Sign in to follow this  
Donka

AMD GPU in SU10

Can anyone with a decent AMD GPU such as 6800 or 6900XT feed back on how SU10 is performing? I’ve read mixed reports in the past of AMD GPUs offering good frame rates but not as smooth as NVIDIA. 
I’m contemplating a switch for the extra vram so any input would be much appreciated. 

Edited by Donka
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I'm running a 6700xt with 12GB and a 5900x.  So far I'm getting 40-50 frames at 1440p all settings on Ultra and AIG traffic at 85% at major airports.  DX12 in SU10 is running smooth as silk.

Edited by solwell1
  • Like 1

I've always had great performance with my 6900XT (5900X CPU) and SU10 is no different... running at 4K with 80% render scaling/200 TLOD... everything else on Ultra.  DX12 is extremely smooth; but unfortunately I have major issues with default scenery tiles showing through the higher resolution overlays at airports.  I don't get the impression that this is happening to every AMD GPU user, so it may driver-related or a setting... not really sure.  DX11 performance is also very good (smoothness may be a tiny bit better in DX12, but I would call the difference "infinitesimal" ) with none of the DX12 scenery texture problems.  I'm sticking with DX11 for now.

• Like 1

I've got a 6900 XT at 4K, and I tried both DX11 and DX12. Frame rates were looking good on DX11, I was getting high 50s around my home airport with tops at 60. I'm pretty sure this is better than what I was getting before SU10.

On DX12 there may have been a slight improvement in fps, but it was minimal. In spite of this I'm going to stick with DX12. It looks good and I saw that magic 60 fps more than what I was getting with DX11.

Mike Beckwith

1 minute ago, Highmike said:

I've got a 6900 XT, and I tried both DX11 and DX12. Frame rates were looking good on DX11, I was getting high 50s around my home airport with tops at 60. I'm pretty sure this is better than what I was getting before SU10.

On DX12 there may have been a slight improvement in fps, but it was minimal. In spite of this I'm going to stick with DX12. It looks good and I saw that magic 60 fps more than what I was getting with DX11.

What resolution are you running? I have a 6800xt, although I downloaded SU10 I had to go to work, so I actually haven't had time to try SU10 yet.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Yeah, I edited my post after you quoted me. I'm running at 4K. I updated my driver about a week ago for the X-Plane demo, so it is the latest stable version. I don't know the number from memory.

Mike Beckwith

I am running a 6800XT with a 5800x3D. I have MSFS set at 1920x1080 and use AMD Super Resolution to upscale to 2560x1440. Everything is on Ultra with 200 LOD's, frame rate set to 50% with 120mhz refresh rate. Frames are almost always at a steady 60 fps.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

I have an 6900 XT with a 8700K@5.0GHz and I am perfectly fine with one exception: DX12: while I get much smoother FPS with DX12 due to the load shifted from the CPU to the GPU, I suffer from those annoying texture tile error using DX12. With DX11, no issues at all but slightly worse performance. 

Currently I run my sim at 1440p with resolution scale 130 to move as much load as possible to the GPU. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks all, sounds like there are no concerns with running AMD then.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I have a 6700XT and a 5800X3D and the performance has been really good with SU10, and it seems like DX12 improves CPU load / mainthread frame time by at least 20%.

The GPU is a bit on the weak side for my 3840 x 1600 display, but in most normal situations I get around 40 fps, ultra with few exceptions, terrain LOD 200. Some scenarios with high cloud coverage can lead to fps drops to low 30s, and in some spots with lots of trees I get slightly under 30.

DX12 doesn't make a difference in terms of FPS in GPU limited scenarios (I barely run into CPU limit, mostly in large airports), but still I think the frametimes are smoother, and with a faster GPU I'd be able to reach 60-80 fps most of the time.

Artifacts are an occasional issue with DX12: I occasionally see the apron / taxiway / runway ground tiles disappearing like others mentioned, but as far as I remember from the official forums, it also affects Nvidia users.

I also get vertical stripes all over the screen when there's clouds and haze to render, this is a known issue for 6700XT and very few similar models (I think 6700 and 6750X), 6800 and 6900 series aren't affected. Check it out here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cloud-texture-shows-vertical-lines-amd-dx12/530076

I got the 6700XT for MSRP in August last year, so I can't complain, and planning to upgrade once the new generation is widely available. Anyway, even though I'd like to have a bit more performance, I'm pretty happy for now. It runs really smooth in DX11 too, the SU10 improved the overall performance for me, and DX12 made a huge leap forward with SU10 - up to SU9 there was no way I could use it because it was a stuttery mess.

• Like 3

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Got a 3080 FE which performs really well on my ultra wide but bumping up against that 10GB vram limit on occasion and not currently invested in DLSS so considering a switch to a 6900XT. The cost difference to switch is next to nothing in the current market - thinking second hand or potential price drops with the upcoming next gen cards.

I don't see myself going for next gen at this time as I'll pretty much be cpu bound anyway so will hold off for another year and look to upgrade the full lot to AM5 platform and next gen gpu once prices and stability are solid.

I did some tinkering with the Radeon Super Resolution implementation and I was impressed with the results. I've got a 5900X and a 6900XT at 4K with the Adrenalin 22.5.1 driver.

First I enabled Super Resolution in the Radeon Adrenalin software and set the screen resolution in the sim to 3200 x 1800. Then I set the render scaling to 120 which is equal to 4K, and that's all it took!

I've got V-Sync on so I set the frame rate limit to 100% monitor refresh rate which is 60 Hz.

When I got into the sim I was getting 60 fps most of the time around my home airport - YSTW, and it dropped to as low as mid 50s when I looked around at the scenery or when flying over the local city - Tamworth, NSW.

The textures were a little softer in the distance but that only made it more realistic because it looked like a soft haze.

So, you don't need a Nvidia card to get the super sampling functionality.

• Like 1

Mike Beckwith

10 hours ago, Highmike said:

I did some tinkering with the Radeon Super Resolution implementation and I was impressed with the results. I've got a 5900X and a 6900XT at 4K with the Adrenalin 22.5.1 driver.

First I enabled Super Resolution in the Radeon Adrenalin software and set the screen resolution in the sim to 3200 x 1800. Then I set the render scaling to 120 which is equal to 4K, and that's all it took!

I've got V-Sync on so I set the frame rate limit to 100% monitor refresh rate which is 60 Hz.

When I got into the sim I was getting 60 fps most of the time around my home airport - YSTW, and it dropped to as low as mid 50s when I looked around at the scenery or when flying over the local city - Tamworth, NSW.

The textures were a little softer in the distance but that only made it more realistic because it looked like a soft haze.

So, you don't need a Nvidia card to get the super sampling functionality.

This still needs to be enabled in the game itself to work though, that's why AMD have a list of currently supported titles and those with upcoming support. Are you sure you are not just seeing the in game upscaling?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/fidelityfx-super-resolution

Yeah, there's something more to it. I'm getting higher frame rates with the RSR enabled, but this could be because the image sharpening is disabled when the RSR is enabled. I'll have to do some more testing.

When I look at the Adrenalin popup in game I see the upscale status warning that it is inactive, so what I'm seeing must be due to some other factor as you say.

In any case the RSR tech looks like it will deliver a performance boost when eventually it is fully implemented.

Mike Beckwith

I have the 6900xt for a year now, rock solid. MSFS is still CPU limited.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium