Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Maybe I was wrong to sneer at electric vehicles.

8 hours ago, jymp said:

Folks that work for power companies that say it's all political feel good BS, the US power grid is nowhere near ready for such, updating the power grid is what's needed on a massive scale. If politicians are talking, they're lying.

I don’t know anything about the US power grid, but if it’s anything like what we have here in BC, Canada, power utilities have been planning for increasing EV adoption numbers for some time. BC Hydro is the electricity utility in BC, and according to this webpage, planning for EVs has already started (see “Myth No. 7”).

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I'm not sneer electric cars, but ah those "smart" cars...

One of my instructor, and NTSB go-team member, says "If my airplane is smarter than me, it'll kill me"  and I believe it also applies to cars.

My dream car would be something like a 2CV, 9hp ICE or electric are both fine...

18 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

How exactly will the grid in California gear-up for tens of thousands of electric cars on the road in about 10 years?  And what will  they be using to power-up their plants?  

I know nothing about California but... 

California is on the fast track to build out charging infrastructure, with policies, investments and regulatory streamlining, to ensure everyone can charge when and where they need to charge.

There are so many myths about EV's still propagated 

https://www.electricforall.org/ev-myths/

18 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yeah, that's not true. The model S is the best selling luxury car in North America. "Nobody can afford one" is obviously wrong.

Oh boy.  I do admire your ability to put the best possible light on issues you support.  Unfortunately, you can put lipstick on a pig but it still won't be pretty.

Number of Tesla Model S sold in the USA in 2020: 17,500, in 2021:11,500

Number of registered automobiles in the USA: 289 million - you do the math on how what percentage are Tesla Model S

Tesla Model S cost: $95,000 - oh sure, they are so affordable.

Are we even living on the same planet?

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

13 hours ago, sightseer said:

Here in The US , corruption is rampant and yet people still believe what they are told by those who make money from the status quo.

Corruption is rampant all over the world.

"Most people believe what they are told by those who make money from the status quo"  OK.  What about the people who stand to make billions from renewable energy and EVs?  Are they angels?

Dave

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

2 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Oh boy.  I do admire your ability to put the best possible light on issues you support.  Unfortunately, you can put lipstick on a pig but it still won't be pretty.

Number of Tesla Model S sold in the USA in 2020: 17,500, in 2021:11,500

Number of registered automobiles in the USA: 289 million - you do the math on how what percentage are Tesla Model S

Are we even living on the same planet?

Dave

Rude again. Didn't take long did it. 😒 

Tesla is now considered the sole market leader in the premium/luxury segment with 113,882 registrations (up 59% year-over-year). It means that Tesla alone holds 21.8% of the segment and other brands are also selling more and more all-electric or plug-in hybrids.

https://insideevs.com/news/587586/us-tesla-luxury-brands-registrations-2022q1/#:~:text=According to Experian's report (via,electric or plug-in hybrids.

Registrations* in the US - Q1 2022:

• Tesla: 113,882 (up 59%) and 21.8% share
  • BMW: 80,482 (down 3%)
  • Lexus: 66,907 (down 17%)
  • Mercedes-Benz: 60,632 (down 21%)
  • Audi: 37,566 (down 37%)
  • Cadillac: 29,840 (down %)
  • Acura: 29,260 (down 26%)
  • Volvo: 23,513 (down 20%)
  • Lincoln: 19,977 (down 29%)
  • Land Rover: 15,581 (down 39%)
  • Porsche: 13,262 (down 24%)
  • Genesis: 12,549 (up 53%)
  • Infiniti: 11,740 (down 43%)
  • Alfa Romeo: 3,542 (down 32%)
  • Jaguar: 2,610 (down 36%)
  • Total: 521,343 (down 12%)
    * registrations data and estimates

I didn't say anything about a Tesla being affordable or not affordable. 🙄

What's the definition of NOBODY?

You are misrepresenting. Sightseer said "nobody could afford an EV". He deliberately posted an oxymoronic reply. See his reply to me.

He wasn't referring to Tesla alone, nor was I. I was referring to EV's in general so was he.

Me mentioning Tesla was as a counter to Sightseer saying that "nobody" could afford one.  I didn't realise he was deliberately posting an oxymoronic reply. Obviously many can afford one. They are a regular sight. A Tesla might not be affordable for you but they are for numerous others, including quite a few on this forum. 

In fact cars costing over 100,000 have tripled in the US. So yes, absolutely, obviously "NOBODY" can afford one is wrong.

As for EV's in general, the cheapest is a VW at $24,000. And there are countless buyers who can afford $24,000. 

Are we living on the same planet.

No, because you don't read all replies, in context. You are too quick to jump to conclusions.

To help you out, he said...

"I'm sorry, Martin.  I know that's not true.  I was just putting two arguments against EV's that I've heard and put them side by side figuring it would make some people stop and think what a couple of oxymoronic comments those are. "No one can afford them"  and yet "so many will buy them that the grid will collapse"."

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Scotland police abandon EVs as they ran out of puff at the wrong moment. And the UK and the EU draw up plans to ration the power grid to keep supply's going next winter. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just now, G-RFRY said:

Scotland police abandon EVs as they ran out of puff at the wrong moment. And the UK and the EU draw up plans to ration the power grid to keep supply's going next winter. 

I think you are getting that wrong. They had EV's but the authorities failed to provide sufficient charging points. 

We won't be inundated with EV's to the extent of straining the grid by next winter. In fact it wont happen at all. See previous link from National Grid.

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

California is on the fast track to build out charging infrastructure, with policies, investments and regulatory streamlining, to ensure everyone can charge when and where they need to charge.

Yeah, just like they were on the fast track to build their high speed rail from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Billions of dollars over budget and years late, they *might* make it halfway.

But, please, go right on repeating the rainbow and lollipops narrative about EVs and green energy.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Coal power plant closure ‘postponed to ward off winter blackouts’ (msn.com)

Wind farms may have to shut down if winds get stronger this winter.

Wind turbine toppled by too much wind (msn.com)

And in Yorkshire the fire brigade had to tell residents to  close all windows and doors last due a wind turbine bursting into flames and cause toxic fumes last month

And 100% Renewable energy is the same price as it`s set by the market not the suppler.

As long as someone is making big profits the industry is HAPPY.      

Germany orders shutdown of digital ads to save gas • The Register

Street lighting will be next.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It appears to me that the number of EVs that have solar panels built into them is increasing.  These vehicles take advantage of the fact that most people only drive a limited distance each day.  The vehicle in the video Martin posted earlier (like the Aptera and others) can go long periods without charging from the grid for most people because they recharge from the sun each day to cover the distance travelled.  Very little grid tie at all.

• Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

OK, we've come right back to the same old tired food fight here.  Locked.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case