Sign in to follow this  
matmatoo

AI Traffic Behaviour in MSFS2020

Hi all,

Recently I got back into simming after the purchase of a new  gaming rig, in preparation to play the super exciting MSFS2020.

I downloaded and installed the AIG traffic softwares as I love flying around in super busy skies, listening and watching all the other traffic around me. The AIG system was great, installed heaps of airlines and started flying around LAX and ORD when I noticed some planes flying 200m from the ground, and some planes landing in nearby paddocks.

My question to all of you is this - how can we fix this? The simulator has been out for a few years now, and is the AI traffic still this bad? I couldn't believe how bad it was!

I tried PSXT and RealTraffic but the issue with these is that it only spawns traffic at your departure and arrival airport. I would have preferred traffic spawning at airports around me, ie JFK, Newark, Laguardia etc.

Does anyone have any tips to fix the AI traffic behaviour? The sim is amazing but the AI is something quite shocking!

Thanks all,

Matt

35 minutes ago, matmatoo said:

I traffic behaviour? The sim is amazing but the AI is something quite shocking!

Microsoft and Asobo have been dancing around the subject of fixing the AI and ATC for over two years now. There needs to be more pressure from the community for them to finally start fixing the glaring issues and they're fixing anything and everything else, but this. Drives me nuts and is one of my hottest buttons with them. 

Edited by Drumcode
  • Like 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

36 minutes ago, matmatoo said:

Does anyone have any tips to fix the AI traffic behaviour?

Nope, it's all on Asobo's end for that.

I just cant believe so much energy and effort has been put into making a beautiful simulator, easily far better than anything we've had before, and yet something as simple as AI traffic has let it down entirely. Even AI was better in previous simulators. Really really disappointing.

What is everyone using in the mean time? ie PSXT Real Traffic or AIG (with planes flying all over the place?)

I've looked into VATSIM with a AI Model matcher but correct me if im wrong, but this is totally dependent on other simmers flying the routes, and this would mean that some flights simply won't be flown if someone isnt on the other end to fly it, right?

Cheers all,
Matt

58 minutes ago, matmatoo said:

Does anyone have any tips to fix the AI traffic behaviour? The sim is amazing but the AI is something quite shocking!

If you can justify/afford a subscription, then RealTraffic from Inside Systems, alongside freeware PSXseeconTraffic (donations welcome) and using Alpha India Group's AI models, all combine to replicate real-world airline traffic around the world.
Incredibly realistic traffic separation, approaches (e.g. KJFK Parkway Visual, LGSM DME or LPMA Visual 05), altitudes, etc. because your in-sim AI traffic is recreating exactly what is happening in real life.

Wouldn't have enjoyed MSFS airliner flights nearly as much if it wasn't for live AI traffic.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

50 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

If you can justify/afford a subscription, then RealTraffic from Inside Systems, alongside freeware PSXseeconTraffic (donations welcome) and using Alpha India Group's AI models, all combine to replicate real-world airline traffic around the world.
Incredibly realistic traffic separation, approaches (e.g. KJFK Parkway Visual, LGSM DME or LPMA Visual 05), altitudes, etc. because your in-sim AI traffic is recreating exactly what is happening in real life.

Wouldn't have enjoyed MSFS airliner flights nearly as much if it wasn't for live AI traffic.

Thanks for the tip, I'm using this mix already but just wish that it would populate other airports around the area I was flying in/could hear the traffic on ATC, but I agree, its the best option I've found so far.

6 minutes ago, matmatoo said:

Thanks for the tip, I'm using this mix already but just wish that it would populate other airports around the area I was flying in/could hear the traffic on ATC, but I agree, its the best option I've found so far.

I am not sure what you mean. You can increase the traffic radius in the PSXT settings. But be aware the larger the radius, the more it will effect your FPS.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

54 minutes ago, matmatoo said:

Yeah as @Silicus says, if your radius is wide enough you should see aircraft all around you, not just at your arrival or destination airport. You don’t have a traffic limiter like AICompanion on do you?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

@matmatoo I think you're spot on in your description of the state of default AI traffic. It's easy to be blown away by a lot in this sim, but AI traffic is severely lacking. Watching airliners doing pirouettes on the taxiways, taking forever to vacate the runway, kamikaze-style flying at 200ft... it's just ridiculous. 

I think I've gone through all the options except for VATSIM:

• Live Traffic with AIG models - obviously default movement near/at the airport
  • SimpleTraffic (still depends on how Asobo handles AI movement near/at the airport)
  • AIG flight plans (still depends on how Asobo handles AI movement near/at the airport). And the AIG traffic controller is super-buggy
  • FSHud ATC addon with AIG models and GA traffic (still depends on how Asobo handles AI movement near/at the airport)
  • PSXT Real Traffic - jerky movement that ruins the immersion IMO, monthly subscription 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”