Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Status of 100% offline play in FS2020?

Early reports were that no matter what you had to be online to START the game, but once started, offline play could commence.

Is this still true or can you be completely offline from the very beginning i.e. from powering on of the PC?

2 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Early reports were that no matter what you had to be online to START the game, but once started, offline play could commence.

Is this still true or can you be completely offline from the very beginning i.e. from powering on of the PC?

To be honest I wouldn't bother anyway, it looks hideous 100% offline. That's why I still have p3d installed!..

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

>To be honest I wouldn't bother anyway, it looks hideous 100% offline. That's why I still have p3d installed!..

^^^ Unless something has drastically change, this is BS. Reviews show the game looks great Offline.

So not a sole in here is willing to try it? Please unplug the network cable, boot up the PC and see what happens when you try to do a flight in FS2020?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VeryBumpy said:

So not a sole in here is willing to try it? Please unplug the network cable, boot up the PC and see what happens when you try to do a flight in FS2020?

You cant. You need an internet connation to get pass the authentication check. You will get some weird error message "insert CD..."   After that part, yes, you can switch to offline mode and don't need a connection. 

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

Since I changed 'online functionality' to off, there have not been any CTD's.

But then the scnery is like in the old days. 😀

No need to remove the netcable, I use the net for other things while I sim.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

You cant. You need an internet connection to get pass the authentication check. You will get some weird error message "insert CD..."   After that part, yes, you can switch to offline mode and don't need a connection. 

Thank you for the information!!

And this fact will prevent me from buying this product until full offline is functional like most Steam games.

2 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

And this fact will prevent me from buying this product until full offline is functional like most Steam games.

Thats unfortunate.. 

But on the bright side I'm sure one of the other platforms will fulfill your offline requirement.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

The reason is I fly on my laptop alot in my cabin up north. There is zero internet at this woods cabin, but there is power and water.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

The reason is I fly on my laptop alot in my cabin up north. There is zero internet at this woods cabin, but there is power and water.

I see... if you could only get like some initial 4G connection to at least let it go past the initial check.... Maybe even check about that fancy Starlink everyone seems to talk about.  

Roi Ben

I am glad that this has been raised.

Unfortunately in my case, I had uninstalled P3D and XP11 in anticipation of the XP12 and have suffered like many over yesterday and today with numerous CTD's making MSFS a precarious choice at this present time.

I sort of put in the back of my mind the possibility of server issues at MS could render a sim unplayable with no redundancy.

That will teach me to put my all my eggs in one basket 🤣

• Like 1

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

57 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

Trust me, you are not alone in this way of thinking.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steve_Ellis said:

I am glad that this has been raised.

Unfortunately in my case, I had uninstalled P3D and XP11 in anticipation of the XP12 and have suffered like many over yesterday and today with numerous CTD's making MSFS a precarious choice at this present time.

I sort of put in the back of my mind the possibility of server issues at MS could render a sim unplayable with no redundancy.

That will teach me to put my all my eggs in one basket 🤣

Precisely!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

^^^ Unless something has drastically change, this is BS. Reviews show the game looks great Offline.

No it's not, but clearly you know better - which must be why you asked the question??

Hideous might be overstating it, but from a texture perspective p3d is far better - in terms of the aircraft itself and overall smoothness then MSFS would win. Without online data the ground textures are VERY low resolution, unless the area is already cached in which case it looks like it would with online data. No time to upload a video, but here's a couple of screenshots - heading west from EGPH, EGPH and the immediate area was fine because it was cached - once you get 20 miles away:

spacer.png

Turn the data back on and:

spacer.png

Most of the trees and the buildings are still there without online data, but appearance is odd as they are in a higher resolution than the ground. Best examples are the area's around the aircraft - once you get further away it is less noticable...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron