Sign in to follow this  
Guest uncyden

Blue 2d Blocks on water at night

Guest uncyden

I am having problems with aqua-blue 2d blocks appearing over water at night .They usually appear where their is light reflection on the water and autogenerate around coastal land area moving with plane. I installed sp1 over some minor tweaks in fsx.cfg(since reversed) and autogen (reduced trees. not reversed) files. Trying to avoid re-install as current config is all good. ANY IDEAS.I have since discovered that they only appear when you manually set to "night" in Time and Season.Please check out attachment......cheers Dennis

Guest uncyden

Yes Victor I rarely fly at night and only noticed it a week or so after installing sp1. I'm convinced it's not the minor tweaks I made pre-sp1 and believe it hasn't recieved more posts because most people don't fly at night. I don't get the effect if I fly the dusk to dark transition as I mentioned. Let me know if you get anywhere.....Dennis

It's a bug that's been in the sim since RTM. I don't know exactly what causes it but it seems to be some sort of clash between coastal water and landclass, possibly the water's bump/specular maps, and the land detail textures. It seems the detail textures from land are overlapping into the water when they shouldn't be. You can get rid of it by turning off detail textures in your scenery display settings, but doing so will cause some alpha blending problems with taxiway lines and you'll lose the fine striations on grass textures etc. The bug is much more noticable with a full moon. Try it with a new moon, probably won't see it.I was hoping SP1 would fix that but I guess they didn't notice or it was too minor to bother with.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest uncyden

Haldir..Thanks for confirming that it's a known bug.I only happened to notice it because I was flying at night under a full moon.Maybe they will patch it at some time in the future...Dennis

Guest radivil

I've only noticed them in the pseudo-tropical waters off Florida myself. Lake Erie and Pamlico Sound (North Carolina) seemed fine.

I too have noticed this bug, and it was present before SP1.I am curious now...do we all have nVidia cards?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Xiderpunk

This looks very much a bug with the Shader, I have never experienced it myself but I don't suppose you have Shaders disabled on your video card?Also you wouldn't happen to be using a 7800 would you?Regards,Chris Norris

Hi,I came across this tip at http://fsx-tweaks.4t.com/texture_folder.html1. Go to your FSXTexture folder and create 2 new folders:Temp_hold_bump.dds and Temp_hold_specular.dds2. Now right click the 'Texture' folder and select 'Search'3. In the 'All or part of the file name:' field type *specular.dds4. Once the search is completed, select all the objects found (except for the 2 new folders you created) and 'Move' them to the Temp_hold_specular.dds folder.5. Try your night flight again.(6). Do the same for all the *bump.dds files and, as a bonus, you may notice an improvement in frame rates.Try it, you never know it might help.Mike

Hi, I don't have noticed the problem yet. I run FSX with a ATI Radeon 9800XT and XP. Could you give me a specific Date / Time / Location to verify this problem. Jan-Paul

Guest smithcorp

I noticed it before SP1 as well, I think flying from Ascension Island at night. FX7600GS.

>I too have noticed this bug, and it was present before SP1.>>I am curious now...do we all have nVidia cards?>>Rhett>I have. 7900GT.

Guest flyingcircus

I am getting this problem too and it has only recently started. I never had it with the original FSX, or even the SP1 version, but I suspect one of the graphics tweaks has triggered it. I also get it in daylight and not just at night.

Guest flyingcircus

This is what I am seeing in daylight - exactly the same blocks in purplepurple2.jpgpurple1.jpg