Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Overexposed skies when looking down in cockpit

On 6/27/2022 at 11:26 PM, Stearmandriver said:

Yup, MSFS likes to revert settings in that config file for no reason. It does the same with color grading.  Changing it to read-only does fix this. Just remember you've done it if you want to make any permanent changes to graphics settings! 

If your settings are 'Custom' this shouldn't need read Only - unless this has recently changed.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 6/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, WestAir said:
On 6/26/2022 at 5:39 AM, StewCal said:

Interestingly, last night, I changed the eyeadaptation from 1 to 0 and it fixed it for me.  Did it both non-VR and VR sections.

Where do I find the config file to change eye adaption ?  (Steam version)

Edited by Beagle12
Update text

MSFS Microsoft Store version:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft .FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg. opt
MSFS Steam version:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

I changed eyeadaptation days ago, and it stays like that, even after making other changes in the menu's.  Global Rendering Quality is set as Custom. I was wondering if you have this set as Medium / High / Ultra / ... the system will revert back to these fixed settings and set eyeadaptation back to 1;  Just a thought.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

In my experience, the only time that changes made to the usercfg.opt file have been reverted was during a simulator update.
My understanding is that in-gameuser settings are stored in the "cloud".
However, many of the manual edits to the Usercfg.opt file are necessary because there is no in-game setting.
Given that in-game settings are the ones that are saved in the cloud, it is highly unlikely that manual edits would be affected by the saved in-game settings being reapplied.

Edited by Reader

All this time I've been thinking that eye-adaptation to on made sense. But I too have the terrible whiteout when looking mostly at instrument panel. It takes a bit of fiddling around to set the viewpoint to actually see both the instruments as well as outside (don't use track ir). I'll try with eye adaptation to off. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

If the FOV and seating position are correct, eye adaption shouldn't  be a big problem.  My outside view will only whiteout when I am head down with just tiny view of the outside.  The vast majority of the time I do not perceive any part of the view to be too bright or dark.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 2/3/2022 at 9:21 AM, captain420 said:

When will they ever fix this? It's a bit too overdone. The skies and ground colors look nice when I'm I pan the cam and focus most of it on the top half while in cockpit view, but when I pan down to look at my instrument panel, the outside view becomes extremely overexposed and washed out and you can barely make out the details. This effect is overdone and it has bothered me since release. Does MS/Asobo know of the issue? Since I have my default cockpit camera set perfectly to look at both my instruments and the outside, I want to be able to have both properly exposed. I hate having to choose whether my instrument panel (bottom half) gets properly exposed of the top half (outside). It's frustrating the hell out of me.

Thanks so much for posting this. It was driving me nuts and I have wasted hours fiddling with monitor and graphics card settings. The EyeAdaption 0 setting worked for me and FINALLY I can check my instruments AND see ahead without a white-out obscuring my view! Pity it resets the UserCfg.opt when you close the program but I can live with that 🙂

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

17 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

Pity it resets the UserCfg.opt when you close the program but I can live with that

Is the "Preset" option in UserCfg.opt set to "Custom"? If not, then yeah, the options will reset when the program is closed. For me, with "Preset Custom", the options do NOT reset.

{Graphics
	Version 1.1.0
	Preset Custom

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

3 hours ago, JimBrown said:

Is the "Preset" option in UserCfg.opt set to "Custom"? If not, then yeah, the options will reset when the program is closed. For me, with "Preset Custom", the options do NOT reset.

{Graphics
	Version 1.1.0
	Preset Custom

...jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for that tip. It worked!

Much appreciated,

Adam

TrafficPilot

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg