Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Wasn't broke, but I tried to fix it anyway! NVidia Driver..

6 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Luv the title of post Noel 🙂 

And I'm about to do it again by upgrading to Win 11 🙃 I'm a glutton for punishment 😳.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

And I'm about to do it again by upgrading to Win 11 🙃 I'm a glutton for punishment 😳.

Good luck 🙂 you know what else needs an upgrade is the nvidia control panel - its archaic 🙂 

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 1

Rich Sennett

I think that most of us are inveterate "fiddlers". With our sims especially. Tweaking and twisting, trying to see if this works or that. Good luck.

18 minutes ago, AOB said:

I think that most of us are inveterate "fiddlers". With our sims especially. Tweaking and twisting, trying to see if this works or that. Good luck.

But you go from good to bad more often than not!

I always use DDU and then NVCleanstall with recommended settings and the USB-C driver as my card is equipped with it, I hate bloatware.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Still running drivers from 2 years ago for my 3060TI.  All is well.  Should I update - NOT!

I'm still running Windows 1909, which required some trickery to keep it that way. Newer is not always better. I also froze my Oculus software to a pre-Facebook requirement version, though IIRC that requirement is being reconsidered. Ironically it was a mandatory update that killed MSFS for me a year+ ago and kept me from flying until more recent updates fixed what that previous update broke.

I'm definitely a "If it's not broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, except when I first get a product - I spent days fine-tuning (which usually means removing crapware and disabling unneeded services) of my operating system when I first got my gaming laptop. Though a new laptop full of crapware and enabled spyware telemetry is "broken" IMO, so I'm not breaking my rule by "fixing" these things 😉 Now it's perfect (at least for me), so I do my best to keep it that way.

Edited by Keto Ketchup
mistakes

Basically after all these pages of discussion, it confirms it as a non-issue either way.  
I updated to W11 as I like to try the latest things, although I do always have a quick scan of the internet first, to make sure it won't be a complete disaster!  :smile:

So, at this stage, and regarding MSFS, whether you update to W11 (painless), or stick with W10, it makes absolutely no difference in terms of performance or stability.
The main problem will come when MS don't support W10 any more - some way off.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

26 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

The main problem will come when MS don't support W10 any more - some way off.

The other problem is that if you don't do it relatively soon, perhaps by Oct 5, 2022, you may have to pay for a copy of Win 11.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

48 minutes ago, Noel said:

The other problem is that if you don't do it relatively soon, perhaps by Oct 5, 2022, you may have to pay for a copy of Win 11.

True!  Also, sorry Noel, I just noticed I am in the wrong thread!   I could have sworn I was in the thread about upgrading to W11.  :laugh: 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

37 minutes ago, Noel said:

Is Windows 10 a minimum requirement to run MSFS? In other words, is anyone currently running it on Windows 7 or 8?

I find it weird that Microsoft, which is known for its support of backwards compatibility, would force people to upgrade Windows in order to continue to run a piece of software that was originally released for an older version. If Windows 11 becomes mandatory to run MSFS, that'll be my cue to switch to XP12.

Thankfully Windows 10 will be supported until at least 2025. I also would not be surprised if the modding community finds ways to trick MSFS to think it's running on Win 11 when it's still on Win 10, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.