Sign in to follow this  
ark

GTN 750s Capabilities Clarification

5 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

If you are looking for realistic performance and capabilities, this is the correct choice. 

Well the GTN750 is now going to use the NXI LNAV/VNAV capabilities so they will be performing in similar fashion.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

57 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Well the GTN750 is now going to use the NXI LNAV/VNAV capabilities so they will be performing in similar fashion.

There's still a lot of work to get it close to g1000 NXi nav.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

There's still a lot of work to get it close to g1000 NXi nav.

You didn't hear me, They are using the G1000 NXI code. It's already in Beta. It will be exactly the same

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

21 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

You didn't hear me, They are using the G1000 NXI code. It's already in Beta. It will be exactly the same

I read what you wrote correctly.  I have the beta.  It's barebones at the moment - it will take a long while to accomplish what the NXi already does.  The types of legs etc, holds, missed etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:
On 1/15/2022 at 2:48 AM, MrBitstFlyer said:

PMS unit works very well in MSFS.  Features are adequate and the unit can be operated in the cockpit view.

I would disagree. As an actual 750 (and 650 for that matter) user in real life, the flight planning works for the most part, but it can't do holds, it therefor really doesn't follow approaches. You can't activate approaches the way they are activated in the real unit ("direct to" an IAF). I'm instrument-rated and use the 750 for IFR in real life, and the PMS unit is in no way analogous to an actual 750. Sure some of this is the fault of the sim. Beats the word not allowed out of spinning dials in the 530 for sure, and if you don't know the capabilities of the actual unit you'll be fine. 

If the price were half what it is my opinion would be different, bust asking $75 for that thing is a joke. Do not pay an extremely premium price for it thinking it's going to be like the real thing. It just isn't.

The PMS 750 does work very well in MSFS and I was correct to say it is 'adequate'.  The PMS 750 is work in progress and has received several updates since I purchased it.   The GTN750 uses the Garmin Trainer software and is thus more accurate to the real unit.  This would be the one to go for if 'adequate' is not a good enough standard for what you want to achieve in the sim.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, mtr75 said:

I would disagree. As an actual 750 (and 650 for that matter) user in real life, the flight planning works for the most part, but it can't do holds, it therefor really doesn't follow approaches. You can't activate approaches the way they are activated in the real unit ("direct to" an IAF). I'm instrument-rated and use the 750 for IFR in real life, and the PMS unit is in no way analogous to an actual 750. Sure some of this is the fault of the sim. Beats the word not allowed out of spinning dials in the 530 for sure, and if you don't know the capabilities of the actual unit you'll be fine. 

If the price were half what it is my opinion would be different, bust asking $75 for that thing is a joke. Do not pay an extremely premium price for it thinking it's going to be like the real thing. It just isn't.

I think you’re being a little hard on the pms version. I’ve owned a gtn 750 in my plane for the last 7 years, and the software updates in the unit have definitely come a LONG way to get us to where we are now (and I have a regular gtn750 not nxi so can’t do smart glide with my g500txi, g5s, and gfc600 😞 ). 

anyway, yes the direct to and activating approaches is not the same but I’ve maybe done two real world holds in hundreds of approaches (not counting training). It’s just not a feature I care about. Vnav, on the other hand, I absolutely love. Nice to have the calc at least. 

anyway, I give the unit a solid B+ and bought the lifetime. Mostly because I absolutely abhor dials and just cant imagine using them in the sim. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, ryanbatcund said:

MSFS requires a login haha...so if that goes down we're in hot water lol.

Yep, and when we lost power Monday we were forced into offline mode with horrible scenery . I'd love to just be able to download the whole USA in one big cache and just fly offline. I don't use all this online Data stuff and my install wont allow me to see other players anyway.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:09 PM, Ajb376 said:

I think you’re being a little hard on the pms version. I’ve owned a gtn 750 in my plane for the last 7 years, and the software updates in the unit have definitely come a LONG way to get us to where we are now (and I have a regular gtn750 not nxi so can’t do smart glide with my g500txi, g5s, and gfc600 😞 ). 

anyway, yes the direct to and activating approaches is not the same but I’ve maybe done two real world holds in hundreds of approaches (not counting training). It’s just not a feature I care about. Vnav, on the other hand, I absolutely love. Nice to have the calc at least. 

anyway, I give the unit a solid B+ and bought the lifetime. Mostly because I absolutely abhor dials and just cant imagine using them in the sim. 

Buying it because you don't like dials is one hing, and I understand that. Re the holds, it doesn't fly course reversals. At all. It doesn't even depict them. I can hand-fly a hold no problem, no matter what the aircraft. But when you're on a heading of 280 and it activates the ILS 10, it's a little problematic not even having the published course reversal depicted. 

And I get it. You and I are talking about things that most people won't even know much less miss. But if you're going to ask the same price for this unit as the sim itself, it has to a bit better. 

9 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Buying it because you don't like dials is one hing, and I understand that. Re the holds, it doesn't fly course reversals. At all. It doesn't even depict them. I can hand-fly a hold no problem, no matter what the aircraft. But when you're on a heading of 280 and it activates the ILS 10, it's a little problematic not even having the published course reversal depicted. 

And I get it. You and I are talking about things that most people won't even know much less miss. But if you're going to ask the same price for this unit as the sim itself, it has to a bit better. 

Fair point. It’s been awhile since I’ve done anything but click no on “fly course reversal” when I activate an approach. 

probably should brush up on my tear drop and parallel entries!

I’m hoping third party aircraft continue to support it. It’s nice to have the fit into the panel. A shame the nxi isn’t comparable because I would def prefer to fly when with a pfd that has an hsi moving map. Oh well

Right now the GTN-750 news has been very quiet. No input on this time of any improvement on the horizon. I'm wondering if its still being worked on.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

1 hour ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

Right now the GTN-750 news has been very quiet. No input on this time of any improvement on the horizon. I'm wondering if its still being worked on.

Hehe hehe

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

On 1/17/2022 at 1:57 PM, fogboundturtle said:

They are using the G1000 NXI code. It's already in Beta. It will be exactly the same

There's one thing that will never be the same, the Nxi airac depends on the twice/year update while the PMS will always use the sims updated nav data which is a major consideration for me.

If there was a way to leave the sim, Navigraph and the Trainer all at the same cycle then it would be fine, but coming from P3D when everything is/was always out of sync it's just a tiresome pain I don't want to go back to.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

On 1/22/2022 at 8:03 AM, MSFLYER5856 said:

I'm wondering if its still being worked on.

I don't have it yet but It now has working crossover with the WT Nxi G1000. Jezzz how cool is that.

9nl16zM.jpg

• Like 2

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Based on the comments on WT's discord, it's the 750 installed alongside the NXi, with the 750 and the VFR map showing the NXi flight plan.   WT's avionics framework was released as open source a few weeks ago and it looks like pimarc has been putting a lot of effort into adapting it.

The people's flag is deepest red.