Sign in to follow this  
fscabral

American Airlines 737 getting dirty

Hello all,

After making a BBj´s shiny texture ... 😇  ...i couldn´t hold my needs of putting more oil and dirty into something!

So flaps and wings are the main topic now, but the fuselage will also get some of those "not so shinny" details 😆

Here you have the my fictitious American Airlines N850NN in the 737-700´s skin getting used and abused! 😂😂 

52155654311_208f6084a6_k.jpg

52154640602_fb8b13ce87_k.jpg

52155654546_4cdfebe32c_k.jpg

52156145510_08e17d127b_k.jpg

52154640832_e3451808bf_k.jpg

52155894134_515197faa6_k.jpg

52155660293_1fb2f6b5f7_k.jpg

52156145755_c3690552cb_k.jpg

Edited by fscabral
add prefix
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

That's still actually quite clean compared to most airliners unless they are brand new or have just been repainted. Airliners create the impression of being in super-good nick and being clean because most of us never see them really close up, but the truth is when you get up right next to them when working on them, they're mostly pretty battered and invariably filthy, most of them have plenty of little dents on them with a tiny round white sticker next to it with a number on it which logs the damage and when it occurred. The leading edges of the horizontal stabilisers are nearly always peppered with dents, half the time the fan blades and the spinner on one engine don't match those on the other engine, there are a ton of dead bug splats on the radome, the wheels are always absolutely filthy as is the underside, especially near the APU vents and there is a ton of gloopy residue from de-icing fluid on the undersides of the flap canoes, sometimes the paint lines don't match up on the cowlings or radome if they've had a panel replaced from another aeroplane.

The first time I saw an airliner close up, I was really shocked at how battered it was. I had thought they'd all be pristine.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Nice pics and great work to setting her up dirty, like it !

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Nice work!  Now fly that thing to Tulsa and get it cleaned up! 😏

Seriously, nice job on the weathering!  

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Beautiful as usual my friend.....

My latest is pretty clean....but in reality she is not even in service yet (2024)

pmdg-737-700bdsf-german-marine-p-8a-63-0

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 hours ago, Chock said:

That's still actually quite clean compared to most airliners unless they are brand new or have just been repainted. Airliners create the impression of being in super-good nick and being clean because most of us never see them really close up, but the truth is when you get up right next to them when working on them, they're mostly pretty battered and invariably filthy, most of them have plenty of little dents on them with a tiny round white sticker next to it with a number on it which logs the damage and when it occurred. The leading edges of the horizontal stabilisers are nearly always peppered with dents, half the time the fan blades and the spinner on one engine don't match those on the other engine, there are a ton of dead bug splats on the radome, the wheels are always absolutely filthy as is the underside, especially near the APU vents and there is a ton of gloopy residue from de-icing fluid on the undersides of the flap canoes, sometimes the paint lines don't match up on the cowlings or radome if they've had a panel replaced from another aeroplane.

The first time I saw an airliner close up, I was really shocked at how battered it was. I had thought they'd all be pristine.

I will try my best to get more dirty into it! It will need more fuel for take off...it will get heavy! hehehe. This first images i reduce a bit the layers to give a best overall impression, but it will be dirty!

As i said, next steps will be fuselage and i will try to follow what you just said 😉  

3 hours ago, rmeier said:

Very nice work on the repaint!!!

Thank you rmeyer 🙂

3 hours ago, pmplayer said:

Nice pics and great work to setting her up dirty, like it !

cheers 😉

Thank you pmplayer ...hope you wont get your self dirty with her 😂

2 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Nice work!  Now fly that thing to Tulsa and get it cleaned up! 😏

Seriously, nice job on the weathering!  

Rich Boll

Thank you richjb2 ! ....water is too volatile to waste on her..😂😂 but who knows...maybe one day she can get into a nice shower...one day....hehehe

39 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Beautiful as usual my friend.....

My latest is pretty clean....but in reality she is not even in service yet (2024)

Thank you Steve!  Yes, i saw your beautiful and clean paint there, i am downloading right now to fly over Bavaria on the next days 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

iiiiii think i still have some more space to upload images in this post (please let me know if i am being an outlaw so...hehehe)

Those are my latest images, got the layers in 100% opacity and have some more bits into it too.

52155245062_1ba2051bc3_k.jpg

52156752880_3b1bad389c_k.jpg

52156496729_9c9541b4b3_k.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fscabral said:

iiiiii think i still have some more space to upload images in this post (please let me know if i am being an outlaw so...hehehe)

Those are my latest images, got the layers in 100% opacity and have some more bits into it too.

Absolutely stunning!

You have 20 pics total you can upload...so you have a few still.

I know she's still a work-in-progress, so my only suggestion (if you have not already addressed it) is to remove (or alter) one of the duplicate dirt streaks (the large ones over the outside on the alerions) on either side of the wing....its size makes it stand out as copy of the other wing's dirt and easy to see on the front and rear views.

The other dirt is fine duplicated as it does not really stand out as much...but a slight alteration on either side would make it perfect 🙂 

You're making me want to steal your dirt layers, hehe!

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

8 hours ago, Alaska738 said:

Very nice shots...i like it! 🙂 

Thank you Alaska738 🙂

7 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Absolutely stunning!

You have 20 pics total you can upload...so you have a few still.

I know she's still a work-in-progress, so my only suggestion (if you have not already addressed it) is to remove (or alter) one of the duplicate dirt streaks (the large ones over the outside on the alerions) on either side of the wing....its size makes it stand out as copy of the other wing's dirt and easy to see on the front and rear views.

The other dirt is fine duplicated as it does not really stand out as much...but a slight alteration on either side would make it perfect 🙂 

You're making me want to steal your dirt layers, hehe!

No worries Steve, i will for sure use different textures for each wing 😉 . For the moment im just playing and adding layers to Photoshop, so later i can slight play with each to create the differences when i have a solid base 🙂 . And yes, fell free to ask for any layers 😉   ...i do sometimes release a kind of paintkits, but takes ages for me to deal and cleanup all the layers i have to fulfill the taste and needs of everybody ..hahaha 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fscabral said:

Thank you Alaska738 🙂

No worries Steve, i will for sure use different textures for each wing 😉 . For the moment im just playing and adding layers to Photoshop, so later i can slight play with each to create the differences when i have a solid base 🙂 . And yes, fell free to ask for any layers 😉   ...i do sometimes release a kind of paintkits, but takes ages for me to deal and cleanup all the layers i have to fulfill the taste and needs of everybody ..hahaha 

Hehe I know what you mean about the layer clean-up. 🙂    We tend to get lazy (at least I do), and sometimes we don't name a layer, mark it with a color, put it in a layer group etc when concentrating on making the paint look just right.  Then near the end of the paint...we look over to the right at our layer stack and say "Oh my...this thing is a mess!" 🤣 

Then if we're motivated, we'll clean it up...most of the time by turning them off and on to see what they are....LOL

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

@fscabral,

Is this work for download at any time ??

Would be fine Sir.. 😎

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Beautiful... (though dirty...🙂...) upgrade work on the 737....fscabral...!

Like the bottom-up view of the fuselage (shot #1) ...but all the grime and stains on the extended flaps...are so well-done... (surely these workhorses actually look like this, unless repainted as Chock says...)