Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

SLS Artemis 1 coverage.

Thought Id start a new thread dedicated to the launch tomorrow. Hope the mods don't mind. Might be missed otherwise if its included in the other thread.

So far looking good and a 70% chance of favourable weather. 

Monday 29th.

8:33 a.m. EDT. 

12:33 GMT 

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I will watch from my home. Looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I'm thinking that when Artemis 3 lands on the Moon, the first words won't be "this is one small step", rather, it will be "please remember to like and subscribe and hit that bell". 😁

• Like 2

News from NASA on the problems encountered while filling the central stage of the Space Launch System rocket with liquid hydrogen:

"  During the transition from slow fill of liquid hydrogen into the Space Launch System rocket's core stage to fast fill operations, launch controllers saw a spike in the amount of hydrogen that is allowed to leak into the purge can, a housing covering the tail service mast umbilical's quick disconnect, or mating interface with the rocket. Engineers started reverse flow of liquid hydrogen into the core stage and are currently troubleshooting.

Although a similar issue was identified in an earlier wet dress rehearsal, it may not necessarily be the same cause. "

A little while ago NASA announced:

" As teams continue to fuel the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket's core stage with liquid oxygen (LOX) and liquid hydrogen (LH2), teams have been given a go to begin propellant loading operations for the rocket's interim cryogenic propulsion stage (ICPS). The ICPS is the upper stage of the rocket responsible for giving the Orion spacecraft the big push it needs to head toward the Moon.

The core stage LOX tank is more than 80% filled, and the core stage LH2 tank is more than 61% filled. Although the LH2 tank is larger than the LOX tank, LOX is denser than LH2 and takes longer to load.

Teams continue to work toward a two-hour launch window that opens at 8:33 a.m. EDT, from Launch Pad 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Coverage of tanking operations continues on NASA TV and the agency's website and the NASA app. A full launch broadcast will begin at 6:30 a.m. EDT. "

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, aparently they switched to slow flow and as the tank cooled the leak reduced to within acceptable parameters.

Countdown continues. 

I'm still waiting for the fuel I put in my car to reach acceptable paremeters. £1.80 a litre, ouch! 😉

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In a hold at the moment. Troubleshooting a couple of issues.

Should know in ten minutes what's happening. 

Crack in some insulation and an engine conditioning issue.

Edit: Looks like the crack isn't an issue, was detected by sensors but may have been nonexistent. 

Just the engine bleed to sort out. Enough time to rectify within the launch window.

Edited by martin-w

Light this candle! 🚀

UPDATE:  SCRUB just called!  😳

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The launch has apparently been scrubbed for the day.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Launch scrubbed till Friday?

Thats terrible news. I’ll have to help my wife in the garden now😫

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DD_Arthur said:

Launch scrubbed till Friday?

Thats terrible news. I’ll have to help my wife in the garden now😫

😁

• Like 1