Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Light pollution is broken in SU10(Beta)

Change the title to Beta, so some will not get confused.

I'm surprised anyone enjoys flying at night with the distant muddy blobs supposed to represent cities.  Excellent lighting close to the A/C, and then a line, and then sepia blobs.  It's very strange how it's accepted when daytime flying is so visually rewarding. 

• Like 2

Voted.  It has no charm now at all. 

Apart from the sepia masks, the city and road night lighting was spectacular at launch. 

The city lights were varied and warm and it looked very realistic - one of the best parts of the sim for me.  
It has never achieved that look since unfortunately.

The light pollution, especially showing on the underside of clouds, was one of the best things for me to do with the night lighting. 
Hopefully it is something simple that can be put back easily. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

57 minutes ago, Langeveldt said:

I'm surprised anyone enjoys flying at night with the distant muddy blobs supposed to represent cities.  Excellent lighting close to the A/C, and then a line, and then sepia blobs.  It's very strange how it's accepted when daytime flying is so visually rewarding. 

I really hope we will get some dynamic LOD or improvements to CPU at high LOD's. I do too hate these Sepia effects so close to the aircraft. Put LOD to 400 and see how its all gone up to the horizon even at FL300

Roi Ben

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Voted.  It has no charm now at all. 

Apart from the sepia masks, the city and road night lighting was spectacular at launch. 

The city lights were varied and warm and it looked very realistic - one of the best parts of the sim for me.  
It has never achieved that look since unfortunately.

The light pollution, especially showing on the underside of clouds, was one of the best things for me to do with the night lighting. 
Hopefully it is something simple that can be put back easily. 

I agree, the lights earlier on were heading in the right direction, now looks pretty much like p3d. All they had to do in the beginning was remove the sepia mask, that would've done it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I agree, the lights earlier on were heading in the right direction, now looks pretty much like p3d. All they had to do in the beginning was remove the sepia mask, that would've done it.

Looks pretty much like P3D ? What ?? Night lighting is vastly superior in MSFS - it's one of the biggest environment improvements in the sim.

I'll post this - admittedly, both render scaling and terrain LOD are at maximum, but see how far into the distance the lighting can be seen. Even at half these settings, P3D never comes close.

TeGWK0f.jpg

• Like 4

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

22 minutes ago, Paul K said:

I'll post this - admittedly, both render scaling and terrain LOD are at maximum, but see how far into the distance the lighting can be seen. Even at half these settings, P3D never comes close.

And your FPS is like... ? 5 ? at this low alt even LOD 100 will be ok. Also its not really 'night' right... ?

Roi Ben

47 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

And your FPS is like... ? 5 ? at this low alt even LOD 100 will be ok. Also its not really 'night' right... ?

This is the original - I had cropped out the Steam overlay FPS counter in the top left corner, as I am documenting a flight to Australia on another message board. It shows an FPS of 43.  No, Terrain LOD at 100 would not have been as good - you would not see lights on the horizon, upper right. It is dusk - both building detail and night lighting is rendered.

WIjHd7V.jpg

Edited by Paul K

8 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Yeah night time in the sim is lacking big time imo. 

Not to mention taxi lights at default airports are absolutely terrible. You cannot tell where you are supposed to go unless you have taxi lines on in the settings. 

Tyson Rose

2 hours ago, Paul K said:

This is the original - I had cropped out the Steam overlay FPS counter in the top left corner, as I am documenting a flight to Australia on another message board. It shows an FPS of 43.  No, Terrain LOD at 100 would not have been as good - you would not see lights on the horizon, upper right. It is dusk - both building detail and night lighting is rendered.

WIjHd7V.jpg

On what hardware? I have a i7 10900k and a 3080 and LOD of 150 is pushing it... I usually keep it at 125. I know I need to update my CPU, which I plan on this year but flying around with LOD maxed out? What is your system specs? 

Tyson Rose

23 minutes ago, snwboardn said:

On what hardware? I have a i7 10900k and a 3080 and LOD of 150 is pushing it... I usually keep it at 125. I know I need to update my CPU, which I plan on this year but flying around with LOD maxed out? What is your system specs? 

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.70 GHz, RTX 3080ti, 32Gb RAM, 1440p Dell monitor

Edited by Paul K
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, snwboardn said:

I know I need to update my CPU

Upgrade your CPU ? 10900K ? Why ? 

• Like 2

Roi Ben