Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

Is it really worth overclocking for Fs 2020 ?

Just curious, do u really have to overclock for FS 2020 ?  I know when using FSX, it was all about overclocking.  U can see my specs in my sig.

I only bring this topic up, cause yesterday as I was making a flight from KFLL to KORD, when I was on final, all of a sudden everything came to a hallt, and that was the end of my flight.  Yes, I was , frustrated have heard these stories since FS 2020 came out.

I scratched my head, cursed a few words, I think I have a decent computer, been simming for quite a while,

Anyway, should I overclock, Yes or No  Currently I am overclocking at 4.8ghz

Please give me ur thoughts, now since FS 2020 has been out for about a year and a half.

Edited by Sunshine13

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Usual steps here are to empty your Community folder of extraneous add-ons, lower your graphics settings, etc., etc., while debugging this problem. I used to overclock my 7700K CPU, but now that MSFS has matured a bit, it's my 1080 GPU that is limiting, while the CPU loafs along. I will eventually buy or build another computer for simming, and I don't plan on overclocking. It's too little gain for too much effort, but I'm sure now that I have said it, others will chime in explaining why I'm wrong. Also, was this an isolated occurrence or does it happen all the time? Every sim I have owned (FSX, P3D, XP, and MSFS) has crashed occasionally, so it's just something I've come to expect. 

BTW, you can use Developer Mode to ascertain what is limiting your framerate. 

Hope this helps, if only to bump your question to the top of the page again. You might want to provide some additional information, like the resolution of your monitor to help others in helping you.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

1 hour ago, Sunshine13 said:

Anyway, should I overclock, Yes or No  Currently I am overclocking at 4.8ghz

My system specs are below in my footer.  Mine are somewhat less than yours. I am operating totally with SSDs.  I fly at 4K and for the most part Ultra settings.  100 Render,400 Terrain LOD, and 200 Object LOD.  I do not OC.  I fly primarily GA and rarely fly into detailed payware international airports.  I have flown into Chicago with the Dzrew Chicago Landmarks without issues but I believe in-flight I lowered my MSFS res to 1440 as I flew into KMDW, which I have as a freeware addon.  For other reasons (slowing frame rates toward the end of long flights) I have traffic set to off for now.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

No.  Let the system decide.

ns

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I have my 5600x to 4.85 GHz and so far haven't run into many issues.  A crash once in a blue moon with that.  I haven't A/B'd the FPS with the clock at normal, but since the OC is so stable I feel any improvement I am seeing is worth it.  However, I have been unable to get any stable OC on my 3090 (ASUS TUF OC).  Even settings that are rock solid in 3DMark for hours will increase my crashes in MSFS.  I was able to flash it with the Gigabyte Gaming OC bios, so it has a max draw of 370W vs 350W.  However, with my frames capped at 60fps, I'm more or less stable and running at ~330-340W max draw for most flights so I don't even tap into the available overhead usually.

tldr; stable OC with my processor, completely unable to OC with my graphics card.

Edited by bbsmitz

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

No overclocking here.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

There's a known issue about frame loss towards the end of a long trip. It happened to me yesterday in a flight in the FBW KBOS-KLAX. Take off and cruise was totally fine, but as soon as I got below 10,000 - it was a slide show and I have a beefy computer. I know it's not LA because I fly around there all the time as my home airport is KSMO without any issues at all. Hopefully with the upcoming SU8, that'll be resolved. 

3 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

There's a known issue about frame loss towards the end of a long trip.

Interested in learning your traffic settings.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

My PC is over spec for FS 2020... and the sim doesn't even use half my machines performance and still is somewhat limited... not sure why. 32gb of ram, 2700x, rtx3070Ti and still get 40fps 😄

9 minutes ago, AvAngel said:

My PC is over spec for FS 2020... and the sim doesn't even use half my machines performance and still is somewhat limited... not sure why. 32gb of ram, 2700x, rtx3070Ti and still get 40fps 😄

A good deal depends on what you fly, where you fly enroute, where you fly into, and what addons you have in use for that flight, payware and freeware.  It all contributes.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

36 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Interested in learning your traffic settings.

Live traffic on that flight, I believe.

15 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

Live traffic on that flight, I believe.

I believe that it has in the past been an issue on flights perhaps longer that 2 or 2.5 hours.  Not certain of the current status of that so making no conclusions.  I for the time being fly with all aircraft traffic set to off. Have not tried any 3rd party traffic. If I recall accurately, some have reported that tuning off MSFS live traffic for a period of time during a flight and then turning it back on might make a difference.  Like clearing some buffer.  Again just reflecting what I have read from others.  All that can possibly be said then is that when over 2 hours into a fight, any step that preserves the flight to its planned end is well worth it.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

A few years back, I could get a 20% performance increase in FSX by overclocking.  Nowadays, the amount of gain from overclocking is not really worth the instability it causes in my experience.  Certainly, I find this to be the case for AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, though I can't speak for Intel users as I haven't bought their stuff for years.

On the other hand, if you like to tinker, modern devices have thermal cut outs which prevent you doing much damage other than throttling your FPS.

I'ma bit wary of overclocking RAM though having had the odd stick go bad as a result in the past and never really noticed any gain in that area.

• Like 5

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)