Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Fenix A320 - Engine-out weirdiness...

6 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

People have now moved from the FBW to the Fenix. That's life.

No. Many, myself included have not moved onto to Fenix. FBW is just as good as Fenix for normal ops. What does Fenix do that is so much better than FBW? Simulate failures? I don’t want to be dealing with a broken, unreliable aircraft on every flight. That’s nice for sim training but not for RW flight operations. Everyone wanting Fenix because it is more advanced or whatever, yet so many won’t even know how to find let alone use something like the Fix Info page. If work were to stop on FBW I for one would be hugely disappointed.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

16 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

And I presume it's the fact that the Fenix has taken the limelight and that very many people have switched.

Again you are assuming, just look at this map https://flybywiresim.com/map/ and you are telling me only 'some' stayed in FBW?? 😄

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

26 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

But why then the need for his tantrum?

He's expressing his opinion on the Fenix and sharing technical feedback (that you might see getting implemented on the Fenix sometime soon, who knows?), just like plenty of others have on this platform. Like it, cool. Don't like it, just move on. No one appreciates these unpleasantries.

• Like 4

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

I don't own the Fenix A320 so I can't help with the engine out behaviour. I am committed long term to the FBW A320N. I just enjoy being part of the community and seeing new features and improvements being added daily and weekly. Plus I don't have any money. 😁

Edited by gb09f
  • Like 4

Once the FBW has it's VNAV sorted out, I'll be flying both the FBW and the Fenix, depending on the real life used aircraft (I fly real life schedules from the actual day). I must say however what I read on the FBW discord, there are many people who will not return to the FBW now that they got the Fenix, and also some developers (like AGuther). Unfortunately this might mean the end of the FBW development streak, but I am a pessimist so there's that. From my side anyway only the best for the FBW team!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Again you are assuming, just look at this map https://flybywiresim.com/map/ and you are telling me only 'some' stayed in FBW?? 😄

Well to be fair I have no idea. I'm just guessing. But I felt that him coming here to rant about the Fenix and slag it off was out of order. The FBW is freeware so what's not to like? But the VNAV and LNAV still has a long way to go to make it usable for me compared to the Fenix. And that's not a criticism it's just my personal opinion. 

Edited by jarmstro

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

But the VNAV and LNAV still has a long way to go to make it usable for me compared to the Fenix. And that's not a criticism it's just my personal opinion. 

One is based on an existing software and the other one is from scratch for free

Just now, omarsmak30 said:

One is based on an existing software and the other one is from scratch for free

I thought the FBW was based on the ASOBO effort?

Though Andreas isn't an active developer at FBW anymore, he still has the same level of respect from everyone for the work he has put in, not just for the team but for the entire community. Even now, he wouldn't think twice before helping another development team out to make a product better for the community, and that's exactly what his intentions seem to be here. 

We really do not deserve his efforts if we are going to throw **** at him for sharing perfectly valid feedback that is going to make a product that you worship even better, do we?

Edited by sidnov
Oops, language!
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, WestAir said:

It's no exaggeration that you and the team single-handedly kept the majority of MSFS Airliner folk from going back to their previous sims. The FBW A32NX certainly kept MSFS installed on my PC. So thanks.

Same here. I haven’t touched the default a320 since the fist version of FBW came out and I‘m sure the vast majority of airline simmers have done the same. FBW is for MSFS what the Zibo is for XP, kind of. It’s an invaluable contribution to this sim and to this hobby in general. And I‘m sure many people will continue to use it. Not everybody wants (or can afford) to buy a payware aircraft. What the FBW team has achieved is outstanding and cannot be lauded enough. 

• Like 4

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Only the 3D model. Pretty much all the code was replaced by FBW and WT code from scratch 

7 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

there are many people who will not return to the FBW now that they got the Fenix, and also some developers (like AGuther)

Before this comment is taken out of context, just making it clear without any intentions of hijacking this thread.

Andreas had personal reasons due to which he needed to take a step back from active development, and he did not leave the team because of Fenix or any other reasons.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

But the VNAV and LNAV still has a long way to go to make it usable for me compared to the Fenix. And that's not a criticism it's just my personal opinion. 

Hey, I've developed much of the LNAV on the A32NX.

Here are a few comparison screenshots we've done, compared to none else than the real life counterpart of our FMS:

ad-fms-comparison-2.png

Frame_702.png

While yes, not all path types are implemented (namely procedure terms and correct behaviour of CX/VX legs), I'd like to get your feedback if possible as I think the current path generation is quite accurate. Feel free to reach out on Discord or make a thread on this forum with your opinion on the matter. I really want this to work well for everyone.

11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

No, our entire systems simulation is written from scratch, including LNAV and VNAV. There is very little asobo code remaining that actually does anything of importance.

edit: by the way, I do not mean to hijack this thread. so if this is off topic my apologies!

Edited by holland786
  • Like 14

Just now, omarsmak30 said:

Only the 3D model. Pretty much all the code was replaced by FBW and WT code from scratch 

Yes I realise that. Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed the FBW. But I also enjoy the Fenix. So when some one with an axe to grind flares up I see through it. 😀

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Well,

in the jumpseat flights I did in A320s I saw them filling up that info manually ( AIr Portugal  and old Air Luxor ), pretty much like in this video:

A320 - Filling up MCDU basics - YouTube

I'm not saying you can't enter it by hand, just that it's not the norm in the industry and therefore it certainly isn't unrealistic to have this data auto-populate in a sim aircraft.  

• Like 1

Andrew Crowley