Sign in to follow this  
CF104

Tragedy at Hillsboro Oregon Airshow

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ya sure is, was such a nice Hunter, looked very good in blue. My condoleances to the family of the pilot :(

The quote that it was doing a loop is complete BS. The aircraft wasn't producing full power and was unable to climb, the pilot tried to make it around the pattern at a very low altitude but when the engine quit he tried to put it into a field, he stalled and the left wing dropped spinning him into the house he hit. Very tragic for the family and all those effected. It was a coincidence that his departure was during the airshow, he was not flying an airshow act.

Very sad, my heart goes out to all involved especially the family of the pilot. :(

a true aviator and hero if you ask me, he tried to do the right thing, and avoid population with safety in his mind,he could have quite easily said "sod this" and just ejected, but he chose the other option of trying to avoid the aircraft hitting anything or anyone else.if that isn't self sacrifice, then I don't know what is.my thoughts are entirely with his family at this terrible time.what a human being.

I am grieved by the loss of another pilot and historic aircraft. I am also sadened in the conjecture that follows such an accident that is said with such certainty. Unless you were in the cockpit with the ill fated pilot, making comments that he did his best to avoid populations and also that he did not try to eject is as bad as the reporting that he was doing a loop as part of his routine. Has anyone ever heard of ejection seats malfunctioning? I have and this could have been the case but I won't go on a soap box and state it as fact. There will be a NTSB investigation here so lets wait until the experts dig through the evidence and the truth comes out. It's the only way we can give our respect to the pilot, his family and those that lost their homes.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

Steve,I'm told that the luxury of an 'ejection seat' is denied as soon as the aircraft leaves the service of the military, sadly they remove them.Either way he was doomed, its not like climbing out of a spitfire etc, hard as that would be anyway.My sympaties go out to his family and freinds too.

The luxury of an ejection seat costs a lot of money. It's probably the next highest maintenance cost after the engine. That's why a lot of jet warbirds have them deactivated but do not remove them. If you can find a vendor that will maintain and certify the E-Seat to the manufacturers specs then it's perfectly OK to have an armed E-Seat in a civilian aircraft.I believe the Hunter that crashed had an armed E-Seat.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg