Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

To move or re-install?

23 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

1) Move the community and official folders to another folder (preferable on the same SSD, that'll be quicker). 

2) Delete MSFS from either Steam menu or Microsoft store. 

3) Move the community and official folders back to where you want the sim installed (I've got it set for D:\MSFS).

4) Reinstall MSFS. Important: Choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders. Installing the sim from should only be ~1Gb.

5) When starting the sim for the first time, it might ask for a folder to install some updates. Choose the folder that you installed the sim to. It will do some syncing during first load, but once you reach the main menu, everything should be there. 

Graphics settings might have to be adjusted, like choosing full screen etc, but all the controller settings is linked to your Xbox account. 

Perfect Thank You,

I am hoping it will be relatively easy as both the Official & Community folders will remain on the same NVME drive that will get moved to the new mother board 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

2 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Perfect Thank You,

I am hoping it will be relatively easy as both the Official & Community folders will remain on the same NVME drive that will get moved to the new mother board 

If you're using Addons linker keep in mind that the settings (presets etc) are stored here: C:\ProgramData\MSFS Addons Linker

I forgot that when doing a recent reinstall and had to set everything up from scratch. 

• Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

If you're using Addons linker keep in mind that the settings (presets etc) are stored here: C:\ProgramData\MSFS Addons Linker

I forgot that when doing a recent reinstall and had to set everything up from scratch. 

Yes I am !

Thank you, that will definitely save some time 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I am about to do the same with my living room/secondary PC, not sure If I will just do a full install or the move folder route. Will the Steam version keep my controller settings? or are they stored somewhere and I need to copy them over from my main rig?

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Your controller settings are in the cloud. I know this because I once had to wipe my entire main computer drive and reinstall windows on that blank drive. But after reinstalling MSFS all my old custom controller settings were just as before. Because Steam had them saved in the cloud associated with my Steam account . 

But in case you want to backup the controller settings they are at this path (the folders with numbers for names can vary):

C:\Steam\userdata\94959374\1250410\remote

Files inside that folder have names such as : inputprofile_0102968584

Those files can be examined using Notepad.

(Even if you delete a profile in MSFS Options Profile Manager, or delete a profile file in Windows File manager, it will reappear in that same folder when MSFS is booted up again. Steam restores them automatically from the cloud). No profile ever goes away permanently, despite what it looks like currently in MSFS options screen. So you probably have many profiles built up in that folder.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

1) Move the community and official folders to another folder (preferable on the same SSD, that'll be quicker). 

3) Move the community and official folders back to where you want the sim installed (I've got it set for D:\MSFS).

4) Reinstall MSFS. Important: Choose the folder where you've got the community and official folders. Installing the sim from should only be ~1Gb.

5) When starting the sim for the first time, it might ask for a folder to install some updates. Choose the folder that you installed the sim to. It will do some syncing during first load, but once you reach the main menu, everything should be there. 

Graphics settings might have to be adjusted, like choosing full screen etc, but all the controller settings is linked to your Xbox account. 

Just wanted to say that this procedure worked flawlessly, I was up and running in no time. I also followed your advice regarding add on linker and that worked as well.

Thank you for the advice, my new rig is up and running and I’m loving it 

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Just wanted to say that this procedure worked flawlessly, I was up and running in no time. I also followed your advice regarding add on linker and that worked as well.

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Excellent! 👌

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I ended up moving the Community and Official folders to the new SSD.  I then created an empty Community folder and renamed my old one to keep it on a "holding pattern" sort of speak.  I then went to MS Store logged in to start MSFS.  Said it had to adjust/fix a few things so I let it do its thing.  Also,  I told it to update everything... about 90GB of stuff... guess I was behind on a few world updates.  No biggie.  And it stated up without a hitch when it was done.

Need to re-connect my hardware.  I use spadNext for the hardware and use Addons Linker for the software.  Today will be my first flight on the new rig.  Dang... temps at 24c at 5Ghz!  Now I gotta see how it handles under MSFS load.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

44 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Dang... temps at 24c at 5Ghz!

You must have decent cooling 🙂