c.png

49 minutes ago, ark said:

This is a repost from the Kodiak Review thread for implementing prop featuring if you have FSUIPC7:

The below seems to work where switch T 7 is activated when the Saitek TQ prop lever is pulled all the way back. BUT..... I don't fully understand why if works. In particular, I don't understand why when the switch is activated I need to use Prop Pitch Decr. I first tried using Prop Pitch Incr since when a prop is feathered it is in high pitch (blades turned approximately parallel to the incoming wind direction), but using Prop Pitch Incr moved the prop lever in the sim in the wrong direction.  I can only guess that the below seems to work because of how the sim is making use of the input, but If anyone can help me understand better what is going on I would certainly appreciate it.

Al

5970d00a0c.png

Will try this and report back. 

It worked.  Prop feathered when I hit the button. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Bobsk8

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Mouse doesn't work either. It hits that offset and stops dead. I tried to get onto Discord to ask about it, but as usual, Discord is a world not allowed, and I can't get authorized, or get an email from them. I wish developers would stop using Discord

Try grabbing the bar and not the handle with the mouse. Works for me..

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

54 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Will try this and report back. 

It worked.  Prop feathered when I hit the button. 

Thanks. 

Good.

BTW, in case you missed it in the Kodiak Review thread, the same idea works with FSUIPC7 to get the prop into Beta when the prop lever activates a switch at the bottom of its range. In this case you use Throttle Decr  and Throttle Cut for the Control sent when button pressed and Control sent when button released box entries, respectively. All else is the same as above for featuring.

Al

Edited by ark

Try using the mouse scroll wheel. When I scroll down a few clicks with the wheel,  the lever moves a little to the left and “unlocks” itself.  Once it is left enough and unlocked, you can grab it with a left mouse button press and move the lever all the way down to feather. Give it a shot. 

Edited by NismoRR
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NismoRR said:

Try using the mouse scroll wheel. When I scroll down a few clicks with the wheel,  the lever moves a little to the left and “unlocks” itself.  Once it is left enough and unlocked, you can grab it with a left mouse button press and move the lever all the way down to feather. Give it a shot. 

Ah ha... That works.  

8 hours ago, ark said:

Al

Thanks for posting this. Would never have figured this out on my own. 

Robin

I have it working along with beta on the throttle using my TQ6 and FSUIPC.  I calibrate the axes in FSUIPC using the reverse portion of the axis below the detent and it works no problem.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU