Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

Crash on take off of this pilot or now ... ex pilot?

The crash occurred at Lampasas Airport (KLZZ), Texas at a Cessna 180.

The pilot reported that on landing he had encountered a strong crosswind but instead of hanging up he preferred to land for then decide to take off as shown in the video forgetting that the trees on the side of the runway where...  he landed, were a barrier against the wind and the crash was inevitable.

If that doesn't warrant a revoke of license, I don't know what will.

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

...and there are bold pilots!

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

He took off from the taxiway, not a runway. Looks as if he didn't even take time for an engine run-up or mag check.

Edited by wwdavis

Believe it or not, it is actually possible in MSFS with a bit of a headwind, not much fuel, two stages of flaps, standing on the brakes to let the prop spin up to full throttle and then rocking it into the air to unstick it whilst ignoring the stall warning horn. Wouldn't want to try it in real life though...

YKArUVd.png

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Maybe the FAA should reconsider an age limit for a class 3 medical. The guy said he had the aircraft since 1984. That suggest he is much older than I am and that's not young.

We all know that older automobile drivers get sketchy in their ability to judge situations and perform basic driving tasks (not to mention which peddle does what.) By extension, operating an aircraft only multiplies these factors.

Sometimes, you have to take the keys away from the oldsters to keep them from causing mayhem.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Mabye this pilot was watching this on MSFS 2020 prior to his attempt ?

Edited by wwdavis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichieFly said:

We all know that older automobile drivers get sketchy in their ability to judge situations and perform basic driving tasks (not to mention which peddle does what.)

Yup, some of these people are so bad, they don't even know how to spell pedal🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Got me!

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

That was an incredibly poor decision by the pilot and his license should be revoked.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

It wasn't the pilot's fault!
I think even today this perhaps ... ex pilot, is wondering who did the runway at KLZZ so ... very short but ... very wide!😁

The biggest problem with this incident is that for any take off, if you have any sense, you brief for 'eventualities', i.e. just before you set off, you ask yourself 'what will I do if this happens...'. If the answer to that query is: 'I will crash into the trees', then you know it's not a safe thing to try.

If there had been a considerable and steady crosswind (say perhaps a good solid 25 knots, right on the nose), it would potentially have been a feasible, if not exactly advisable, means to take off providing the load was light. But since even in circumstances such as those the wind could drop, back, or veer at any given moment, leaving no room for error whatsoever, and potentially making things even harder, it remains a really stupid thing to have tried. The pilot's only really got himself to blame for this one.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

2 hours ago, Chock said:

The biggest problem with this incident is that for any take off, if you have any sense, you brief for 'eventualities', i.e. just before you set off, you ask yourself 'what will I do if this happens...'. If the answer to that query is: 'I will crash into the trees', then you know it's not a safe thing to try.

If there had been a considerable and steady crosswind (say perhaps a good solid 25 knots, right on the nose), it would potentially have been a feasible, if not exactly advisable, means to take off providing the load was light. But since even in circumstances such as those the wind could drop, back, or veer at any given moment, leaving no room for error whatsoever, and potentially making things even harder, it remains a really stupid thing to have tried. The pilot's only really got himself to blame for this one.

From the preliminary report the wind was: Gusts, Direction: 12 knots / 25 knots, 300 °.

If the runway at KLZZ is 16/34 it is to be assumed that the taxyway and runway crossing is 07/25 and therefore if the wind came from 300° it had to have a crosswind of 50° and not a headwind.

It was better, before taking off, if she got off the Cessna and with a ... raised arm and a finger of her hand she could feel that the wind was not coming from the front!

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/search?q=Cessna+180%2C+N4738B