Sign in to follow this  
Amon1973

Aerosoft Twin Otter

Over on the Aerosoft forums, Mathijs Kok has just announced that release day is 19th Jan priced at 29.95  plus VAT.

Bring it on.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/155894-aerosoft-aircraft-twin-otter/page/71/

Edited by eaim1973
  • Like 5

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Looks decent.  No pms GTN support though.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

9 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Looks decent.  No pms GTN support though.

I agree, no PMS GTN support is a disappointment, hopefully they have second thoughts.

Maybe Aerosoft know something we don't.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

If you enjoyed flying the Twin Otter Extended in P3D and were looking forward to the Twin Otter coming to MSFS, then I believe that you will be very satisfied with this offering. Much better in so many ways than the Extended version, and a joy to fly. Captured true to form for the 100 and 300 series, no glass cockpit here as you would find in the more modern 400 series, you must learn to fly it with older style GPS and AP. Embrace the challenge of mastering this plane as it comes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paddler said:

you must learn to fly it with older style GPS and AP. Embrace the challenge of mastering this plane as it comes.

The P3D version at least allowed for a drop in GNS from RXP.  Might as well fly with no GPS - that's how poor the default or even the pms gns is.  Many twin otters are equipped with a more modern GPS - not to mention a half glass or full glass cockpit

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I shall make up for my neglect of purchasing the Twin Otter in FSX, probably one of the few addons I don't own for FSX/P3D.

I'll definitely be grabbing this for MSFS.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I guess I otter get her.  🤢

ns

• Like 3

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

The P3D version at least allowed for a drop in GNS from RXP.  Might as well fly with no GPS - that's how poor the default or even the pms gns is.  Many twin otters are equipped with a more modern GPS - not to mention a half glass or full glass cockpit

Maybe you can figure out how to add the TDS GTNXi to the Otter.

33 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Maybe you can figure out how to add the TDS GTNXi to the Otter.

It won't work well without a 3d bezel - so basically someone needs to model that into the cockpit...  And it looks pretty tight in the twin otter cockpit hehe.

It can always work with a 2d popup.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

16 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Ryan, agree that there is of course an infinite variety of gauges found in actual flying versions of this plane. I myself have a 10 inch touch screen that I use for displaying the Garvin 750 which picks up and displays the flight plan that I entered from the MSFS startup screen. I use this as a moving map display but have started to learn how to use the the imbedded Aerosoft GPS and AP in this offering.  This is what they have decided to model and I am happy to accept the challenge and it will become the staple plane for most of my flights. As the SDK evolves perhaps a future "Extended" version that allows for more individual customization may be offered. In the mean time happy flying.   

• Upvote 1

Some more tidbits from Aerosoft:

Some of the less visible (audible) but very realistic features of this product.

• The Electrical system is pretty well defined. You will notice the batteries have just enough power to crank the engines as you will see all lights dim a bit. This is rather normal for aircraft of the period but I think it has not been modeled before.
  • The Hydraulic system is also very well modeled. When the pressure drops, for example because you use the brakes or flaps you will see that indicated and will hear the pump topping up the pressure.
  • Over a 100 different sounds were recorded in the cockpit. Wipers, Crossfeed selector, Hydraulic accumulator, Gyro spool up and upon switching off the power spool down, leaver movement including microswitches, Yoke movement, Control lock placement, Break release, Doors opening and closing, starter sounds and so many more. 
  • Climb and Cruise fuel burn realistic (only at full power does the fuel burn deviate a bit)
  • Single-engine performance including VMCA tested against the real airplane.
  • Realistic stall characteristics at all flap settings (that is a hard one to get right btw)
  • Accurate change in flight characteristics from MTOW to Low and empty weights 

As with all our aircraft we only model Standard Operating Procedures, so no emergencies, failing systems, popping circuit breakers etc. The standard failure mode of the sim will work though, we just did not enhance that in any way.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/155894-aerosoft-aircraft-twin-otter/&do=findComment&comment=1070084

• Like 1

A bit too bad emergencies, failing systems aren't implemented yet as per that last line. One of the reasons I flew the P3D version so much was because the engines could catch fire and stop working if you overstressed them, that was a great feature, really added to the experience. Hopefully that will get taken care of as things mature. Looking forward to the reviews on this one.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,