Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

MSFS Will Not LOAD

After upgrading board and cpu I am no longer able to open the game. When I press the icon, nothing is happening.

I've done the usual things like updating the XBOX AP, downloaded the game, tried the reset option, tried the fix option, but no success.

I have tried getting a call from support, but when I answer the phone, there's no one there. Tried that 6 times.

Now I'm thinking that it's an authentication problem with MS.

Anyone else ever had this happen? If so, please share what you did to get the game running again.

Thanks.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

After upgrading your board and CPU, did you run any other games that call DirectX, other than MSFS?  If possible, try running a few different games that you know make calls to DirectX.

Also, did you do anything else other than swap your motherboard and CPU?  You didn't modify Windows or MSFS at all when you swapped your motherboard and CPU, right?  If you didn't modify Windows or MSFS at all when you swapped your motherboard and CPU, MSFS not booting up is somehow related to the change in your motherboard and CPU.  

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

After upgrading your board and CPU, did you run any other games that call DirectX, other than MSFS?  If possible, try running a few different games that you know make calls to DirectX.

Also, did you do anything else other than swap your motherboard and CPU?  You didn't modify Windows or MSFS at all when you swapped your motherboard and CPU, right?  If you didn't modify Windows or MSFS at all when you swapped your motherboard and CPU, MSFS not booting up is somehow related to the change in your motherboard and CPU.  

I do not play any other games. Just MSFS.

The first thing I did is try to run the sim without a clean install. I had the same issue. With the previous system, the sim always loaded. I only upgraded for better fps. Now I have no sim at all. LOL

I now understand why many just buy the Steam edition. I will not. I'm still trying to get a hold of MS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I do not play any other games. Just MSFS.

The first thing I did is try to run the sim without a clean install. I had the same issue. With the previous system, the sim always loaded. I only upgraded for better fps. Now I have no sim at all. LOL

I now understand why many just buy the Steam edition. I will not. I'm still trying to get a hold of MS.

So the reason why I asked if you can run any other games, is because if you can't run any other games that call DirectX, it's probably something you did (or you didn't do) when you swapped your motherboard and CPU.

For starters, I'm not sure if you checked whether you needed to download drivers for your motherboard and the CPU that you swapped, and whether you needed to update your motherboard's BIOS.  When I swapped my CPU (I put an i5-9400 into my motherboard), I also had to update the BIOS for my motherboard before I put the CPU in.  In addition, perhaps you didn't secure your graphics card properly on your new motherboard, or  you didn't secure the RAM properly. And of course, I hope you didn't mess up the thermal paste when you attached the new CPU to your motherboard.

Some CPUs also have integrated graphics on it, so even if you didn't secure your graphics card properly on your new motherboard, you wouldn't know about it because Windows can run with the integrated graphics on your CPU, rather than using your graphics card.

By running another game that calls DirectX, you can quickly decipher if it's your motherboard and CPU that is causing the problem.  If you can't even run other games, then you know it's not MSFS related.

Edited by abrams_tank

50 minutes ago, DJJose said:

've done the usual things like updating the XBOX AP, downloaded the game, tried the reset option, tried the fix option, but no success.

Have gone into your Microsoft Store account to check if MSFS is there and needs updating. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

56 minutes ago, DJJose said:

After upgrading board and cpu I am no longer able to open the game

Tangential curiosity:  when did it become possible to change motherboards w/o a wholesale reinstall of Windows etc?

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Tangential curiosity:  when did it become possible to change motherboards w/o a wholesale reinstall of Windows etc?

You have always been able to just re-activate Windows and install new drivers. No need to reinstall Windows.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

I haven't swapped my motherboard out yet.  But just checking a thread at Tomshardware about swapping a motherboard out, https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/do-i-need-to-reinstall-windows-after-change-motherboard.3712551/, it appears that in some situations, you also need to install chipset drivers, graphics drivers, and even more, when you swap the motherboard.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I did upgrade without any issues activating win 10 to the new board. You do need to install the Network drivers for this new MSI board. There are a few other drivers, but it's as simple as using your CD ROM. If the user still has one.

As an expert simmer I'm appalled that the MS Store has not been able to fix this well known and frustrating issue. It's bad enough that I have to download 175 GIG again, but right now I can't even open the AP in order for the download to start.

Trying to get support on the phone requires that they call you. When you answer, no one is there. Asking for too many call requests puts you in detention. You then have to wait until the next business day to request a call.

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Have gone into your Microsoft Store account to check if MSFS is there and needs updating. 

Yes.

45 minutes ago, Noel said:

Windows 7 on up.. It will attempt to detect the new stuff and reconfigure. In a good amount of cases you will be able to get away with it (with a whole lot of orphan registry entries and driver profiles). I absolutely hate that it tries to do this but its a quick and dirty way for people who think its time consuming to perform a full reinstall.

I personally think its asking for trouble but hey if the possibility is there people will take advantage of it.

Back on topic.  This motherboard upgrade was a same or similar chipset ? or a chipset with new features ?

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

33 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

You have always been able to just re-activate Windows and install new drivers. No need to reinstall Windows.

Yes I did just that. Provided you don’t have an OEM version of Windows (which won’t be transferable to new hardware) you should be able to run it out of the box. I also upgraded the C drive. 

Of course you will install the new mobo firmware BIOS and drivers, but I replaced everything except the graphics card, and MSFS ran on the old copy of Windows absolutely flawlessly the minute I switched it back on again.

1 minute ago, Maxis said:

Windows 7 on up.. It will attempt to detect the new stuff and reconfigure. In a good amount of cases you will be able to get away with it (with a whole lot of orphan registry entries and driver profiles). I absolutely hate that it tries to do this but its a quick and dirty way for people who think its time consuming to perform a full reinstall.

I personally think its asking for trouble but hey if the possibility is there people will take advantage of it.

My Windows install is years old, through many motherboard, cpu, hdd's and ssd's and video cards. Add on the various Win10 and now Win11 Dev versions and it works just fine. Windows has gotten a lot smarter about such things over the years.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

2 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

Yes I did just that. Provided you don’t have an OEM version of Windows (which won’t be transferable to new hardware) you should be able to run it out of the box. I also upgraded the C drive. 

Of course you will install the new mobo firmware BIOS and drivers, but I replaced everything except the graphics card, and MSFS ran on the old copy of Windows absolutely flawlessly the minute I switched it back on again.

My Win11 version still uses the Key from an OEM Win7 that came to me free for being part of the Beta test for Win7.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

My Windows install is years old, through many motherboard, cpu, hdd's and ssd's and video cards. Add on the various Win10 and now Win11 Dev versions and it works just fine. Windows has gotten a lot smarter about such things over the years.

As an IT Admin color me unconvinced. Just my professional opinion. Im not referring to CPU/HDDs and video cards... Im referring to entire chipset swaps .. IE the motherboard. That is a hit or miss.

But again ... back to topic. Waiting to see what the op upgraded from/to

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders