Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

X-Plane 12 Development Update – March 4th, 2022

13 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

No, i was talking about x-plane desktop.

You can rent a "cloud pc" and run every game or simulator you want, this has been the case for years now and mostly unrelated to the software you are running.

Oh God! I had no idea! Makes me feel so old.😀

Edited by jarmstro

1 hour ago, soaring_penguin said:

And Jamstro comes up (again) with something completely unrelated (cloud gaming is the future)

Its a valid talking point - even if most people would rather stuff like streaming or MS or people yelling for more war/weapons and hate would just crawl back under the rock they came from and die a painful death.

Austin has said he believes it to be the future and LR did go on a massive damage control spree to say "not for XP12".

thankfully XP12 is 

At some point during this bug fixing process, we will transition from the closed private alpha to an open “Early Access” beta program. Once we make this transition, anyone who wishes to participate in Early Access will be able to purchase a license of X-Plane 12 and use the new sim right away.

Rather than any of that nonsense.

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

critical bugs hadnt been reported for years because org mods and community leaders were telling everyone they either werent bugs or not to expect them to be fixed.

This I mostly agree with, some of the local residents both here and there are nearly detrimental to the development of X-Plane with their close-minded attitude. 

Edited by peroni
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

Austin has said he believes it to be the future and LR did go on a massive damage control spree to say "not for XP12".

But just because 'Austin' says something does not make it right? Or does it. 😂

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

But just because 'Austin' says something does not make it right? Or does it. 😂

Depends on your perspective.

Unfortunately capitalism is generally a successful business model - but not always.

Pay per month mostly worked well for P3D, until it didn't. 

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

Depends on your perspective.

Unfortunately capitalism is generally a successful business model - but not always.

Pay per month mostly worked well for P3D, until it didn't. 

Tell you what. XP is not capitalism. It's a dictatorship. And herein lies the problem😂, He should have sold it three years ago imo.

11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Tell you what. XP is not capitalism. It's a dictatorship. And herein lies the problem😂, He should have sold it three years ago imo.

capitalism by its very definition is akin to dictatorship. One person owns it and only they have a say in how its used.

Sold it to who? and why? Did he turn down your offer or something? What would they have done differently? So many questions opened by a statement like that and I doubt you thought them through...

As per just the discussion re the org and community leaders standing in the way of development, imo they should have kicked the org out years ago, they should go further still and incorporate an in sim marketplace.

But by and large I dont see anyone more qualified standing in the wings, and they would still need Austin on salary to build the flight model stuff so not that much would really change.

If the bean counters were running the show XP12 would be pay per month for sure.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

Sold it to who? and why? Did he turn down your offer or something? What would they have done differently?

Fresh blood. With the money and the energy to keep the sim at the forefront. Just saying.

6 hours ago, JLuis said:

I was thinking about it now. Gone are the days of secret developments and not informing customers about the progress of projects. Today the market requires information, progress, status, estimated deadlines.

That old answer that some developers give "will be released when it's ready" no longer fits in today's market.

I have a feeling I might be understanding what you're insinuating in saying this but I might be entirely wrong as well. What is sure is that not only LR has always been informing their customers about the progress of their various simulators, and in a regular basis, but they have also been constantly informing the 3rd party developers community not only about their progress, but their directions in short, medium and longer terms, so that both Laminar Research and the 3rd parties can build up on the plan in a mutually beneficial way, unlike the other example I'm thinking is the prominent one you're insinuating.

And more than this, see the rest of my comment below...

6 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Im not getting it.

X-plane developers blog is already there for years, they updated including road maps for YEARS. I use x-plane since v10 and I always knew what is coming due to this blog, like many other users.

So what change are you guys talking about? It is not the first time that LR made such an update, it is happening for many years already regardless of any competetion.

I agree with you, and on top of that, their lead developer is also sharing on his personal blogs TONS of highly technical details about the things he is experimenting and implementing in the X-Plane simulator and he has been doing this for ages:

(edited I've forgotten to add the link to the blog)

http://hacksoflife.blogspot.com/

@JLuis IMHO his blog is much more relevant information that a few YT videos where you would have to waste 90 to 120min of of your time (let alone greenhouse gaz emissions in doing so) only to find out there is either little substance in the end and most of it, the substantial matter, could have been written in a blog post and read in 5min. But my perception is subjective and biased because of being a 3rd party vendor and probably my generation (although I'm not that much old LOL)

Edited by RXP
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

42 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Fresh blood. With the money and the energy to keep the sim at the forefront. Just saying.

I know you have a point there, you just arent making it well.

What does this mean? how would things be different?

LR already have the best flight sim developers on staff, and attract the worlds best developers who cant or are unwilling to work under Austin as 3rd parties.

Its why developers like unigine, despite having among the best graphics engineers on staff havent been able to make a scratch on the flight simulator market.

What would someone else owning the LR brand actually change, why would that be better, and why would it need someone else owning the LR brand to change it?

Literally hundreds of alternatives have fallen by the way side over the life of xplane - more than one of them by or owned by Microsoft, I would argue "fresh meat" would be more likely to result in another one of them than any kind of improvement over what we have now.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Thats the problem isnt it, everyone thinks they know exactly what  needs to be done, its just that 99% of people disagree with them. A persons opinion doesnt make them an authority or correct.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

Thats the problem isnt it, everyone thinks they know exactly what  needs to be done, its just that 99% of people disagree with them. A persons opinion doesnt make them an authority or correct.

I have a different spin on it.

99% of people think they could do better.

But have no idea how they would actually do better.

This isnt unique to here, its the kind of thinking that got steve jobs fired from Apple or Travis Kalanick kicked out of Uber. Even Gates to step away from MS.

But it goes the other way as well. You need good leadership otherwise you end up in a situation like Boris Johnson and Joe Biden trying to lecture the world on global affairs and barely 1% caring what they say or do.

It seems to me, that for the most part Austin has delegated most responsabilities to Ben, in which case maybe any fault lies there.

Still not heard any better options or valid criticism of XP tho, so all that is something of a moot point I guess. 

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

On another note, what happened to all of the 'eastern Europeans' doing new autogen? No mention of that anymore? 

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

On another note, what happened to all of the 'eastern Europeans' doing new autogen? No mention of that anymore? 

XHTlabs are the "eastern europeans". They now work for Laminar. 

We won't see any new scenery footage as long as the dsf recuts task is still open.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 1