Sign in to follow this  
SAS443

Active Sky (8027) miserable OVC base depiction

Hello

Running a fresh P3D 5.3 + HF1 and the latest Active Sky (that I could find on their webpage). Took my fave turboprop for a spin (B350i) into ESSA / Arlanda. METAR was 23013KT 9000 OVC005 04/03 Q0993 NOSIG. However I broke through the overcast at 1.500ft  AGL instead (1.700ft QNH 993hPa) , which is a big difference vs what was reported.

I am running with EA  and "Enable detailed EA clouds" checked within AS. Is this a known bug? Can I do anything to fix this?

I was hoping P3D would do a better job depicting our low stratus cloud deck. But today was actually worse than both MSFS and XP11 (real world weather on both sims).

In general v5.3 performs fine on my end, no issues with broken addons etc.

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

You should open a support ticket at https://hifisimtech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and once resolved please let us know how!

Happy New Year.....

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

4 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Hello

Running a fresh P3D 5.3 + HF1 and the latest Active Sky (that I could find on their webpage). Took my fave turboprop for a spin (B350i) into ESSA / Arlanda. METAR was 23013KT 9000 OVC005 04/03 Q0993 NOSIG. However I broke through the overcast at 1.500ft  AGL instead (1.700ft QNH 993hPa) , which is a big difference vs what was reported.

I am running with EA  and "Enable detailed EA clouds" checked within AS. Is this a known bug? Can I do anything to fix this?

I was hoping P3D would do a better job depicting our low stratus cloud deck. But today was actually worse than both MSFS and XP11 (real world weather on both sims).

It sounds like you use volumetric clouds? Since Active Sky cannot really depict / influence them all too well, this could be the reason ( even though I think the cloud base should be easily manageable). Try again with the same Metar (historical mode) and vol clouds OFF.
Apart from that, did you read the Metar directly out of Active Sky? Or from another source? Active Sky might have been using another Metar (a bit older, or something interpolated, or midst a transisition), you can check the actual used Metar on the "condition" page in AS.

I second the submitting a support ticket suggestion; only surefire way to get official attention on it.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

On 12/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, SAS443 said:

Hello

Put the P3D low cloud offset to 0 in your settings. Under Cloud Options. 

Eric 

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

Put the P3D low cloud offset to 0 in your settings. Under Cloud Options. 

Thanks, Eric

However, that setting does not apply to EA mode 

Had an even worse experience today at ESMS. Will file a zendesk ticket at Hifisim....

7idJkSc.png

Edited by SAS443

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Wondering if there was a solution to this?  Last weekend KPHL was socked in, but I was showing clear skies.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

On 1/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, SAS443 said:

Thanks, Eric

However, that setting does not apply to EA mode 

Had an even worse experience today at ESMS. Will file a zendesk ticket at Hifisim....

7idJkSc.png

You are reviewing a conditions report at an airport, but you are not at that airport from what I can see, so this is not a useful comparison.  Perhaps the local conditions were the same but that is not apparent.  Discrepancy reports need proper comparison based on actual location.  Regarding volclouds accuracy, it is known that there are limitations and 500ft-1000ft base deviation from when you can see out of the cloud is quite common.  This is not specific to any add on.  

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

1 hour ago, Damian Clark said:

Perhaps the local conditions were the same but that is not apparent

No different in the actual ceiling depiction....

Disappointing, but good to know that volclouds practically makes it a gamble to see somewhat accurate ceilings (again no blame on Active Sky).

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

32 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

No different in the actual ceiling depiction....

Disappointing, but good to know that volclouds practically makes it a gamble to see somewhat accurate ceilings (again no blame on Active Sky).

Make sure a flight plan is loaded to prevent unexpected conditions on approach due to adjacent wx stations in the area.  We’re hoping to improve or supplement the volclouds vis restriction in these cases to bring back some IMC accuracy that is missing here, once the core simulator changes here slow down a little.  For now, volclouds off or ea off is recommended for the best accuracy in ceilings and cloud depiction in general.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I've been seeing this at LLBG the past few flights.  METAR at destination say Clear with 4 miles visibility.    15 miles from the airport it is completely clear then all of a sudden I hit a overcast wall descending through ~ 5,000 feet 15 miles from the airport and the visibility at LLBG goes down to 4 miles as the Metar says.  But at 16 miles out and 6,000 feet it is completely clear without a surface layer cloud or hint of overcast.   

This is with 4.5HF3 and I've never seen the transition this bad before... Literally clear skies to 4 mile visibility is like an on/off switch that someone flicks as you get into range of the airport.  I am using a FlightPlan.  This is definitely new in 4.5HF3...  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 hours ago, psolk said:

I've been seeing this at LLBG the past few flights.  METAR at destination say Clear with 4 miles visibility.    15 miles from the airport it is completely clear then all of a sudden I hit a overcast wall descending through ~ 5,000 feet 15 miles from the airport and the visibility at LLBG goes down to 4 miles as the Metar says.  But at 16 miles out and 6,000 feet it is completely clear without a surface layer cloud or hint of overcast.   

This is with 4.5HF3 and I've never seen the transition this bad before... Literally clear skies to 4 mile visibility is like an on/off switch that someone flicks as you get into range of the airport.  I am using a FlightPlan.  This is definitely new in 4.5HF3...  

Paul, see this topic on the HiFi forum and the answers posted by Damian from HiFi. Their fixes will only work in their last few builds if you are running P3D 5.3HF1. Anything earlier, you will not see any change. 

8040 Release Question | HiFi Simulation Technologies Forums (hifisimtech.com)

• Upvote 1

Eric 

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

Paul, see this topic on the HiFi forum and the answers posted by Damian from HiFi. Their fixes will only work in their last few builds if you are running P3D 5.3HF1. Anything earlier, you will not see any change. 

8040 Release Question | HiFi Simulation Technologies Forums (hifisimtech.com)

Thanks Eric...  Bigger issue is I never saw this in 4.5HF3 until 8027 I believe...  So whatever they fixed in 5.3HF1 seems to have had a negative impact on 4.5...   Until LM figures out the issue in 5.3 I'm back on 4.5 but now AS seems to have gone backwards.  I will have to uninstall and see if I have an older AS build for 4.5HF3...

Thank you!!  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

25 minutes ago, psolk said:

Thanks Eric...  Bigger issue is I never saw this in 4.5HF3 until 8027 I believe...  So whatever they fixed in 5.3HF1 seems to have had a negative impact on 4.5...   Until LM figures out the issue in 5.3 I'm back on 4.5 but now AS seems to have gone backwards.  I will have to uninstall and see if I have an older AS build for 4.5HF3...

Thank you!!  

Try 7887, that is what I'm using for 5.2. It's the last official stable build. 

• Like 1

Eric 

7 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Try 7887, that is what I'm using for 5.2. It's the last official stable build. 

Will do, TY sir!  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk