Sign in to follow this  
kiwis

RNAV Arrival A320NX

A number of my favourite secondary airports either don’t have ILS or it’s not in MSFS. 

other than a visual is there any way to approach the runway without ILS?

I assume you can work out if the final point is 10nm and your at 2800ft where you should be at every NM out but that doesn’t help with left and right.

Is this VNAV which everyone is waiting on or is there currently a way to do this??

I think RNAV works ok in the experimental version, yes you should get the waypoints for the approach (at least if you have Navigraph).  However, VNAV deals with how it auto flys the vertical portion.  ILS is always more precise then RNAV.  

So, utilizing any of the available charts, you can fly the vertical portion of the RNAV.  the FBW plane should do a pretty good job on the lateral (horiz) part of the plan.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

11 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

I think RNAV works ok in the experimental version, yes you should get the waypoints for the approach (at least if you have Navigraph).  However, VNAV deals with how it auto flys the vertical portion.  ILS is always more precise then RNAV.  

So, utilizing any of the available charts, you can fly the vertical portion of the RNAV.  the FBW plane should do a pretty good job on the lateral (horiz) part of the plan.

So leave auto pilot in and just descend as per the waypoint heights in the chart until you get visual then land?

some airports don’t have many waypoints 

27 minutes ago, kiwis said:

So leave auto pilot in and just descend as per the waypoint heights in the chart until you get visual then land?

some airports don’t have many waypoints 

You could just enter the Minimum Altitute into the AP and than decent with 700-900 ft/min (check charts) until the Minimum Altitude, then when runway is in sight: disconnect AP.

• Like 1

The routing (lateral) should work in dev and exp. The glidepath won't. Check the descent angle degrees in the respective chart, go to TRK/FPA mode and descent as requested.

We need a proper VNAV to implement RNAV. > We are working on it.

• Like 6

FlyByWire Simulations

3 hours ago, kiwis said:

You can also set the descent angle directly. That way you have less work to do and it‘s more precise. You can find the angle in the charts. It‘s normally 3 degrees. It works quite well.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I fly lots of RNAV / RNP approaches in the FBW A320N. Lateral guidance works really well but you need to be aware of your speed and altitude and plan your vertical positioning - Navigraph charts can help with this.

I really enjoy the challenge of doing this - I've never been into using automation right down to the threshold. 

Full RNAV / RNP is still being worked on, I believe. 

Unfortunately not yet with cold weather compensation because they haven't yet implemented that feature correctly...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Does the vertical indicator in the PFD (I mean the vertical path alignment indicator in blue) work/appear with the last experimental version?

This worked a long time ago, but I have not seen it on the recent experimental versions.

Thanks.

Edited by patrice_bambou
  • Like 1

Patrice Dubois

2 hours ago, patrice_bambou said:

Does the vertical indicator in the PFD (I mean the vertical path alignment indicator in blue) work/appear with the last experimental version?

This worked a long time ago, but I have not seen it on the recent experimental versions.

Thanks.

It worked (long time ago) when we used the default MSFS PFD and FMS. But since a while now, we use our own custom made ones (also autopilot, fadec, flybywire, etc.). And it isn't implemented in our systems yet.

Edited by Watsi
  • Like 2

FlyByWire Simulations

Ok. Thank you.

And congratulations for the great work made on this plane. it is better and better day after day.

Patrice Dubois

15 hours ago, kiwis said:

A number of my favourite secondary airports either don’t have ILS or it’s not in MSFS. 

other than a visual is there any way to approach the runway without ILS?

I assume you can work out if the final point is 10nm and your at 2800ft where you should be at every NM out but that doesn’t help with left and right.

Is this VNAV which everyone is waiting on or is there currently a way to do this??

Not knowing exactly what is simulated in MSFS FBWA320 but none precision approaches like VOR aproaches should be an option using the bird/FPA and waypoints in the MCDU.?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

If I do an RNAV/RNP Approach, I have to manage to be in full landing configuration at the IAF at the right altitude, then downwards with all alt restriction to the dh minimum. Here I often use 200ft.After passing DH I prefer AP off and a smooth landing.

You may want to watch this video on RNAV

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)