Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

FENIX & PMDG

This will not be popular, during a (deserved) Fenix popularity storm, but I'd recommend the PMDG first.  I find the Fenix EFB adds complexity, rather than relieving it.  For example, some sim settings are in the EFB, but it took me 30 mins to realize that the required throttle calibration process is done from the MCDU.....

Honestly, the Fenix is a much more complex product. 

Some say the performance issues with the Fenix are overstated.   Well I'll say that flight planning 'issues' with the PMDG are overstated.   If you can place a file created by Simbrief into a single folder in the PMDG directory, you have simple flight plan loading in the PMDG (if not as comprehensive as the Fenix in areas like load and mass/balance.

For me, the Fenix has more highly advanced functionality (some of which is mindbendingly good to those who want it, but arguably superflous to others) but the PMDG is more polished and accessible.  

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

5 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@roi1862 I don't have a licence for the PMDG MFS 737 so I am unable to comment. My comparisons are drawn from default aircraft but I am Vsync'd at 30 fps. The Fenix A320 is certainly more taxing, but I think some of the bigger differences people are posting between PMDG NG3 and Fenix are caused by their Fenix rendering settings (specifically not choosing CPU rendering of displays when GPU limited)

Aren't we all limited by the main thread at this point ? 

Roi Ben

Agreed, the fuss over PMDG flight plan import is a storm in a tea cup. A few extra clicks and the forums are losing their minds!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Lots of good input here.

it’s really hard making a choice, but performance needs to be acceptable.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

You're running a 10900 and 3080. You won't have a problem with either performance wise!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

To begin, i advise you Airbus. U can to import flightplan via simbrief using the EFB, performance take off/landing...it's the best for beginners!

I thought I'd advise you the 737 but if you've never flown an airliner it will be a little complicated. Also at the current stage, there's no EFB so there is no possibility to import flight plans via simbrief...

• Like 1

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

1 hour ago, JYW said:

Well I'll say that flight planning 'issues' with the PMDG are overstated.   If you can place a file created by Simbrief into a single folder in the PMDG directory, you have simple flight plan loading in the PMDG

While I agree with you, you have to keep in mind that is the crowd that after 9 World Updates still haven't memorized how the update process works, wondering why they can't see the World Update in their Content Manager.

If THAT is too complicated for some, imagine how difficult it must be for them to find a specific hidden folder to point the Simbrief Downloader to.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alaska738 said:

there's no EFB so there is no possibility to import flight plans via simbrief...

Simply untrue. You can't do it without switching tabs, but it is possible.

Edited by Farlis

1 minute ago, Farlis said:

Simply untrue.

EFB it will be added later in future updates.

t-l-chargement

Just now, Alaska738 said:

It will be added later in future updates.

You have to be more careful how you word things. Simbrief plans CAN be imported into the Flightplanner. Just not via ingame user interface like in the FBW Airbus or the Fenix Airbus yet. 

THAT is a feature that will be added when the EFB is added.

Well, since I will be getting both eventually, I could just start with the FENIX.

• Upvote 1

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Just now, Farlis said:

You have to be more careful how you word things. Simbrief plans CAN be imported into the Flightplanner. Just not via ingame user interface like in the FBW Airbus or the Fenix Airbus yet. 

THAT is a feature that will be added when the EFB is added.

That's what i was trying to say. yes, i was mainly talking about the EFB. 

• Upvote 1

t-l-chargement

3 hours ago, Farlis said:

Is NOT the most beginner friendly and has NOT an easy flightplan function. 

You have to do setup an external program, export the flightplan from simbrief into that and than load it in the FMS. That is much easier with the Fenix.

Also AIrbus has a much more user friendly approach to its operation in general. The airplane thinks way more for itself than the 737.

You know whats even easier??  The God D built in flight planner form Airbus owned NAVBLUE.

I want to earlier echo points. Despite the hype train suggesting Fenix would make PMDG 'irrelevant' I think the reality is that PMDG shipped a more polished product that is much better on FPS. My initial impression is that the Fenix A320 is groundbreaking but I'm already experiencing some minor bugs I'm surprised exist on Day 1 and the FPS is much much worse. I have a brand new high-end system so it's bearable (40-45 FPS at Heathrow on Ultra) but if it's just bearable for me I can only imagine what it must be like on some older or lower-end systems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I'd say the A320 is easier, the overhead layout is far more logical and ergonomic vs a 737 stuck in the 1960s. The A320 is a lot more automated (e.g. it turns the packs off for engine start automatically, the pressurisation controller gets your vertical profile from the FMGS, the ADIRS(IRU) gets your position from GPS to align itself) and when things go wrong it walks you through it, whereas the 737 doesn't even have a centralised warning system.

However the Fenix does suffer from a chronic lack of documentation and I'm not aware of there being any tutorials suitable for newbies yet. Not sure what documentation is like for PMDG, in the FSX days they use to give you nice walk through written tutorials, then they started deferring to the Boeing documentation for P3D that was a bit onerous, now I don't know what PMDG give you.

The PMDG 737 700 for MSFS comes with a written Basic Flight Tutorial that is found in the documentation.  This a short one-hour flight from KPDX to KSFO starting on the runway.  The tutorial was apparently adapted from one written for the PMDG 900 because it still has several references to the 900, rather than the 700. The FMC returns some errors in the flight plan, but, one of our forum friends can probably suggest the fix.

I have not seen any other traditional written flight tutorials for the 700, but, just about any similar aircraft tutorial could be adapted with the FMC setup being the difference.

Regards,

Ray

• Upvote 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .